PDA

View Full Version : Help on Game Strategy to beat this person......

Chieferson
03-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi. This Friday i am going to be playing a challenge match to put me into varsity next year, and i just need a good game plan to beat him. He has:
-Topspin forehand (main weapon)
-So so one handed backhand(slice and topspin...so so)
-OK movement
-OK serves
-and a big mouth and ego to go along with it :D

My plan was to pretty much loopy topspin to his backhand and try to get him to run around his forehand and open up the court. Is that ok? My friend usual beats him 6-2, 6-2 by slicing and dinking the ball to him, but im not that good of a pusher like him :) Thanks!

@wright
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
You haven't told us what kind of game he plays, only attributes of his game. It's hard to determine what you need to do by this. With the little snippets of information you have given, I would say attack the so so backhand(it would help to know if he screws up on high bouncing topspin backhands, for examples, so you could give him lots of these). Run him side to side alot because his movement is just ok and break him because his serve is just okay, no return errors from your side will help. Does he volley well? Does he camp out on the baseline? Does he push? Is he a shotmaker? These are the kinds of questions that will help us help you.

kevhen
03-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Just hit everything to his backhand side and come into net when you have him really pinned down and then volley crosscourt for the winner. I love playing guys with great forehands because then I just go relentlessly at their backhands and they usually explode mentally from not being able to hit so many forehands. I hate lefties with strong forehands though since I have to try to reverse all my usual patterns. Good look in hitting everything at his backhand side, when he does hit forehands he will make more errors since that side will get rusty during the match.

Tennis is a game of balance and you have to near evenly balanced on both sides unless you have some extreme footspeed.

vin
03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
I've had pretty good success with attacking weak backhands. Once you get the ball to their backhand, it's usually pretty easy to start attacking their backhand with inside out forehands (if you have a good forehand).

If you can consistently hit solid forehands like this, you'll usually force an error, or cause them to be impatient and go for a shot that they most likely won't make. Or even better, you'll get a sitter for an easy put away.

This doesn't work as well if the weak backhander has a somewhat decent slice. Especially if you're like me and not good at returning short low balls.

Whatever you decide on, keep it simple and natural. Otherwise you might end up thinking about the strategy too much like I often do and end up playing worse than if you just played simple percentage tennis.

Vin

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 08:42 AM
I would say the posts above are excellent. You can go anyway.

I would return every serve in the court play them all defensively unless your up 0-40 then go for it. For rally's I would go after his backhand. You can do this by 1-3 combo (one forehand crosscourt and three backhands) or there of. Just make sure you hit a good shot to his forehand. If you dont hit a good shot to his forehand and he is able to start controlling the point, hit your shots back defensivley to nuetrlize his control, then start your combo again. This is what you call WORKING THE POINT. The key is not going after the return of serve, but his backhand. I wouldnt care if he hits a slice or with topspin.

The other thing to look for is a one segment shot, as soon as you see it charge the net. Unless of course your a serve and volleyer then your doing it no matter what! Since his movement is just ok, you will get plenty of one segment shots with your crosscourt shots - especially if you run him.

So use your combination along with a mix of crosscourt only (running him) shot tactics. If yor up in score go for the backhand combo. Obviously, you should break off your tactics if you get a sitter before your combinations have begun or you have an easy putaway - I think that goes without saying.

But I cant stress it enough no matter what you do, look intently for that one segment shot which will come up more often then not. As soon as you see he is not going to be able to get his hips in the shot and will only be able to hit it back to you with his arm only - GO! GO! GO! Run to the net and eat him alive.

Strategy is only good if you can execute!

vin
03-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Bill, what is a 'one segment shot'?

Camilio Pascual
03-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Get yourself into a good frame of mind and approach the match with a good attitude. Totally forget that he has a big mouth and ego to go along with it. That will just distract you, his mouth cannot hit a good forehand. Pay attention only to what he can do to the ball.

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Vin, a one segment shot is when you have your opponent on the run and you know based on the ball you hit he will not be able to setup to get his hips or legs in the stroke. He will hit the ball mostly using his arm. He is off balance.

Here is what I see when I visit local tournament. Player A hits a ball corsscourt, Player B hits it back with a good stroke. Player A hits it crosscourt again, but this time Player B is caught leaning the other way and has to adjust his balance to get to the ball to "put a racquet on it" and just get it back - he is in a very defensive position. At that moment when you see your opponent scrambling you should right away start coming in - knowing that his ball will be a weak reply - unless of course your playing Superman.

Most club players "watch" the player do this without thinking they should be coming in to hit an approach or better yet a volley to control the point for good. There is a high percentage chance the player B will not see you coming in because he cant watch you and the ball (especially since his head postion will be more sideways) at the same time. If he lobs and hits a lob winner - clap. The majority of the time he will send up a weak lob or a weak groundstroke to get back into the point.

Think of the times when you move one direction and your opponent hits behind you. It is very difficult to get set and hit a solid groundstroke deep. You end up "arming" the ball back to just get your position reestablished.

Most club players have their opponent hitting a one segment shot but they dont move in quick enough (it is like they are saying "can he get it, can he get it, can he get it" to themselves), they hang back and wait, if it is short they move in a little, hit the ball, then go back to the baseline! UGGGGGH!

Go in and take control. You should be moving in as he is beginning to get to the ball and put it away if you can.

This is why we all practice different shots. To use them together for our tactics. So when your practicing you should be practicing all of your shots to get proficient at them so you can "work points".

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 01:56 PM
"Resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other guy dies." - Det. Tim Bayliss, "Homicide: Life on the Street"

Absolutely love your "quote" very funny!

vin
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks Bill, I thought you were talking about the sneack attack, but wasn't sure. It's something I've read about plenty of times but still have to implement on my game. I think I just need to be more observant of my opponent being in trouble.

Vin

Camilio Pascual
03-05-2004, 03:32 AM
BB - And it's so true. Thanks. I liked your comment about coming in and just clap if you get beat by a lob winner. Most players get upset by one lob winner and will quit coming in when that is the way to win.

Bungalo Bill
03-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks Bill, I thought you were talking about the sneack attack, but wasn't sure. It's something I've read about plenty of times but still have to implement on my game. I think I just need to be more observant of my opponent being in trouble.

Vin

Vin, both are very similar. The one I am describing is when he is in trouble or has to scramble because you hit a well placed ball or he is off balance. Most players kind of "hang" and see if the player is going to reach it. They watch and watch and watch. Then you get those players moving up in ranks and they say "geee all the balls that should have been winners with the "boys" back home, these guys are running them down! This is a whole different level"

Maybe, maybe not. I would say at least half of the responsibility is on the player watching. He should be coming in on that player that is runnign them down, no one is Superman.

Here is my point. A long time ago (in my college days), boy I feel old, there was a player I knew could kick my butt (actually there were a lot of players), my coach worked on this very thing (recognizing one segment shots). We were given flash cards of a guy stretching to get the ball, and a normal groundstroke. We were required to flip through these flash cards real fast. We were suppose to say out loud, the words GO and Hold GROUND. If we got a card that showed a one segment shot - we said GO and so on. What this did was trained my vision and brain to recognize that move, and as soon as I recognized the patterns forming to complete that move, my feet automatically responded - BOOM! I was gone.

I lost to the guy but instead of it being a wipe out, it was one of the biggest struggles he has ever had.

I simply knew how to take better care of the ball I hit.

Bungalo Bill
03-05-2004, 01:46 PM
BB - And it's so true. Thanks. I liked your comment about coming in and just clap if you get beat by a lob winner. Most players get upset by one lob winner and will quit coming in when that is the way to win.

Yes, it is very true and very humorous.