PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving James Blake's tennis game

bdawg
05-19-2006, 12:41 AM
I saw this guy play Ancic and his game is so entertaining. His forehand is huge! Even on clay his game is fun to watch. I don't personally like the stye of a Nadal or Hewitt even though they are effective. I'm hoping Blake goes far this year so we can watch him become more succesful.

brucie
05-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Hes a gr8 player, and his mum was english so we brits can claim him sort of too! Haha Seriously its a shame what he s been through, he broke his spine etc. etc curvature of spine etc. etc. Do you think this has made him a better or worse player, the obvious answer is he could have been better if nothing happened. But maybe it motivated him more?

jings
05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Ironically he's getting more success now as he plays a more patient game, working himself into points better before unleashing the big dog. He's a beautifully pure striker of the ball and when on is very very tough to beat. I'm delighted to see him doing well again and hope it continues. A fit and on form Blake at Wimbledon could be interesting as he has a pretty good net game and hits flat and hard off both wings. Don't expect too much at RG, even though he beat Moya this week.

brucie
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Ironically he's getting more success now as he plays a more patient game, working himself into points better before unleashing the big dog. He's a beautifully pure striker of the ball and when on is very very tough to beat. I'm delighted to see him doing well again and hope it continues. A fit and on form Blake at Wimbledon could be interesting as he has a pretty good net game and hits flat and hard off both wings. Don't expect too much at RG, even though he beat Moya this week.

Yeah and US OPens good for him too! :p

jings
05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
It is brucie and last years run should mean he goes in really believing this year. I think Blake holding the US trophy would be a wonderful thing. Wouldn't be a dry eye in the house if he won it, probably including me and I'm a stiff upper lipped Brit. And no I wouldn't rather see Agassi win it in case anyone's interested - he's had his chances over the years ... assuming he can even make it this year.

brucie
05-19-2006, 02:40 AM
It is brucie and last years run should mean he goes in really believing this year. I think Blake holding the US trophy would be a wonderful thing. Wouldn't be a dry eye in the house if he won it, probably including me and I'm a stiff upper lipped Brit. And no I wouldn't rather see Agassi win it in case anyone's interested - he's had his chances over the years ... assuming he can even make it this year.

I'd always like to see blake do well! I know his game doesn't suit clay but it would be great to see him drawn against Nadal at some point in the tournament, I mean he can beat Nadal on hard courts and the french is quite quick for clay so although nadal would be favourite his record against Balake would make him feel uncomfortable!

ta11geese3
05-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Yeah, after watching that blake-nadal match at the plo on video I became a Blake fan. His game is just too explosive to not like. On a side note, I watched the match live at the plo, but didn't think much of it until I watched it again...

J-man
05-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Since Blake made this comeback to the top 10 I've been a fan of his. He has such a good attitude he plays well. He's just a great player all around

bdawg
05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
I'd love to see Blake play Nadal at Roland Garros. I know he doesn't have that good a chance but I think Nadal would still have problems with that Blake forehand , especially since he takes it so early.

marcus_alsager
05-19-2006, 07:30 AM
if nadal has never beaten blake then blake will always have an advantage over him

randomname
05-19-2006, 07:36 AM
thats like saying nadal has the advantage over federer on grass....

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 07:48 AM
No doubt, watching James play his best game is a treat. I have the Agassi-Blake semi on my computer, and it's a great one to relive, even though he lost the match. Just wish he would have slowed down his pace of play at times, especially when serving.

It's hard to find a tennis fan who doesn't like him, and no wonder. With the hardship, the comeback story, and his grit and attitude, what's not to like. The only down side is that he's sometimes like Safin: because he's been inconsistent in recent years, you're hesitant to put too much hope in his results, because sometimes he's capable of losing matches he shouldn't. But obviously James' consistency has improved a lot in the last year.

Definitely look forward to watching him chase down running forehands and crack winners on hard courts this summer. Any results on clay in the meantime is just bonus.

dubsplayer
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
No doubt, watching James play his best game is a treat. I have the Agassi-Blake semi on my computer, and it's a great one to relive, even though he lost the match. Just wish he would have slowed down his pace of play at times, especially when serving.

It's hard to find a tennis fan who doesn't like him, and no wonder. With the hardship, the comeback story, and his grit and attitude, what's not to like. The only down side is that he's sometimes like Safin: because he's been inconsistent in recent years, you're hesitant to put too much hope in his results, because sometimes he's capable of losing matches he shouldn't. But obviously James' consistency has improved a lot in the last year.

Definitely look forward to watching him chase down running forehands and crack winners on hard courts this summer. Any results on clay in the meantime is just bonus.

I'm not a fan, but not a hater either. He falls into the category of I Could Care Less. Plus, if I have to hear his "story" one more time I think I'll blow my brains out.

LordRaceR
05-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, Blake is really cool and fun to watch. My kind of game :)

Progressive10s
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
The mental game is so underrated. Federer probably fights his mental demons everytime he plays Nadal. I wouldn't give Rafa much of a chance of beating Roger at Wimbledon. If Blake faced Nadal at the French Open, the clay court would be the great neutralizer for Nadal. He's on HIS surface against a player who has a spotty history on clay. I would love to see Blake go deep into the French Open, but he has to be patient and wait for opportunties and be mentally tough!

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm not a fan, but not a hater either. He falls into the category of I Could Care Less. Plus, if I have to hear his "story" one more time I think I'll blow my brains out.

Give it 10 or 15 years, when you have some idea of what life is about, you will appreciate what he's been through and accomplished and how rare it is for people to come through things such as he has with his optimism, appreciation, patience, perspective, and humility.

Or maybe you won't.:(

Freedom
05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Would you be interested in sharing that semifinal video with me Gugafan? I haven't seen it.

bdawg
05-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I think it's on a torrent site. I think you'll have to "spy" to find out which one.

Freedom
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Meh. I tried to get some stuff from there, but I either did something wrong, or I skipped a step somewhere. I ended up with a huge file...full of nothing?

Someone want to explain torrents to me?

dubsplayer
05-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Give it 10 or 15 years, when you have some idea of what life is about, you will appreciate what he's been through and accomplished and how rare it is for people to come through things such as he has with his optimism, appreciation, patience, perspective, and humility.

I'm 50, think I have a pretty good handle on what "life is about."

Oricus
05-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Well people all go through tough times, the man could of been paralyzed. Not too mention he had the shingles, his father died during that stretch, and is also born with scoliosis.

I'm sorry if you have a problem with hearing the story, and it might be a little drawn out by now. But the man went through a lot and you can see he appreciates every bit of what life gives him, especially on the tennis court.

arnz
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM

I guess he didnt?? :)

arnz
05-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Really?? I could of sworn you were 15...:mrgreen:

(J/K)

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Fair enough. My persective is, lots of guys can hit a tennis ball -- and do, without captivating my interest. James story, on the other hand, though talked about a lot, is compelling and inspiring.

Doesn't make me want to blow my brains. Does the opposite.

Carry on.

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Meh. I tried to get some stuff from there, but I either did something wrong, or I skipped a step somewhere. I ended up with a huge file...full of nothing?

Someone want to explain torrents to me?

A couple possibilities. The file will appear huge even before it's downloaded completely. That is, Windows will describe it as 1,200, 000 kilobytes (or whatever) as soon as your BT client begins downloading. But, obviously, if it's not complete, it won't play. Use the client to tell you if it's complete, which it displays as a percentage (100%).

By the way, I think the best client is utorrent (the Greek letter "mu") www.utorrent.com (http://www.utorrent.com)

The other main thing is probably your player. Most vids on bittorent are encoded with divx codec. You'll need the free basic player from www.divx.com (http://www.divx.com)

Wouldn't hurt to search for a zip package of other audio and video codecs called "Usual Suspects" codec pack, so named because if your file won't play or has no sound, these are the usual suspects. Google it, download the zip, install the files inside.

This is all for PC, by the way. If you're on Mac, I can't help you.

Try that out, and post results.:D

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I think it's on a torrent site. I think you'll have to "spy" to find out which one.

Torrent file is here: http://www.geocities.com/rosaponselle/

(second match from the top)

Direct link: http://www.geocities.com/rosaponselle/agabla.zip

For BT newbs, unzip this file, and open the .torrent file inside with your BT client. Double-clicking should open it in your client, assuming a standard install in Windows.

Go James! Don't forget to make popcorn for watching this 5-settter night match at the Open. Great atmosphere. You won't want to turn it off.

lucky leprechaun
05-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Blake's tennis game puts him at the top of the list for me, him and federer being so similar in style. But he's only my third favorite player tied with nadal. I think he's too nice, almost to a fault. Just not my cup of tea, but if we're just talking about tennis, I could watch more blake matches before getting bored as compared to watching nadal for example.

bdawg
05-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I find Nadal's game boring. I know some people will automatically refute my argument by saying that Federer is a giant loser. But I think at least guys like Blake, FEderer, and Gonzales try to win the match even though it may not be the greatest strategy on all surfaces. It think it's worthy of respect.