PDA

View Full Version : If you have a matchpoint to win the match...

ctbmar
05-19-2006, 01:34 AM
would you
a) Take a risk by going for your shots and try to hit a winner by aiming the lines?
b) Play it safe by hitting relatively deep and consistently with minimal risk, hoping that the opponent will make the mistake?

brucie
05-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Play the same way as the play that got me to match point don't change anything if its got you that far! That makes sense really.

David L
05-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Play the same way as the play that got me to match point don't change anything if its got you that far! That makes sense really.

Precisely.

Shabazza
05-19-2006, 03:34 AM
right, but normally your opponent doesn't play the same way, so you have to adapt a little...

Nuke
05-19-2006, 04:30 AM
I'll go for a shot if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't push to end the point quicker than a normal point. In fact, I may take a bit off my first serve to insure getting it in. On my matchpoint, the pressure is on my opponent.

Rasta
05-19-2006, 04:44 AM
I'll go for a shot if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't push to end the point quicker than a normal point. In fact, I may take a bit off my first serve to insure getting it in. On my matchpoint, the pressure is on my opponent.
I agree with this philosophy. Get your first serve in and keep the ball deep.

chess9
05-19-2006, 04:53 AM
I almost always play a bit conservatively on match point for three reasons:

1. I'm a bit nervous;
2. My opponent is a bit nervous;
3. I tend to have an adrenaline spike when nervous, so I tend to overhit;

However, if I'm up 5-0, 40-0, or close, and I'm serving for match point I will simply serve lights out. Two first serves. Why not? Your opponent has probably mentally given up anyway.

-Robert

Eviscerator
05-19-2006, 05:24 AM
None of the above.

Ripper
05-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Not conservative. It, almost, never pays to play conservative, in that situation. Unless your oponent is playing very bad, in that precise moment; then, yes, "dink" and/or "push" everything back to him (or her) and let him (or her) auto destroy.

PS: Btw, this belongs in the Tips Forum.

thejackal
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
I think for baseliners the best way is deep down the middle until a short ball presents itself.

LordRaceR
05-19-2006, 07:33 AM

I agree 110 %

predrag
05-19-2006, 07:41 AM

With some modifications.

If the match is close, one is probably nervous, reaching the match point finally.
What Laver said, when he was nervous he was trying to swing faster. Since
he was hitting with topspin, this actually meant more topspin, and that gave
more margin for error, while still being fairly agressive.

Most important thing is not to make stupid errors.

Regards, Predrag

wyutani
05-19-2006, 07:47 AM
"I will not take risk by playing safe & consistent shots, hoping that my opponent makes an error" --> this sounds like me...

matchpoint
05-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree with Brucie and David L, keep your playing strategy obviously it's working. The poll should have this option, it should not be just taking risk or playing safe.

right, but normally your opponent doesn't play the same way, so you have to adapt a little...

Shabazza, I will agree with you on this if you are still in the middle of the set and your opponent changes his style and he's overcoming you then you should adapt, but the question here is it's matchpoint, what's there to change?

arosen
05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
I would definitely go for an ace on the first serve, if I feel that I served well up to this point. Otherwise a solid first, out wide, then fh or bh into the corner. You know, the classic.

Freedom
05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Do everything in your power to hit your opponent with the ball.

Buuurnz
05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
depends on the score... if it's 6:2 5:2 4:15 I'll def go for an winner but if it's 6:6 in the third and 6:5 I'll just try to hit deep balls and wait for him to make an error or if he gets shorter try to go for it!

ralphtifftennis
05-19-2006, 09:57 AM

The original question is loaded.

I pretty much agree with Nuke. Though I tend to increase the pressure slightly, in any manner possible.

I don't want him to be to comfortable just getting the ball back in play and expecting such. He is going to know if something goes short or weak I will pressure him. I am also looking to hit with my forehand and to be sure he is moving. :)

kevhen
05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I have lost too many match and set points by playing safe and then watching my 4.0-4.5 opponent hit a winner so I tend to play a little more aggressive on big points, but I still try to play within myself and not hit too close to the lines, but just a little more pace and more spin and tighter placement.

If really depends on the level you play at. Against 3.5 players, I could play safe on big points, but against strong 4.0-4.5 guys, you can't just wait for them to make an error especially on big points where they are really focused.

Fatmike
05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
1- Try the ace

2- Is score is really tight, I will wait for the error or a ball I can attack easily.

3- If I lead by a few games, I'll try the winner

marcus_alsager
05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
if im serving and like 40-0 i will go as BIG as i can. If im serving like 40-30 just get it in. on both if they return play hard as i can. If they have a soft serve go for a winner down the line or summit cus they wont expect it, if they have a big serve just keep it in and during the rally if the time is right, turn on the power

donnyz89
05-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Depends on how many match pts i got...

If I got 2+ then, i would be aggressive hoping my opponent cracks. He will likely push my aggresive shots back so I will look to attack the net because its not likely he will hit a great passing shot at match pt down.

but if I only got 1, then I would more likely to play conservative, especially if the match has been close, i dont want to do too much.

Dan007
05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I hit a really good aproach, then come in. In this case most of the time my oponent makes an error, if they don't I put away the easy volley. I also like to dictate that last point by moving my oponent all over the court. I don't aim for the line on matchpoints because it's too risky, so I hit it close to the line then come in the baseline and if the ball lands between the baseline and service line I hit it in to the open court.

FiveO
05-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Neither.

"Dance with the girl that brung ya."

...in other words, play the game that got you into this position. Take a lesson from the much ballyhoo'ed mistake of Roger Federer in the '05 Aussie Open when he hit that between the legs showboat shot while up matchpoint. Don't do something ill-advised with a chance to close.

One of the biggest hurdles to get over in tennis is learning how to "close out" a match. Realize that the only thing that has changed in the match is your perception of the value of the point, and perhaps the opponent's (i.e. he/she will do anything to hang in OR he/she is apt to quit)...MATCH POINT...oh my.

Play the same style of ball that got you to that point. Recognizing and doing just that will only foster your ability to close the deal and prevent those "amazing comebacks" by an opponent and/or the debilitating feeling that you choked or very nearly choked a win away.

The idea is to win the match and get off the court. Never lose sight of that. Stay within yourself. Keep playing high percentage tennis. And, don't stop until the deal is done.

Kabob190
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
:( two tournaments later, havent had a match point yet. i have one in a couple of weeks hopefully ill get one then. i dont know what i would do. probably the same of what i was doing all match.