PDA

View Full Version : Video shots needed to make a proper USTA Rank

dmvprof
05-19-2006, 05:56 AM
If I were to try to make a video, or a few videos of my game, and post them, what sort of content would be needed to get me an accurate USTA rating?

Few minutes of forehand,

Few minutes of backhand,

Volleys,

Serve?

Maybe some rally's with another player?

kevhen
05-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Yes all that would be good, with some match play throw in. Simplest way for me to judge an opponent's overall game from just one stroke is to watch their overhead. But the more strokes the better.

dmvprof
05-19-2006, 06:15 AM
lol, Over head, you'd rate me a 2.5. My worst shot by far.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 06:26 AM
If I were to try to make a video, or a few videos of my game, and post them, what sort of content would be needed to get me an accurate USTA rating?

Few minutes of forehand,

Few minutes of backhand,

Volleys,

Serve?

Maybe some rally's with another player?

To start out you don't need match play. the coaches here can rate you to get started and let the match play sort things out from there. Just produce some film on the following:

1. Serve practice: 1st and 2nd serve

2. forehand only for a about 10 shots

3. backhand for 10 shots

4. volleys both backhand and forehand (10 shots each), some deep in the box and some in the 2nd position

5. Overheads (5 is fine)

6. Give me a few slice backhands as well.

That should be fine.

cak
05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
To get an accurate USTA rating you need to play USTA tennis. Your strokes can look like Fed's, but if you can't win the points your rating will still be 2.5.

However, to get a guess there are lots of folks on this board that would be happy to provide you with a rating with just about anything.

Andres
05-19-2006, 07:22 AM
To get an accurate USTA rating you need to play USTA tennis. Your strokes can look like Fed's, but if you can't win the points your rating will still be 2.5.

However, to get a guess there are lots of folks on this board that would be happy to provide you with a rating with just about anything.
The exact opposite of NTRP, which rates your strokes only. How odd. :?
If your strokes look like Federer's, you can be rated 7.0 ... ALMOST despite the results of your matches.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 07:33 AM
The exact opposite of NTRP, which rates your strokes only. How odd. :?
If your strokes look like Federer's, you can be rated 7.0 ... ALMOST despite the results of your matches.

Well this is true and not so true. You are leaving out some key information.

The NTRP initially is a self-rating system. A player can rate themselves, see how they do, and adjust from there. Or, if they prove to be better than they thought, they might get bumped up.

If a player wants a little more objectivity, he can ask someone for help, like a coach, etc...

In this case, he is really asking for a self-rating given to him by other people which he can evaluate. From there, he can enter a tournament at a "certain" level and see how he performs.

Even if a player loses, it still does not mean that person should not be competing at the level chosen.

dmvprof
05-19-2006, 07:36 AM
One thing I think is interesting is that fitness isn't really listed as a consideration. I could have flawless strokes, but weight 350 pounds, and have a high rating. Even though I would drop like a rock after a long point.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
One thing I think is interesting is that fitness isn't really listed as a consideration. I could have flawless strokes, but weight 350 pounds, and have a high rating. Even though I would drop like a rock after a long point.

But if you dropped like a rock (which is what I seem to be doing now), how would you be rated for tournaments high?

Andres
05-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Well this is true and not so true. You are leaving out some key information.

The NTRP initially is a self-rating system. A player can rate themselves, see how they do, and adjust from there. Or, if they prove to be better than they thought, they might get bumped up.

If a player wants a little more objectivity, he can ask someone for help, like a coach, etc...

In this case, he is really asking for a self-rating given to him by other people which he can evaluate. From there, he can enter a tournament at a "certain" level and see how he performs.

Even if a player loses, it still does not mean that person should not be competing at the level chosen.
Yeah, I know, you're right ;)
That's why I used the word "ALMOST" in caps :p

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I know, you're right ;)
That's why I used the word "ALMOST" in caps :p

Oh, "allllllmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooost", yeah, I got it now. ;)

Andres
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Oh, "allllllmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooost", yeah, I got it now. ;)
The letters in CAPS complement the lack of use of the vowel repetition technique :mrgreen: :

ALMOST = aaaaaaalmost
almost =/= aaaaaaalmost ;)

chess9
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting, the talk about overheads. I've noticed that the younger players don't hit so many overheads because they don't get to the net that often. I played a kid two days ago who is turning pro next year and I took volley and overhead practice before the match and he didn't! His overheads were pretty anemic too, though his volleys were about 5.0. (His forehand was a 10! Very hard and consistent.)
Anyone else notice this? I guess they learn to hit overheads after they've played a bit more at the 6.0 and above level these days?

-Robert

Venetian
05-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Interesting, the talk about overheads. I've noticed that the younger players don't hit so many overheads because they don't get to the net that often. I played a kid two days ago who is turning pro next year and I took volley and overhead practice before the match and he didn't! His overheads were pretty anemic too, though his volleys were about 5.0. (His forehand was a 10! Very hard and consistent.)
Anyone else notice this? I guess they learn to hit overheads after they've played a bit more at the 6.0 and above level these days?

-Robert

Maybe he felt bad for you and didn't want to make you feel bad by smashing overheads at you.