PDA

View Full Version : Hard Headedness

dmvprof
05-19-2006, 06:12 AM
I often suprise myself at how damned stupid I am. I get through my life day to day fine, but then, sometimes, I get a clue and my stupidity is revealed to me.

I've been playing tennis off and on for damn near 30 years. In all of that time I have developed so many habits that are not only hard to break, but are held onto despite not being succesful at much.

Being a baseline player primarily, my ready position is with a forhand grip. It's my comfort zone. When I am setting up for a ball, if I don't have that grip, I don't feel right about the point. And for some reason, my raquets all seem to develop grooves for my grip so badly that I can only hold the raquet on one side since the grooves are reversed if I flip the grip around in my hand.

Here's where the real stupidity comes in. For years and years, people have told me to setup for volleys with my backhand grip, and keep it there even on the forhand side. But it never felt right to me. I resisted it as much as I could, and despite witnessing ball after ball going in the net or long, I still couldn't get comfortable that way. Having people simply tell me to switch didn't seem to register. It wasn't until last weekend that I forced myself into this BH grip. After a few games of feeling awkward, I started nailing volleys like I never had before, FH and BH side. It was so enthralling that the game felt brand new to me. Like I had a new toy or something.

I guess this is simply an old dog/new trick story, but I just think it's interesting that I couldn't really get behind using the grip until I got the positive feedback of good results.

So yea, I may be a bit stupid, but at least I know it. ;)

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I often suprise myself at how damned stupid I am. I get through my life day to day fine, but then, sometimes, I get a clue and my stupidity is revealed to me.

I've been playing tennis off and on for damn near 30 years. In all of that time I have developed so many habits that are not only hard to break, but are held onto despite not being succesful at much.

Being a baseline player primarily, my ready position is with a forhand grip. It's my comfort zone. When I am setting up for a ball, if I don't have that grip, I don't feel right about the point. And for some reason, my raquets all seem to develop grooves for my grip so badly that I can only hold the raquet on one side since the grooves are reversed if I flip the grip around in my hand.

Here's where the real stupidity comes in. For years and years, people have told me to setup for volleys with my backhand grip, and keep it there even on the forhand side. But it never felt right to me. I resisted it as much as I could, and despite witnessing ball after ball going in the net or long, I still couldn't get comfortable that way. Having people simply tell me to switch didn't seem to register. It wasn't until last weekend that I forced myself into this BH grip. After a few games of feeling awkward, I started nailing volleys like I never had before, FH and BH side. It was so enthralling that the game felt brand new to me. Like I had a new toy or something.

I guess this is simply an old dog/new trick story, but I just think it's interesting that I couldn't really get behind using the grip until I got the positive feedback of good results.

Well I am back on the courts teaching in the Boise area. I was helping the "coach in the park" out here and one of his students was a real dandy.

Now, this student was a real classic. Probably the most stubborn, stupid, hardheaded woman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. There are very few things I tolerate in life and stupid people are not one of them.

From the moment she gave me her "crap", I swore she would be in for a rude awakening - even if it wasn't my student. All the tips I tried to provide, to help her crummy 3.0 game, she downplayed and ignored. So I stopped giving tips and fed balls slightly out of her little two foot circle she didn't want to come out of. She would look at me and say "I told you I DON'T want to run!" So, I fed another ball out of her comfort zone. On and on this struggle went, until I said, "you know if you are going to insist on using one grip for every shot, at least HIT THE DAMN BALL RIGHT!" She finally broke and guess what? She did pretty darn good from then on.

I hate losing to people in a battle of wits. Especially, stupid stubborn people.

So, the moral to the story? You aren't the only stupid person on the courts. :)

joe sch
05-19-2006, 06:51 AM
BB, Glad to see your coaching in Boise. I have a friend there who plays at the Boise RC and does some work with the University tennis team. I told him of your arrival awhile back and he sounded interested in taking some tennis lessons from you. I sent you a email awhile back regarding this opportunity. Email me back if your interested and I will give you this contact.

Best wishes, Joe

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 07:29 AM
BB, Glad to see your coaching in Boise. I have a friend there who plays at the Boise RC and does some work with the University tennis team. I told him of your arrival awhile back and he sounded interested in taking some tennis lessons from you. I sent you a email awhile back regarding this opportunity. Email me back if your interested and I will give you this contact.

Best wishes, Joe

Are you talking about the Boise Swim and Racquet Club? If so, I was playing there pretty much all of last week, me and my extra 40 pounds I picked up "somewhere" ;). It wasn't pretty, but it is still fun getting out there and hitting some balls.

Anyway, yes, I am trying to get in touch with Tommy Buford out here and others. John Y. gave me the phone number to Greg Patton (Boise St. Tennis Coach) and is a very nice guy. Tennis is bigger than I thought up here.

So, yes, please have him send me an email and we will make arrangements to hit or he can take some lessons.

There is a Jack Nicklaus golf/tennis resort looking to be built in Eagle some place, so it is hopping up here.

Let me know!

Freedom
05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Glad to hear Boise is treating you well Bill.

Fatmike
05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Are you talking about the Boise Swim and Racquet Club? If so, I was playing there pretty much all of last week, me and my extra 40 pounds I picked up "somwhere". It wasn't pretty, but it is still fun getting out there and hitting some balls.

Anyway, yes, I am trying to get in touch with Tommy Buford out here and others. John Y. gave me the phone number to Greg Patton (Boise St. Tennis Coach) and is a very nice guy. Tennis is bigger than I thought up here.

So, yes, please have him send me an email and we will make arrangements to hit or he can take some lessons.

There is a Jack Nicklaus golf/tennis resort looking to be built in Eagle some place, so it is hopping up here.

Let me know!

Funny, I'm an accountant for an electrical plant in Boise (Horseshoe). We own and manage the plant from our company in Montreal.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Funny, I'm an accountant for an electrical plant in Boise (Horseshoe). We own and manage the plant from our company in Montreal.

Email me!

Ripper
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Talk about hijacking a thread :D

Fatmike
05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Email me!

I'd love too but I don't have your email.

Mine is

mrivest@innergex.com

Rickson
05-19-2006, 11:09 AM

So yea, I may be a bit stupid, but at least I know it. ;)Take it from someone who's always in a sw fh grip, volleying wasn't easy at first for me either. I now switch to the continental when I go to net out of habit, but the transition felt awkward when I first started doing it. Keep it up and using the continental at net will become second nature.

Slazenger
05-19-2006, 11:35 AM

My default grip is my forehand grip as well. And my racquets also get grooved so there is one side that feels like a glove in my forehand and the other side that feels like I'm trying to put a triangle block into a square hole.

I've never had problems with it though.
If I'm going to hit a BH, afters split-stepping, I rotate my hand counter clockwise to the Eastern BH grip (with the help of the non-dominant hand on the throat of the racquet) and hit it. At the end of my follow through I flip the racquet back clockwise to my sw forehand grip (grooved side of handle).
I'm so used to doing this. Even in BH to BH rallies I always flip the racquet back to the SW forehand at the end of my followthrough. It takes like 1/4 a second. I don't need the non dom hand to turn it, I just flip it.

On my way to net I flip the raquet counterclockwise to continental. And I stay in continental unless I get an unreachable lob and I'm back to the forehand grip.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd love too but I don't have your email.

Mine is

mrivest@innergex.com

All you have to do is click on my name on any thread and two selections down it says EMAIL BB or something like that. A email thingy will come up. Just type and send.