PDA

View Full Version : F. Gonzalez, most overrated player in recent years?

unjugon
05-19-2006, 06:37 AM
I never saw anyting special in this guy. He makes a cracking shot, then misses a couple by 4 feet. Plays way behind the baseline ala Roddick, and his backhand is average.

Still, he was voted by many to win Hamburg. I mean...why? Why not Acasuso, Robredo, Stepanek, etc?

Anyone enlighten me?

Eviscerator
05-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I am not exactly sure, but it might have to do with his all or nothing style. When he is on and hits the ball as hard as he can on every shot, he is tough to beat. I saw him blow Moya off the court a few years ago because he was on, and Moya could not combat the constant power.
But as you have observed, he can be way off, and when he is, he has no plan B to fall back on.

Ripper
05-19-2006, 06:45 AM
I never saw anyting special in this guy. He makes a cracking shot, then misses a couple by 4 feet. Plays way behind the baseline ala Roddick, and his backhand is average.

Still, he was voted by many to win Hamburg. I mean...why? Why not Acasuso, Robredo, Stepanek, etc?

Anyone enlighten me?

Not over-rated, imo. He's so fun to watch and people appreciate that. Plus, when he's on fire, he can beat anyone. Maybe, it seemed to many like he was on fire there, for a moment.

!Tym
05-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Overall, it's just difficult for him to keep it up for an entire tournament. A good win or even several great wins, but to last the entire race, that's always been his problem. He seems like a cool guy though, likeable, has fun out there, goes for broke.

textbook strokes
05-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Many people think he is not very smart... , like smart enough to calculate winner&ue ratios, but I heard he alwas had coaches telling him to deaccelarate his strokes in his junior years, and not getting impressive results untill Horacio De La Peņa came and told him: Ok, do what you know best... put fire in every ball!!- and just then he maked his breakthrough.

Shabazza
05-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Overall, it's just difficult for him to keep it up for an entire tournament. A good win or even several great wins, but to last the entire race, that's always been his problem. He seems like a cool guy though, likeable, has fun out there, goes for broke.
Ditto!
This was his best chance to get a MS title and I thought he would put himself together after his good results the last few weeks, but he just doesn't seem to get it for 5+ consecutive matches...really sad

splink779
05-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I think he is underrated! He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for on clay. He is patient and he does not crack every single forehand. He has a good dropshot and was stopped by Federer in many tounaments. Last year MonteCarlo, WImbledon, this year Monte-Carlo, then lost to Nadal in Rome. Not bad I would say. Plays well on all surfaces too.

VGP
05-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Watch him play live when he's on.

I saw him on the grandstand court at Cincy a couple of years back against Arnaud Clement. At the time, I'd never seen anyone hit with such pace off both wings. It really was intimidating.

I agree with others saying that he can't keep it up for weeks at a time. He hits with too little margin for error. Perhaps he needs to find a coach that can temper all that firepower.

He's overrated by those who think his mental state and lack of consistency is lacking, underrated by those who are impressed by his power.

His results are a testament to his combined ability.

I suppose that goes for any player.

Mr.Groundstroke
05-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I think he is underrated! He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for on clay. He is patient and he does not crack every single forehand. He has a good dropshot and was stopped by Federer in many tounaments. Last year MonteCarlo, WImbledon, this year Monte-Carlo, then lost to Nadal in Rome. Not bad I would say. Plays well on all surfaces too.
Yep, you're right..he's underrated..

Ripper
05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
He's overrated by those who think his mental state and lack of consistency is lacking, underrated by those who are impressed by his power.

Is this right?

Freedom
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
The most overrated player in recent years is Donald Young, IMO.

splink779
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
The most overrated player in recent years is Donald Young, IMO.

Lol totally agreed.

J-man
05-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I never saw anyting special in this guy. He makes a ing shot, then misses a couple by 4 feet. Plays way behind the baseline ala Roddick, and his backhand is average.

Anyone enlighten me?I think a reason he plays behind the baseline is because he is a clay court player. But the differnce between Roddick and Gonzo is that Gonzo is better from behind the baseline

jackofromalsager
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
hes a good player with a good backhand i think u need to watch more of him mate !

LeftyServe
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
He's underrated. He was a good pick to go far in Hamburg. He just got beat by a player (Verdasco) who was playing in the zone. Seriously, a terrific performance by Verdasco.

Andy Hewitt
05-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Most overrated? I dunno. But very overrated indeed.

Max G.
05-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Eh, I wouldn't say he's overrated... he's rated about what his ranking would suggest - he's 8th, meaning that he's an outside contender for TMS titles when the top guns (Federer, Nadal) don't show. Nobody's predicting that he'll win Slams.

superman1
05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
There are 3 guys that this board totally overrates: Gasquet, Santoro, and Gonzalez or "Gonzo" as he's so affectionately called. None of these guys are consistently good. Gasquet is the only one with potential. Gonzalez just hits the ball as hard as he can. Most of the other players could hit it just as hard if they were willing to sacrifice the rest of their game.

bribeiro
05-19-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree, the only one with potential outta those 3 is Gasquet.

travlerajm
05-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Gonzo has one of the two biggest forehands in the world. Blake has the other. Blake is a better athlete and has a better serve, which is why he's ranked higher now.

lucky leprechaun
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Gonzalez just hits the ball as hard as he can. Most of the other players could hit it just as hard if they were willing to sacrifice the rest of their game.

Federer said as much about gonzo's game. Phillipoussis played the same sort of way early on in his career, obviously with a much huger serve. It's a one trick pony but an entertaining one.

travlerajm
05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
There are 3 guys that this board totally overrates: Gasquet, Santoro, and Gonzalez or "Gonzo" as he's so affectionately called. None of these guys are consistently good. Gasquet is the only one with potential. Gonzalez just hits the ball as hard as he can. Most of the other players could hit it just as hard if they were willing to sacrifice the rest of their game.

There are a lot of players in the top 100 who would love to reach the top 10, but I don't think you'll find any outside the top 10 that can hit a forehand like Gonzo. If you go look at slow-motion clips of his forehand, it's unbelievable how far his racquet moves in a straight line through the hitting zone. With a hitting zone so long, it makes it easy to understand why he has enough control to go for such big shots.

superman1
05-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Most of the pros can hit a forehand as hard as Gonzo. I've even hit a few in my day. Not many of them can do it as consistently, maybe, but they can still do it.