PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to grip the handle

bluecephas
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I have a question on the proper way one should grip the racquet handle. I知 not referring to Continental, Eastern, Western grips, etc. I知 referring on the angle of the hand in relation to the axis of the handle. I sometimes grip the handle with a somewhat diagonal grip, with my palm and fingers curling around the grip in a diagonal (~45 degrees). Recently I致e been trying to use a perpendicular grip, where my palm and fingers are wrap ~ 90 degrees to the handle. I find that this allows me to generate more power, since I知 relying less on my small hand muscles and more on my large torso muscles when making a swing. So what is the proper way to grip the handle? How do pros do it? My previous coaches never even touched on this topic.

Ripper
05-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a question on the proper way one should grip the racquet handle. I知 not referring to Continental, Eastern, Western grips, etc. I知 referring on the angle of the hand in relation to the axis of the handle. I sometimes grip the handle with a somewhat diagonal grip, with my palm and fingers curling around the grip in a diagonal (~45 degrees). Recently I致e been trying to use a perpendicular grip, where my palm and fingers are wrap ~ 90 degrees to the handle. I find that this allows me to generate more power, since I知 relying less on my small hand muscles and more on my large torso muscles when making a swing. So what is the proper way to grip the handle? How do pros do it? My previous coaches never even touched on this topic.

Oh the hammer grip vs pistol grip debate. Well, I used to do the former and changed to the later. I think it provides more control and power. Check out pics of pros playing; I think most of them use the pistol grip.

jb193
05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I agree with Ripper. It seems to me, that holding the racquet at a 90 degree angle (Hammer grip) closes the racquet face more as opposed to holding it as a pistol and this closing of the racquet face was detrimental to my semi-western forehand stroke because I couldn't hit flat when I wanted to which destroyed my accuracy on approach shots..........

bluecephas
05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the terminology. I used it to do a search and found the link to the previous debate:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74855&highlight=hammer+pistol+grip