PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Control: Better for tennis elbow than PD?

Stormwolf
07-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Greetings,

I'm new here, but I need some suggestions (I play at 4.0).

This is the order of the racquets that i've used:

Head Ti.s5
Head i.s12
Heas i.x11
Head Ti.5003
Head i.Radical MP
Head LM Radical MP
Babolat PD+

The pure drive is a really nice racquet with a good balance of control and power. The only problem is the stiffness (70).
I tried stringing it with Lux. Timo 18 @ 52lbs but the problem is still there. I bought a pack of VS 17 natural gut and I'll see if it helps.
Basically i'm only playing every second day due to elbow pain.

My idea was to get a pair of Pure Control plus MP racquts.
They are basically the same as the pure drives but are less stiff (64). This will translate into less power of course. I would string my natural gut very low (perhaps 50) since less tension = more power and less arm pain; less racquet stiffness = less power and less pain. I would keep using string savers (increase tension slightly, increase spin).

The bottom line is I want to retain the power-control balance of the Pure Drive but reduce the strain on my elbow. Does this seem like a good way to go? Also if you have any more suggestions please share them.

Regards

- Stormwolf

GerberBaby
07-02-2004, 08:58 AM
I recently switched from the PD to the Pure Control Std (not MP). If you are going to switch, go with the PC. I believe it is the best racquet has to offer. What a wonderful switch!! The PD just didn't have the control I was looking for plus the power was too high. It was fun to serve with, but that was it. The PC has a much better feel and weighs a bit more too. Although, I wouldn't classify it as a 'players' racquet, it the next best thing. You can really swing all out with it. I have three of them strung at 62lbs with Bab Hurricane 17.

Elbow problems - I haven't had any with this racquet. If you play a lot and are not use to a heavier racquet, it might give you some shoulder pain at first. Give it time and you'll build up the muscle to serve all day long.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your quest.

Coda
07-02-2004, 10:02 AM
how about a surge+ or the pro kennex laver sx? Both are nearly identical to the PD+ with a lower stiffness rating.

Stormwolf
07-02-2004, 10:34 AM
I looked at the PC standard but it's stiffness is still 70.
I really like the extended length of the PD+.
The surge has a rating of 68, it's might be something to check out.
Anyone else have suggestions?

LX HONDA CIVIC
07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
yes a surge or surge x are almost the same racquet as the PD but the babolat has the woofer tecnologie and the surge has the pws kind of cosmetics. I am thinking to switching to either the surge X or the PD+ hopefully ill be able to demo these racquets tomarrow.

David Pavlich
07-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Both of the Babolat racquets are stiff. However, the fact that the PC is 7/10 of and ounce heavier makes it more arm friendly (more weight=less shock transfer) and is more stable.

However, with increased weight comes more racquet to swing. Will the additional weight be too much for you? Will it cause you to be late on your swings? How does it feel after 2 hours, not 15 minutes? Best to demo before you buy.

David

Stormwolf
07-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Some extra weight would be welcome. I was looking into adding some lead tape at 3 and 9 on my 2 PD+. The PC+ MP is a bit lighter than the PC standard, it's also less stiff. I live in Vancouver so it might be hard to demo the PC+ since there are few specialty stores around, but i'll check it out. Yes the woofer on the PD+ is pretty good, it might seem like a gimmick (the fact that it serves well might also be because the frame is thicker as it approaches the sweatspot), but my serves have never had more pace on them.

WimblGooner
07-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Been having the same prob with pd+ and have just ordered cat 10 as I did want to scale down on length as this puts more pressure on the arm. But if you really want to keep the length have a look at the ProKennex 7g as this is a renowned arm friendly racket and I did also seriously consider switching to it. 8)