PDA

View Full Version : Ways to extend time between points

Othello
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok so I played a match today and I was unbelievably fatigued. I played Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning and evening, Thursday morning and evening and This morning.

Thursday evening I could feel the fatigue coming on so I planned to get a lot of rest in the evening. Unfortunately I had some family issues come up in the evening and had to stay up too late and didn't get enough rest.

So not only am I playing a match with not enough gas in the tank but I've got a weight on my shoulders about my family problem. I tried to shake it but wasn't happening.

I started out strong early in the first set hitting a number of aces and winning a lot of points on my first and second serve.
Towards the end of the first set however, the fatigue kicks in BIG time. It's so bad I can't even hide it.
I started walking slower in between points and bouncing the ball longer before I serve. My opponent of course was moving at lightning pace during his service games so no breather there. I lost the first set by a break.

2nd set was even worse. I was nauseous and got broken early and broken again. I've never been so happy to get off the court.

So do any of you guys have any tricks that you use to give you more time to get a breather in between points? I say tricks because obviously taking your time can irritate your opponent.

Honestlybad
05-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Just watch Nadal. :)

Nuke
05-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I have one guy I come up against fairly often in my league who uses lots of stalling tricks. He's even more ancient than I am, so I don't make an issue of it, and it would just screw with my head to get mad over it. I just resign myself to playing a leisurely pace against the guy. Here's what he does:

He always tries to engage me in conversation on the changeovers. He's a friendly type, so it's hard to be mad at him, even though I know it's a tactic. He'll ask about my equipment, other players in the league, how I hit a particular shot, etc.

Between points, he slows things down by chasing balls that are off the court, even when not needed. That's a bit annoying when I've got two balls in hand and am ready to seve, and he's walking around to retrieve the third.

When I'm serving and call for a ball, he hits it away from me, so I have to retrieve it before I can serve. When he's servng and I hit an extra ball to him, he lets it go by him, so he can stop and walk back to the fence to retrieve it.

General lack of hustle between points. I don't expect him to sprint between points, but it's obvious he's resting.

I've played this guy a half dozen times and he has not taken a set off me. The thing is, I'll beat him easily at 6-2 6-2, but when it's over, I'll look at my watch and see we've been on the court more than two hours, every time.

sureshs
05-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Between points, he slows things down by chasing balls that are off the court, even when not needed.

A retired man I sometimes play with does the same, but that is because he has a genuine fear that any unpicked ball could roll back and he would trip on it.

papa
05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Well, there is a specified time period between points but "anyone" has the right not to play with balls on the court surface if they so desire. Again, there are time restraints and an opponent has the right to certain things. Some, if not most of the ones mentioned, like not hitting the ball back and making you run aren't right. However, its not right to speed up the whole process just for the sake of playing tennis. On changeovers, just go to a different side of the net or refuse to get involved in idle conversation - they will get the hint.

sotua
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
A retired man I sometimes play with does the same, but that is because he has a genuine fear that any unpicked ball could roll back and he would trip on it.

Just ask Tommy Haas. Out of play for months with a twisted ankle because a ball rolled under his foot when doing warmup serves at W.

Kaptain Karl
05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Re-tie your shoe ... then the other one.
"Remember" you need to switch rackets.
Ow!!! I have something in my eye.
Walk to the Serve Receive position ... and THEN realize you left your racket at the net.
Realign your strings.
Blow your nose.
Towel off.
Become obsessed with finding the third ball.
Bathroom break!
Injury time out.

Nuke's guy ^^ hitting balls back to you so you have to chase them. That's pretty good. I hadn't thought of that one.

- KK

Kabob190
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
start stretching between points, i cramped up once and i had to. I wasnt stalling or anything but i just felt a pain in the leg and asked him if i could stretch a little. He let me.
start coughing or sneezing a lot between points.

sureshs
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Just ask Tommy Haas. Out of play for months with a twisted ankle because a ball rolled under his foot when doing warmup serves at W.

And the guy I was talking about is 65!

DRtenniS1112
05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Since when is irritating your opponent a bad thing ;)
Drop the ball on your foot when bouncing it, then you have to pick it up, don't hit your toss, simply take more time, i wouldnt recommend repeating the first two but after a big point they are effective.

Kabob190
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Drop the ball on your foot when bouncing it, then you have to pick it up

I seem to do this multiple times during a match, accidently. lol i have no hand eye coordination

Freedom
05-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Sit down (on the court, not your bench). You have 20 seconds between points. ;)

Barricade_steve
05-22-2006, 06:45 PM
you can also get down on 1 knee and tie your shoe.

vinouspleasure
05-22-2006, 09:02 PM
- look to shorten points...I serve and volley, chip and charge on return of serve.
- When serving, always have three balls in your pocket. Walk slowly to collect each ball. Walk slowly back to the base line.
- When your opponent is serving, walk to retrive the balls for him. Walk back to serve return position.
- Make some decisions around balls to chase. If I have to run back for a lob that will probably result in a weak shot, I don`t chase it.
- Make sure you spend time on the bench on service changes. Do not be rushed.
- Eat a chocolate bar. eat another (I think this is from brad gilbert)

chex
05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
if your opponent is serving.. hit the ball into the net when you pass him/her the ball. And then go walk up to get it.. and back to the baseline..