PDA

View Full Version : Serves out wide on duece court

Othello
05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Okay I can place my flat serve very well up the T on the duece court and out wide on the ad court.
I am reasonably consistent up the T on the Ad court (like 6 out of 10 tries) but the point is I can actually aim for the location.

I have a hard time aiming out wide on the duece court. To serve out wide I have to not think of where I'm serving. The motion naturally goes there. But if I try to aim outwide it feels like I'm overrotating and my motion goes out of sync. The ball also ends up with a bit of sidespin on it, ending up like a hard slice serve.

Any tips to help?

I will try to get a video of my serve up on Saturday.

ralphtifftennis
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Okay I can place my flat serve very well up the T on the duece court and out wide on the ad court.
I am reasonably consistent up the T on the Ad court (like 6 out of 10 tries) but the point is I can actually aim for the location.

I have a hard time aiming out wide on the duece court. To serve out wide I have to not think of where I'm serving. The motion naturally goes there. But if I try to aim outwide it feels like I'm overrotating and my motion goes out of sync. The ball also ends up with a bit of side spin on it, ending up like a hard slice serve.

Any tips to help?

I will try to get a video of my serve up on Saturday.

If you are right handed a wide serve on the deuce side should come little more naturally. Than a wide serve on the add side or even one up the "t" on add side, depending on where you stand.

There is nothing wrong if you impart some side spin to the ball. Often that will help the ball over the net as higher out wide.

You should set up some cans or cones out wide and practice trying to hit them. Usually you can slightly adjust your feet or ball toss. Most often you can figure it out with this exercise though.

Also you should not be "aiming". As you could then be trying to force things. It is just better to "think" where you want to go and then let it happen. Practice makes perfect.

Anyhow hope this helps.:)

lucky leprechaun
05-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Do you have a closed stance, or do you bring your back foot up to the right of your other foot during your service motion?