PDA

View Full Version : If you were in my position...

adamvann
05-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm in need of some work on my serve and I have a choice between 2 teaching pros that are similarly priced. My delima is whom to go with. So given the options I'll list below who would you choose?

Pro A: USPTA pro and has been teaching for 20+ years and playing for 30+ and his favorite thing to teach is the serve, which he says is also the best aspect of his game. He told me this about his serve before I mentioned what I really wanted to work on was the serve.

Pro B: Also a USPTA pro, has no particular strengths BUT he played on the ATP Tour for 10 years and still plays money tournaments during the summer when the club where he is the head pro is closed for the season. I will basically have two maybe three opportunities to work with him before he leaves in late June and he won't be back until late September.

Andres
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll go with the one who's been TEACHING the last 20 years and not the one who's been PLAYING the last 10.

The first one would know HOW to teach you better, IMO ;)

wyutani
05-19-2006, 11:35 PM
experience is important mate'. Pro A...

Kabob190
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
i would choose pro A. Seems like pro A is more of a teacher and pro B is more of a player. Also like you said your only gonna get two or three lessons outa pro B, what if you need lessons after that

Rickson
05-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I'll go with the one who's been TEACHING the last 20 years and not the one who's been PLAYING the last 10.

The first one would know HOW to teach you better, IMO ;)
Good choice because when I was a personal trainer, I was amazed at how many hardcore workout enthusiasts wanted to be trainers and just because they could train themselves very well, that didn't mean they made good trainers. I'd see new trainers push forced reps on their beginner clients and spot them with the same technique they'd use with their hardcore workout partners which are both no nos. I admit that I thought about training people in a similar fashion, but thank goodness I went through seminars and exams that made me better qualified to teach clients and I threw the hardcore workout away when it came to training clients. In a very similar sense, teaching tennis to beginners and even intermediates is not the same as playing against high level competition so just because the guy was in the ATP doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good coach. The best coaches know how to "teach", not just how to wack a ball with brute force. We don't know if either person would be a good coach so look for feedback from clients and former clients. I think experience might take this one, but you never know. Both might be good coaches, one might be good and one bad, or both might be bad coaches. Do some research or try them both for just 1 session and see who did the better job.

snoflewis
05-19-2006, 11:59 PM
if you're a beginner or a developing player, as long as the coach is better and has a finer technique, the one that has been teaching longer will be your better bet. reason being, it doesnt matter (once again as long as they are better htan the student) how good the coach is at playing...it depends on how good the coach is at teaching

adamvann
05-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I'll try Pro A and see how that goes. I should be able to work with him in the next couple of days.

donnyz89
05-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I say A... however, i voted for B. I want to point out a few things... personally, I learn from visualization... I can be told certain things but I have to see it myself. I believe a player can teach you things that they use to visualize. Kick serve has always been something I wanted to work on but the whole knee bend, snap wrist, low to high, weight shift, just didnt make sense to me whether its froma book or video or a pro teaching me. I learned when a pro didnt just tell me what to do but also showed me by helping me visualize the serve. Like he told me to try to hit the ball with the side of the racquet, and brush over the back of my head, things that I never heard before... and I quickly got it down. so both would work, just depend on their teaching style. good player does not equal a not so good teacher.

siber222000
05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
i would say pro A, just becuz he have more experiences and i also have to agree serving is pretty important to ur game =)