PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tennis Practice

Duzza
05-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I was just wondering since a lot of my tennis peeps don't play as much these days, whether wall hitting is helpful for your game. I believe practice is practice, but you kind of know where the ball will rebound the whole time and i find that the ball will bounce too low after it hits the wall

wyutani
05-20-2006, 05:58 AM
I was just wondering since a lot of my tennis peeps don't play as much these days, whether wall hitting is helpful for your game. I believe practice is practice, but you kind of know where the ball will rebound the whole time and i find that the ball will bounce too low after it hits the wall

playing against the wall for 30 mins is equivalent to playing tennis in a set...a wall will improve ur game, especially volleys. if i have no opponents, i'll play wif the wall...

PS: im really drunk now, "pilot" party, forgive my short advise...:D

Bungalo Bill
05-20-2006, 08:02 AM
playing against the wall for 30 mins is equivalent to playing tennis in a set...a wall will improve ur game, especially volleys. if i have no opponents, i'll play wif the wall...

PS: im really drunk now, "pilot" party, forgive my short advise...:D

Playing 30 minutes on the wall is equivalent to playing a set? lol, where in the world did you get that stuff? lol

Wyut, you one funny guy.

35ft6
05-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Hitting against the wall is great. Like above poster said, you will hit a lot more balls in 30 minutes of wall hitting than 30 minutes with a person.

But the danger is if you're hitting against the wall with lousy technique, you're imprinting bad mechanics into your brain that much quicker.

Do NOT practice hitting power shots against the wall. You should be practicing consistency. Not just consistency as in "I think that shot would have gone in" but consistency in terms of "grooving" your strokes. Hitting every shot the same way (and hope to Grock that you're not using bad technique).

The way the wall works, the time between each of your swings is even less than if Federer and Safin were having a power baseline rally, it's about the distance, so just work on preparing early, making solid contact, and getting into a groove.

I laugh at people who go nuts against a wall, jumping off the ground trying to hit hard.

Bungalo Bill
05-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Hitting against the wall is great. Like above poster said, you will hit a lot more balls in 30 minutes of wall hitting than 30 minutes with a person. You can hit more balls against the wall. But show me the place where it is equivalent to playing a set of tennis? Also, how would you make things equal?

There is also more distance to cover on a court. Plus, you are comparing apples to oranges. So this is a terrible comparison.

The wall ALWAYS feeds the ball back! So you can't realistically compare playing tennis against someone that DOESN'T get the ball back to something that does!

If all things are equal you should be comparing the wall to someone feeding you a ball or to a ball machine. I can bet that the ball machine and someone feeding you balls could blow away a wall in workout and improving your game.

35ft6
05-20-2006, 08:42 AM
You can hit more balls against the wall. But show me the place where it is equivalent to playing a set of tennis. You're right about that. That's why I didn't put it in those terms. Playing tennis is very different from simply hitting a ball.

edit: just reread is post... I can see why you would reply the way you did, bb

Duzza
05-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Hitting against the wall is great. Like above poster said, you will hit a lot more balls in 30 minutes of wall hitting than 30 minutes with a person.

But the danger is if you're hitting against the wall with lousy technique, you're imprinting bad mechanics into your brain that much quicker.

Do NOT practice hitting power shots against the wall. You should be practicing consistency. Not just consistency as in "I think that shot would have gone in" but consistency in terms of "grooving" your strokes. Hitting every shot the same way (and hope to Grock that you're not using bad technique).

The way the wall works, the time between each of your swings is even less than if Federer and Safin were having a power baseline rally, it's about the distance, so just work on preparing early, making solid contact, and getting into a groove.

I laugh at people who go nuts against a wall, jumping off the ground trying to hit hard.

Perfect answer! When i read this i just agreed all the way, you see those people who just whack shots that would go out and do this for about 5 times till they pick up the ball.

x Southpaw x
05-20-2006, 04:27 PM
use topspin... I do when I play with it against the wall and the ball bounces back annoyingly high and slow... unlike fast paced accelerating returns from hitting partners

05-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Mark a spot 8 feet above the ground on the wall.

Gentlely try to strike that spot.

Work on consistency, marksmanship.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Playing 30 minutes on the wall is equivalent to playing a set? lol, where in the world did you get that stuff? lol

Wyut, you one funny guy.Calm down. . . he did say that he was drunk afterall.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Do NOT practice hitting power shots against the wall.

I laugh at people who go nuts against a wall, jumping off the ground trying to hit hard.Yeah, but what if you practice your POWER shots, but stand VERY FAR away, so that you have MORE time to reposition yourself and your takeback? . . . would it then be alright to go all out?

Sometimes you need to practice POWER and POWER with PROPER form etc., so that you develop confidence in going all out. You need to be able to CONTROL your power shots! How more convenient is that? . . . hitting aggressively at the wall from a distance.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Perfect answer! When i read this i just agreed all the way, you see those people who just whack shots that would go out and do this for about 5 times till they pick up the ball.Not me. I'm that good. ;)

BeachTennis
05-21-2006, 07:52 AM
I can bet that the ball machine and someone feeding you balls could blow away a wall in workout and improving your game.[/QUOTE]

Wow i am not that sure about that !!

Study:

Take

A.Ball machine work out for 15 minutes
B.Balls being feed work out for 15 minutes
C.Balls hit with wall for 15 minutes!

Take 10 people off the street that have never played tennis or sports in genral.

So we have 30 people total in the study

Have them spend 3 month hittting 15min each day.

Groupe A. Ball Machine
Groupe B. Feed Ball
Groupe C. The Wall

5 day week

I bet on the wall player

Bungalo Bill
05-21-2006, 08:11 AM
QUOTE]

Wow i am not that sure about that !!

Wow, you're not sure about a lot of things. lol You missed a lot of things with you students so I wouldnt be surprised you would miss this.

However, please dont misunderstand me. I am not saying that a person can not get a good workout with a wall. Everyone knows that.

However, I can guarentee a player that is fed rapid succession balls will deplete their oxygen stores extremely fast. Not only will this rapidly raise their heart rate, deplete oxygen stores, but the player will get much better feedback as to where they are actually hitting the ball on the court. There is simply NO BETTER WAY TO TRAIN A TENNIS PLAYER.

If a player does the Micheal Chang drill, the Sampras, drill, the overhead drill, the lateral court drill, there is no way a wall can compete in depleting oxygen, increasing lactic acid build up, and providing shot feedback - no way.

You simply once again have demonstrated you have no clue what you are talking about! lol

Even in Cardio Tennis where it is non-stop movement the heart rate can soar and must be carefully monitored. The same is with an intense practice with a coach.

Keep learning.

A.Ball machine work out for 15 minutes

Further clarification: The ball machine needs to be set to wide oscillating mode. The spee dof the feed need to be as such that you barely get to each ball. Place enough balls in the machine so that you can not stop for 15 minnutes.

B.Balls being feed work out for 15 minutes

Further clarification: You need to have balls fed to you in a non-stop fashion. You will be fed balls while you are constantly applying your footwork patterns and hitting targets. This is non-rest, rapid succession drill. You will dig, you will push, and you will move your feet the best way you can to keep up for 15 minutes.

Sorry man, but you really need to just learn. It is painfully obvious that a serious training session with a coach can well outperform the wall. I am not saying you can't get a workout with a wall, but rapid succession drills, oscillating drill with the ball machine will increase the heart rate and tire a person extremely fast.

BeachTennis
05-21-2006, 08:29 AM
The story I got goes something like this

she relates how each night, when the dusk has finally clouded the night and the dying light forced her to stop, she wrote in the dirt how many times she hit the ball against the wall without missing
Next day she'll try and beat that number
Every time I hit the ball against the wall I dreamed I was playing at Wimbledon. Dreams do come true.

Not all have means to have coach or ball machine !

Thats the problem with tennis

Bungalo Bill
05-21-2006, 08:39 AM
The story I got goes something like this

she relates how each night, when the dusk has finally clouded the night and the dying light forced her to stop, she wrote in the dirt how many times she hit the ball against the wall without missing
Next day she'll try and beat that number
Every time I hit the ball against the wall I dreamed I was playing at Wimbledon. Dreams do come true.

Not all have means to have coach or ball machine !

Thats the problem with tennis

Ahhh, the old misdirection post. We are not debating whether someone does or does not have a ball machine. We are not debating whether someone does or does not have a coach. We are debating whether a WALL workout is MORE INTENSE than a workout with a ball machine or a coahc. You simply gave me an avenue (15 minutes segments) to bring reality to your nonsense.

LOL, Keep learning. :cool:

shindemac
05-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't see what the problem is. You can use all three, and make sure to hit with a person too. And don't forget to practice your serve.

I use the wall to work on all aspects of my game. The obvious thing to work on are your groundstrokes. I'm working more on my backhand, and using proper form and footwork. It's not about knowing where the ball is heading, but about practicing and working on those 2 things. I use the wall to improve my volleys. It should improve your touch and reaction time besides other things. It's also one of the best ways to improve your volleying. And face it, who wants to rally with a guy who stays at the net.

I haven't done too much of this, but I find the wall to be advantageous when it comes to approach shots/half-volleys. Stand at the short service line, and hit it hard. Come in and hit a slice approach shot. If you're fast enough to reach the baseline, then you'll have to hit a half-volley. Then you can continue coming in, and start doing volleys. I don't usually use the wall for serving, but I find it useful when doing topspin serves. I use it to check how high my balls are crossing the net.

Bungalo Bill
05-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is you are butting in. Stay out of it. We are not talking about technique development, we are talkiing about whether the wall is a BETTER workout than drills on-court.

We also are not talking about whether the wall is useful, or beneficial, or a good thing to do, or something that a player should mix in. We already know it is.

BeachTennis
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
The use of all is very important ! The key is the more time you spend playing and learning about yourself and your game will improve your tennis future.

The wall is a self practice tip!

To be done when there is not a coach or parent of practice partner to be found.

I have hit the wall all over the world.

started when i was in grade 3. had my racket at school. hit on walls outside and in the gym thur high school!

then it was on any wall i could find.

when living in Berlin i would hit on the wall all over the city.

was my protest.

The gaurds would yell stop that and then I would crack a ball to the gaurd tower!

The when at the laundry mat I would hit on the wall > Always bring your racket to the mat !!

BB------ i still be live a player that can get into a rythem with the wall will become the better player then doing side to side cardio stuff or ball machine work !!

Then again the boomer play a match mode is the best!

Have you seen this machine where you play it a match !!!

Very cool robot!

Long Live the Wall

Post a link of your wall work out!!!

Not you BB , But any other players that want to show what they do on the wall!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLQveR8zuvY

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't see what the problem is. You can use all three, and make sure to hit with a person too. And don't forget to practice your serve.

I use the wall to work on all aspects of my game. The obvious thing to work on are your groundstrokes. I'm working more on my backhand, and using proper form and footwork. It's not about knowing where the ball is heading, but about practicing and working on those 2 things. I use the wall to improve my volleys. It should improve your touch and reaction time besides other things. It's also one of the best ways to improve your volleying. And face it, who wants to rally with a guy who stays at the net.

I haven't done too much of this, but I find the wall to be advantageous when it comes to approach shots/half-volleys. Stand at the short service line, and hit it hard. Come in and hit a slice approach shot. If you're fast enough to reach the baseline, then you'll have to hit a half-volley. Then you can continue coming in, and start doing volleys. I don't usually use the wall for serving, but I find it useful when doing topspin serves. I use it to check how high my balls are crossing the net.
The problem is you are butting in. Stay out of it. We are not talking about technique development, we are talkiing about whether the wall is a BETTER workout than drills on-court.

We also are not talking about whether the wall is useful, or beneficial, or a good thing to do, or something that a player should mix in. We already know it is.Yes, he is a problem! Haha. Bill, don't mind that terd! He thinks he's so freakin smart when in fact he IS NOT!!! I even proved him wrong (with the use of information that Goober provided) and made him look like the fool that he is in this thread right here (this was very recent too!): http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=100671&page=2

Woodstock_Tennis
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
The wall is a very good workout, but there's no substitute from training on a court. If you have a decent partner/coach a wall doesn't have the capability of giving you as decent of a work out. You also get a far better read on your game training on a court then a wall. If you're getting worked side to side on court you got to set up before your shot if you intend to hit it both over and in the court. I notice when a lot of people hit off the wall they tend to not hustle as fast to give themselves the appropriate prep. time because they know there's a lot more room for error with a wall.

Bungalo Bill
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
The wall is a very good workout, but there's no substitute from training on a court. If you have a decent partner/coach a wall doesn't have the capability of giving you as decent of a work out. You also get a far better read on your game training on a court then a wall. If you're getting worked side to side on court you got to set up before your shot if you intend to hit it both over and in the court. I notice when a lot of people hit off the wall they tend to not hustle as fast to give themselves the appropriate prep. time because they know there's a lot more room for error with a wall.

Couldn't have been said any better. :)

shindemac
05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
"Yes, he is a problem! Haha. Bill, don't mind that terd! He thinks he's so freakin smart when in fact he IS NOT!!! I even proved him wrong (with the use of information that Goober provided) and made him look like the fool that he is in this thread right here (this was very recent too!): http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=100671&page=2"

Ughh, I didn't even post in that thread... Now who's the fool RoddickTheBeast.

My last 2 paragraphs were for the OP. He did ask a question about the usefulness of the wall, so I was relating my experiences. This wasn't a thread started by you BB. Take it to email if you want a private conversation.

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Ughh, I didn't even post in that thread... Now who's the fool RoddickTheBeast.
Hahah that was so funny! :mrgreen: Disreguard my other insults! I think I may have insulted you (by accidental mistaken identity) in other threads as well! :mrgreen: Sorry! ^_^

GuyClinch
05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Not a big fan of wall ball.

1) it bounces really low compared to your averaged topspin ground stroke hit at you by someone else.

2) You have no depth feedback on serves or groundstrokes so you can reinforce bad habits with regard to those strokes.

I think the best use of walls is to work on your volleys - beyond that I would absolutely take a ball machine. It's no contest, IMHO.

Pete

baros
05-25-2006, 07:57 AM
it gets you to hit your shots at the wrong time in a match.
________
Ford Durango history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Durango)

Ripper
05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
it gets you to hit your shots at the wrong time in a match.

If you hit more against a wall than with another person, yes, it could be bad. I know this from experience. I used to practice against the wall like crazy. To someone with an untrained eye who saw me and anyone else practicing against the wall, it would seem like I was the best player at my club. NOBODY there could (or can) hit the wall like me. HOWEVER, did it translate to my game? Nope. The way the ball comes back at you is different AND the perspective is different. I was lost as to timing. The good thing is I realized this and, now, practice much more by hitting with other people. I still practice a lot against the wall, though. You can use the wall to fine tune your strokes, but never limit yourself to practicing that way. Listen to me.