PDA

View Full Version : Loose strings for flexible racquet?

Stormwolf
07-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi, I'm using a PureDrive+ right now but i'm getting some serious elbow problems with it.

I was thinking of switching to the PureControl+ MP.
It's less stiff than the PD but I want to retain the power I get on serve.

My idea was to use the flexible racquet (low power) + loose strings (high power). All of this should translate into little or no elbow problems.

I was thinking of using VS Team 17 Natural gut.
Does this seem like a good idea?

Right now i'm using Timo 18 @52lbs with string savers.

Should I string the Natuarl gut at maybe 50? (I konw Lux. says to string 10% lower than usual but I think such a low tension should be okay with a less powerful racquet.

I know Gonzalez uses Alu. at something like 45lbs.

What are your thoughts of compensating for low flexibility with loose strings?

Please share your thoughts.

- Stormwolf

NoBadMojo
07-02-2004, 10:48 AM
i think that is an excellent idea. if you are used to polys you are gonna be very surprised at how powerful gut is so i wouldnt go too low w. the gut tensionwise.. you may still not serve as well since the pd is an excellent serving frame. best to demo..i wouldnt just limit your choices to the bab line. if your technique need work, you will prob still get some relief, but the change doesnt promise your physical probs will go away. ed

Stormwolf
07-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I recently switched to an Eastern forehand grip --> that might be part of the problem; but I can't switch grips now that's I've seen the light so to speak. I will try the new string (and possibly changing my impact point to further away from my body).