PDA

View Full Version : Will tennis be eliminated from the Olympics by 2014?

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 09:12 AM
It seems clear tennis will be in the 2010 Olympics as it is too late to cancel it of now probably. However after another embarassment(probably)for the sport and the Olympics from tennis in 2010 will they finally come to their senses and remove tennis from the Olympics? Olympics demeans tennis, it is relegated to one of the most minor obscure sports when among the sport involved at the Olympics it is in reality one of the most powerful and prestigious, apart from the Olympics themselves.
Players dont feel passionate and enthused enough about it either, as half of the medalists, especialy in mens, coming from the "no name" brigade clearly demonstrates. Nicholas Massu winning two golds at the last Olympics, ROTFL!

127mph
05-20-2006, 09:46 AM
i hope it is removed

leftys_rock
05-20-2006, 09:50 AM
umm, the 2010 olympics are winter olympics.........i dont believe tennis is a winter sport.....so you were probably talking about either the 2008 olympics or the 2012 olympics....

brucie
05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Why will it stay "unfortunately"

Warriorroger
05-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I hope not, it is time someone follows in Graf's footsteps and wins the Golden Slam.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 10:20 AM
umm, the 2010 olympics are winter olympics.........i dont believe tennis is a winter sport.....so you were probably talking about either the 2008 olympics or the 2012 olympics....

Sorry I meant 2008 and 2012, you are right. Stupid me. :rolleyes:

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
I hope not, it is time someone follows in Graf's footsteps and wins the Golden Slam.

Hopefully if that happens it is Roger.

Galactus
05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Tennis doesn't belong in the Olympics - it's a PROFESSIONAL sport.
Olympics have always been pretty much athletics-based and therefore are AMATEUR.

Get rid if it.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Tennis doesn't belong in the Olympics - it's a PROFESSIONAL sport.
Olympics have always been pretty much athletics-based and therefore are AMATEUR.

Get rid if it.

Yeah I so agree. It just does not fit. For amateur sports the Olympics are the biggest event in their careers, atleast twice as big as the second biggest, whatever that is.

For tennis, a professional sport, it is far far behind atleast 16 events, called grand slam, held 4 times annualy.

Grimjack
05-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't believe I've ever seen an Olympic tennis match, and can't imagine I'd want to see one in the future.

The good players obviously feel no passion for the event, so why should we? It's either good players playing half-assed, or half-assed players giving it their all. Either way, it's substandard fare, and no more interesting than an exhibition or a South American clay circuit event.

If I were asked to vote, I'd vote to cancel it, but I'm not sure I'd notice if the vote went through. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it...

The most hilarious thing the media ever came up with was the "Golden Slam," as if the Olympic Gold were held in higher esteem by the players than a third round loser's check at the RCA. :roll:

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't believe I've ever seen an Olympic tennis match, and can't imagine I'd want to see one in the future.

The good players obviously feel no passion for the event, so why should we? It's either good players playing half-assed, or half-assed players giving it their all. Either way, it's substandard fare, and no more interesting than an exhibition or a South American clay circuit event.

If I were asked to vote, I'd vote to cancel it, but I'm not sure I'd notice if the vote went through. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it...

The most hilarious thing the media ever came up with was the "Golden Slam," as if the Olympic Gold were held in higher esteem by the players than a third round loser's check at the RCA. :roll:

Excellent post. I 110% agree with everything you said, especialy the last sentence.

Max G.
05-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I would guess that it is worth about as much to most players as the ranking points indicate - i.e. more than a regular tour event, but less than a Masters Series event and significantly less than a Grand Slam win.

It IS, however, worth significantly more than that to some other, more nationalistic players.

It's certainly worth more than a third-round appearance in a regular tour event, not sure why you would think otherwise - I'd certainly like to see your evidence :roll:

The kind of effort put forth by Massu in this past olympics - I haven't seen anything like it since, and I certainly don't think I ever will see it in a regular tour event...

arosen
05-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Fed was pretty ****ed that he lost it to Berdych in Athens, he really wanted the medal. Depends on the player and his 'tude.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Federer should have been p#ssed about losing to Berdych, since Berdych was not even as good or as dangerous a player in 2004 as he was in 2005, there is no way Roger should have lost to him at the Olympics, especialy if he really was serious about the Olympics.

Eviscerator
05-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I do not participate in polls that are clearly biased in the way the choices are framed as you have done.:rolleyes:

easternforehand
05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Just depends on the player. Agassi looked as proud of his Olympic gold as he did winning any Slam, whereas someone like Sampras didn't really care for it (but he never really cared for Davis Cup either).

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Just depends on the player. Agassi looked as proud of his Olympic gold as he did winning any Slam, whereas someone like Sampras didn't really care for it (but he never really cared for Davis Cup either).

That may be what he said but I have my doubts. He willingly skipped the Olympics in both 92 and 2004 with no physical ailments or of-course circumstances of any kind. I can understand 2000 since his mother was ailing at the time(although even then he played the U.S Open all the same inspite of that).

jhhachamp
05-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I do not participate in polls that are clearly biased in the way the choices are framed as you have done.:rolleyes:

I must agree, I didn't participate either.

Warriorroger
05-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Hopefully if that happens it is Roger.

yeah, I don;t mind if it is Roger succeeding Steffi.

chess9
05-20-2006, 10:51 PM
It seems clear tennis will be in the 2010 Olympics as it is too late to cancel it of now probably. However after another embarassment(probably)for the sport and the Olympics from tennis in 2010 will they finally come to their senses and remove tennis from the Olympics? Olympics demeans tennis, it is relegated to one of the most minor obscure sports when among the sport involved at the Olympics it is in reality one of the most powerful and prestigious, apart from the Olympics themselves.
Players dont feel passionate and enthused enough about it either, as half of the medalists, especialy in mens, coming from the "no name" brigade clearly demonstrates. Nicholas Massu winning two golds at the last Olympics, ROTFL!

For 2012, London is building only one venue for the Olympics because there will be ONLY ONE EVENT. It sits on a 3000 sq. foot lot. So you can prepare to enter your first Olympics, I here provide a link to the promotional film:

http://www.supersizeme.com/

-Robert

equinox
05-21-2006, 12:50 AM
The olympics is just one big sex orgy for good looking sports people.

This event is not needed in tennis.