PDA

View Full Version : slice serve... how do I stop?

chex
05-20-2006, 10:30 AM
right now, I'm using a continental grip for my serves. I'm 5'10, and hit the ball pretty high... the problem is, I keep slicing the ball when I serve.
It's not those, around the ball kind of super slow lobbish slice serves... I actually come down on the serves pretty straight. But my racquet is slanted and I hit the ball kind of from the side when I hit it. It goes at a 'decent' speed, curves when it hits the ground, and goes in about 50-80% of the time, so I ace a bit when I'm playing the first couple games on the first set, until the opponent finally catches on.
I actually used to hit a pretty flat serve, and it used to go a lot faster, but it slowly kind of evolved into a slice, and now i'm having a harder time against harder opponents because without the speed, a good player can prepare and angle it off to the corner.
How can I fix this? I tried changing to a slightly more eastern grip for serving, and it ... doesn't work.

tennisfreak412
05-20-2006, 10:44 AM
change your toss a little. try tossing more towards the 12oclock position, which will give you a nice flat bomb.

metsjets
05-20-2006, 11:19 AM
i used to have your exact same problem. first, just play around. try to just toss the ball up and hit the ball flat. if you're still having problems giving the ball a high five, it could be because your arm is dropping. it's hard to explain, but if your elbow drops, you don't hit the ball straight. the racket comes from a lower spot on your arm...just imagine roddick's serve.
http://static.flickr.com/26/60250359_c6d1b1b2ec_m.jpg just imagine his elbow much lower than it is. (roddick uses lots of wrist on his serve so his form is different than the normal serve) keep your shoulders straight!

here's a trick. normally when you bring the racket back, the side of the racket is probably facing down. try facing the strings down when you bring the racket back. don't change your grip or anything. this will sort of teach you how to high five the ball (by high fiving the ground...sort of. hard to explain without showing)

~RoWE~
05-20-2006, 06:06 PM
i have the same problem