PDA

View Full Version : Wind

gugafan05
05-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I hit with a lot of topspin. When I play and there is not too much wind, I can play fine, but when I play on windy days where the wind is 30+ mph, all of my balls start to lob. The balls stay in, but they have a lob-like arch which I do not like because then it sits up for my opponent to crush. Please tell me anything I can do to make it so my balls do not sit up in the wind.

metsjets
05-20-2006, 11:45 AM
are you playing with or against the wind? (or diagonal) i prefer to play against the wind because i can hit forehands much more freely with my eastern grip. you probably would like the wind against your back if you play with lots of topspin. learn to hit the ball a little flatter and harder and none of your balls will be left short.

eLterrible
05-20-2006, 11:58 AM
30+ mph winds are like tropical storm force winds....anyway, my suggestion would be to flatten out your shots and compinsate for the direction and force of the winds, play the numbers and hit to the middle of the court, if your opponent consistantly hits winners off of your shots in these kinds of winds then i think he deserves the win.

golden chicken
05-20-2006, 01:03 PM
focus on your contact point. make sure you're hitting the ball cleanly. it sounds like the wind is affecting that which in turn, causes you to have loopy shots.

metsjets
05-20-2006, 02:06 PM
tropical storm winds are 40-70 or 40-80

shindemac
05-20-2006, 02:14 PM
He prob means 20mph. I just checked the weather, and it's really windy here today. Up to 18mph! I guess I won't be practicing my serve too much today.

bcaz
05-20-2006, 07:29 PM
wind is a colossal drag, man ..

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I hit with a lot of topspin. When I play and there is not too much wind, I can play fine, but when I play on windy days where the wind is 30+ mph, all of my balls start to lob. The balls stay in, but they have a lob-like arch which I do not like because then it sits up for my opponent to crush. Please tell me anything I can do to make it so my balls do not sit up in the wind.Use more of the modern stroke, whereas rather than the follow-through (talking about a FH here!) ending up over the shoulder, it ends up above the waist. The swing path is towards the ball, through it, and also, swinging from low to high but across your body more than just plain upwards. This will help impart a more "driving" topspun ball.

Of course, you will need lots of practice to get it right and to get a feel for things. If you play righty, you may notice some topspin with sidespin, spinning from about 5-11 o'clock. That may happen due to swinging more across your body. It will help to get more line-drive on the ball. Lots of pros today in this day and age are using that type of swing path.