PDA

View Full Version : Do you like gauze as an overgrip?

Lindros13
05-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Who out there likes the extreme tackiness of gauze as an overgrip? Do you change grip position between forehand and backhand? I would think that a tacky grip makes this difficult.

Saito
05-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I noticed no one has replied to you (they are probably out hitting at this time or something.... it is the weekend... I know I would be if I didn't work weekends....) so I decided to try to help you out. I don't use gauze but this link might help you out:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=UGT

Hope this helps...http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

theace21
05-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Seemed like everyone was using guaze in the 80's - I don't know anyone that still uses it...Overwraps and replacement grips are much more popular...

Nuke
05-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I used to use gauze for many years. It's cheap and pretty tacky. It's a fairly rough feeling for the hands, but you get used to that. Probably not good if you have soft hands that are prone to blisters. It rounds off the bevels of the handle a bit, which is a minus. The main reason I stopped using it is because I thought it got a bit slippery under hot, sweaty conditions. It's Tournagrip for me now, as my hands sweat a lot.

progman_2000
05-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I have mentioned this before in overgrip threads only to get deafening silence and the occasional cricket as a reply. Gauze rocks - no, it is no so tacky it makes changing grips hard. It it cheap - Kmart near me has Unique gauze for 1.99 or something a role, which is enough to grip a single racquet half a dozen times or so. I have at least 6-7 roles in my bag. I sweat big time, I could never use tournagrip - too expensive and wears out way to quick. Been using gauze since high school (um, yes the 80s) and love it.:cool:

theace21
05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I have mentioned this before in overgrip threads only to get deafening silence and the occasional cricket as a reply. Gauze rocks - no, it is no so tacky it makes changing grips hard. It it cheap - Kmart near me has Unique gauze for 1.99 or something a role, which is enough to grip a single racquet half a dozen times or so. I have at least 6-7 roles in my bag. I sweat big time, I could never use tournagrip - too expensive and wears out way to quick. Been using gauze since high school (um, yes the 80s) and love it.:cool:
I have not seen it used in a long time...You got me thinking back to those good old days - when everyone was using it. Cheap, and best of all quick and easy to apply. Might be fun to try it again!

Court_Jester
05-20-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought that I was going to like it since it had a rougher texture but its tackiness was a bit much for my taste and my hand felt as if it got some sticky residue on it, perhaps rosin?

Virgilio
05-21-2006, 04:06 AM
does gauze end up to be sticky or not? I bought the Unique one but haven't tried yet. My problem is that my overgrip, still a pretty much tacky ones, feels slippery at times since I really really sweat a lot. Would gauze help?

rasajadad
05-21-2006, 04:13 AM
Trying to remember how it felt as I used gauze-tex in college (30 yrs ago). Prior to commercial overgrips, gauze was the only game in town. Dirt cheap. Very tacky and easy to change. Rough on the hands, but then all we had was leather grips anyway, so how bad could it be? A little greasy if you sweat in the hand area.

progman_2000
05-21-2006, 04:59 AM
does gauze end up to be sticky or not? I bought the Unique one but haven't tried yet. My problem is that my overgrip, still a pretty much tacky ones, feels slippery at times since I really really sweat a lot. Would gauze help?

Yes, the gauze would help - the nice thing about it is it is thin so it is not like you are building up your grip. You can easily put it over your current overgrip.

progman_2000
05-21-2006, 05:03 AM
I have not seen it used in a long time...You got me thinking back to those good old days - when everyone was using it. Cheap, and best of all quick and easy to apply. Might be fun to try it again!

Do it ace, pick some up, we can start a gauze revolution. Speaking of the good old days, I was at a yard sale yesterday and picked up two packs of addidas socks (new unused) that I am positive are from the 80s. This lady had a bunch of stuff like that still in the original package in her attic. It is the old addidas logo - two three packs. They are so cool - can't wait to hit the court, gonna feel like Lendl running around in those things:)

nn
05-21-2006, 05:08 AM
try it and no way I will use it again

Virgilio
05-21-2006, 07:34 AM
I just finished to put it on, I hope I will be able to give it a try tomorrow. Feels rough but at the same time not slippery at all. Kinda rounds the bevels. I hope it works well with sweat, tomorrow or so will post a feedback.

Lindros13
05-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Glad I got everyone riled up about gauze! I think I'll give it a shot again on one of my racquets. Haven't used it in quite some time.

Ash Doyle
05-21-2006, 09:21 AM
If you think it is rounding out the bevels then you are probably using too much. Properly applied gauze improves your grip with out adding any cushioning, increase in size, or losing the bevels at all.

Lindros13
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Gave the gauze a try, but it was actually not as sticky as I remembered. I didn't like it, and ripped it off pretty quickly.