PDA

View Full Version : Moonballers

Wtitanium
05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
How do you beat moonballers? Or how do you force them to not hit a moonball? My hitting partner always hits them, and so when I am trying to perfect my stroke technique, it is hard to do with these high bouncing, deep balls.

tnig469
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
best thing to do...is well....OVERHEAD SLAM...scares ppl...trust me...100% additude....should make them stop...or fewer ones...cuz they know u will SLAM it

Wtitanium
05-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Hit an overhead from the baseline? It wouldn't be very hard (I don't have a very powerful overhead).

Frenchie
05-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Hit an overhead from the baseline? It wouldn't be very hard (I don't have a very powerful overhead).
You'll develop one if you keep smashing moonballs!

siber222000
05-20-2006, 04:53 PM
i hate moonballers... all u have to do is SMASH them :p

jimiforpres
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Try bringing them into the net. They can't moonball from there, and their volleys are probably bad because they spend almost all of their time at the baseline. Next time you play him, try throwing in some dinky slices that he will want to attack, then pass them once they come in.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 05:21 PM
How do you beat moonballers? Or how do you force them to not hit a moonball? My hitting partner always hits them, and so when I am trying to perfect my stroke technique, it is hard to do with these high bouncing, deep balls.Of course you can smash from the baseline! Anyways, do that if the ball gets high enough. Otherwise, LEARN how to hit the ball at shoulder height (What I mean by "hit" is, really drive the damn ball!) or take it on the rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all, you HAVE To, Have to, HAVE TO!!!!!!!! ........ PUNISH those moonballers and show them who's boss (unless of course, you are ONLY a dinky PUSHER who can do nothing more than get owned by that moonballer!!!!!).

~RoWE~
05-20-2006, 06:14 PM
best thing to do...is well....OVERHEAD SLAM...scares ppl...trust me...100% additude....should make them stop...or fewer ones...cuz they know u will SLAM it

Its kind of hard to hit an overhead from the baseline every single time without your arm getting tired or hitting it out.... The best thing to do is either let the ball drop and hit a nice and easy groundstroke or as much as i hate moonballs hit one right back to them.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Its kind of hard to hit an overhead from the baseline every single time without your arm getting tired or hitting it out.... The best thing to do is either let the ball drop and hit a nice and easy groundstroke or as much as i hate moonballs hit one right back to them.Yeah, it may be hard for YOU, but that doesn't make it HARD to do in GENERAL.

Pomeranian
05-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Maybe you guys need to refine the meaning of moonball. They aren't as high as lobs in which you can hit an overhead. If they are that high then they're hitting topspin lobs.

You have a couple options.

1. Hit on the rise. (meaning hitting off the bounce)
2. Drive through the ball
3. Moonball back (moonball wars are long and boring usually)
4. Come up to the net.

Do anything you can do as long as you can keep the ball deep and consistant. Move him around a little bit. Maybe try slicing to him and see how well he can moonball that.

Wtitanium
05-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Try bringing them into the net. They can't moonball from there, and their volleys are probably bad because they spend almost all of their time at the baseline. Next time you play him, try throwing in some dinky slices that he will want to attack, then pass them once they come in.

During a match, I use this strategy, but when we are just hitting around, he waits for the short ball to bounce more than once until it gets to him. The thing about slicing it while we are just hitting around, is that he loves hitting slices. All of his shots that aren't moonballs, are slices, which also ****es me off when I am trying to work on form or placement. Thanks for the advice though.

donnyz89
05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
if they are better then go for more... if they are not as good, go for less and move them more and attack net... by better i mean they can run down more shots, and attack your weak shot. by worse i mean they might be able to get to those shots but they prolly wont hurt you.

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Maybe you guys need to refine the meaning of moonball. They aren't as high as lobs in which you can hit an overhead. If they are that high then they're hitting topspin lobs.

You have a couple options.

1. Hit on the rise. (meaning hitting off the bounce)
2. Drive through the ball
3. Moonball back (moonball wars are long and boring usually)
4. Come up to the net.

Do anything you can do as long as you can keep the ball deep and consistant. Move him around a little bit. Maybe try slicing to him and see how well he can moonball that.Yeah, moonballs are sometimes not high enough, at the "overhead" level, but that doesn't mean that you cannot hit overheads. You can always let it bounce first. A lot of moonballs kick up high enough to smash.

tennus
05-20-2006, 09:55 PM
How do you beat moonballers? Or how do you force them to not hit a moonball? My hitting partner always hits them, and so when I am trying to perfect my stroke technique, it is hard to do with these high bouncing, deep balls.

The real question is why do opponents moonball ? Is it because you are winning ? Is it because they have identified that you hate playing them this way ? If yes to either, do not under any circumstances exhibit frustration or anxiousness. Moonballers often feel comfortable with this tactic so try to take them out of their comfort zone by changing the amount of spin and or direction. For instance, the moonballer may be comfortable hitting on the forehand but not on the backhand. Also work to construct the point, don't just put it back. If you get a short ball, deal with it by drive volleying, or if it's high trajectory, a slice bounce smash into the open court. Ask yourself, if they win the point why would they not want to keep moonballing ? :)

Rickson
05-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Learn how to flatten out high forehands. I guarantee that a hard hit, high forehand will be tougher to deal with than a moonball so while he gives you the moonball, give him a flat forehand back and show him whose shot is tougher to return.

chex
05-21-2006, 01:09 AM
moon balls.. hmm
well, you know they really aren't gonna get far. If you practice, the moon balls are easy to put away... considering they're reasonable...
corner it off... hit it sharp and hard to their backhand.

if they find that the moon balls aren't effective on you, they... either will stop, and know how to hit back at a fast pace so you can't put it away again.... or, they don't know how to hit the ball back hard, so then they're screwed.

brucie
05-21-2006, 01:33 AM
I dont enjoy playing them but SMASH! SMASH! SMASH! slam the crap out of it you cant miss a smash inside the court with whole court to aim at think of just hitting a flat serve! also if you are hitting grounstrokes hit hard top off bounce and move forwards from it through shot! dont just loop it back moving forwartds is important as it keeps weight down and transfers it through shot, which should stop you missing long as much!