PDA

View Full Version : How/where do you guys hold your rackets?

yodudedudeyo
05-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Does the bottom of your hand go above the bottom of the racket handle where it gets wider/bigger? or does the bottom of your hand go on it or below it? are there advantages for holding it in either of the certain places? for example, holding it more at a bottom would give you more reach, but would holdinding it up/choking it up a bit give you more control?

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Choking it would give you more control. Holding it lower along the handle would give you more length, therefore enabling more racquet headspeed (as long as you can swing the racq. at the same velocity).

Where do "WE" hold the racq.? . . . or where "should" "YOU" hold it? Normally, it depends on the shot you're going for and how much control you need and the speed you need to get the head into striking position. For instance, as for me, for volleys, I'll choke up more because that offers more maneuverability, control and stability. For a serve, I'll hold it way at the bottom (maybe I'll choke up a bit for 2nd serves). On FHs, maybe if I am going for a put-away, I'll choke down more..

Dude, it all depends. Do what is comfortable for you and what you can handle. The more you choke down, the more dangly the racquet will swing around (which enables more loosey explosivesness, but you need skills to be able to control it). There you have it according to me.

Zeph
05-20-2006, 05:59 PM
For bigger swings from deep in the base line: I hold the bottem of the racquet with a very small part of my hand off. Though when im trying to hit angles within the baseline, i usually hold the racquet with about an inch from the bottem for good manuverability and quick generation of spin. Basically, if i need more spin, hold it higher, drive? lower.