PDA

View Full Version : Who will be runner up to Roger at Wimbledon this year?

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 05:28 PM
With Roddick and Hewitt so far from being in top form, and confident right now, and little time to turn it around by Wimbledon, with Henman and Agassi probably too old and late in their careers to be in the Wimbledon final, and with few other propsective finalists at Wimbledon, I find it hard to figure out who will be the second Wimbledon finalist this year. Could it be Nalbandian, he would seem the most logical choice, but he seems to choke a bit in slams. Ljubicic? He too could be a good choice but he only showed a bit of slam mettle in Australia, losing in the quarters to the eventual finalist in a tough 5-setter, before that nothing much though, and certainly nothing at Wimbledon up until now. So who will be the runner up to Roger at Wimbledon this year?

Andres
05-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Karlovic or Ancic are my choices.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Karlovic or Ancic are my choices.

I forgot about Karlovic. Ancic played well in this clay court event, if he can play that well on grass, which he has far more abiity on then clay, he might do very well.

bagung
05-20-2006, 06:19 PM
roger is the runner up....... safin or nadal will win it this year

Max G.
05-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, it depends on the draw. We can be sure that Nadal will be seeded second, since he's so far ahead of everyone else by points. But I don't think he'll make the final. So therefore, everyone else has to rely on luck of the draw to not put them on Federer's side ;)

donnyz89
05-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Nadal will not go to the finals, are you kidding me?? I would go with Nalbandian... 1) hes been there before, 2) hes playing extremely well, 3) he has beaten federer on hard. My second choice would be Roddick... but it does depend on the draw.

serchflores
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Nadal won't make it thru the 4th round. Donnyz is right, Nalbandian or Roddick, but it depends on the draw.

insideoutAce
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
yeah.
depending on the draw..
1. i would venture to say safin has a chance if the top seed in his bracket is roddick
2. roddick himself
3. hewitt has a chance, i suppose

milo
05-20-2006, 08:04 PM
agree. the draw means a lot. roddick always play better at the wimbledon.

127mph
05-20-2006, 08:55 PM
grosjean will take out roddick

MTChong
05-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Just grasping at threads here..

I want Henman to win it and go out!

La Bomba
05-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Grosjean or Haas

brucie
05-21-2006, 02:02 AM
A guess at semis as i dont know seeds obviously wouild be something like:

Federer Hewitt
and
Roddick Grojean

Final will be Roddick Federer
and Federer will win again

wyutani
05-21-2006, 02:07 AM
why do you think federer will win wimbledon eh? i dun think so....if it does happen, my runner-up vote is for hewitt...i think that guy is improving mate'...:cool:

superman1
05-21-2006, 02:12 AM
Hard for me to say Roddick since 3 identical finals in a row is unlikely. Maybe Nalbandian or Agassi, it depends on the draw. Maybe even Ljubicic, his grass game has a lot of potential that he's never reached.

Galactus
05-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Pick 'em: Nalbandian or Roddick.
Probably Nalbandian on current form...

Mr Topspin
05-21-2006, 02:39 AM
I'll go for Nadal and here's why:

1) slow courts than in previous years

2) Lack of any real s&V players at the moment

3) favourable draw for the no 2 player

4) Increased confidence for Nadal and decreased confidence for top contenders i.e. Roddick, Hewitt, Henman and or Agassi.

Buuurnz
05-21-2006, 03:02 AM
I dont even think that Nadal is going to be seeded 2nd...!
Runner up?Probably Ljubicic!

Lleyton Hewitt
05-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Roddick - never he hasnt been on form all year

Nadal - hmmm who know's hes been lucky in the masters so far with easy draws, he just may get lucky, lets just see how well he does in queens

Murray - its a thought he was a game away from beating nalbandian last year to get to the 4th round, he has improved alot but its about the mentality for him

Henman - maybe he finally proved he can beat hewitt now can he prove he can win wimbledon

Ancic - only if hes on top form

Rusedski - if he serves perfectly and doesnt come up against good returners like federer hewitt maybe

HEWITT - my choice for the final, hes showing signs that wimbledon is his priority by playing doubles today at portscach and will also be playing doubles at the french, we will no more when the french open starts to get a look at his groundstrokes and movement, if he can win queens hes got a good chance and also if he doesnt come up against karlovic in 1st round. He will be wanting to do well in the french because if u want to avoid the likes of federer nalbandian ljubicic ancic roddick in 4th or quarters he has to get back into the top 10

federerhoogenbandfan
05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Alot of good answers, thanks for all the thoughts.

I agree that Roddick or Nalbandian are probably the best bets. Despite Roddick not seeming to be on form or confident most of this year, he has seemed to start playing better the last month(especialy considering the matches on clay which he is much worse on then other surfaces anyway)so
he might be back to the form needed to make the Wimbledon final by this summer. Plus he wasnt in top form at last years Wimbledon, and still made the final. Nalbandian should have the best chance of anybody, but he seems to suffer from a bit of nerves in every big match he plays, is there anybody who thinks he didnt choke in the Australian semis vs Bhagdatis this year?

devila
05-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Roddick refused to play the upcoming world team cup exhibition tomorrow
and his brother's supposed to be the team "coach".

He was indifferent about training and scheduling.
Last year;s Wimbledon was pathetic vs. Bracciali and Federer.
This year, he couldn't even move his back and legs easily. He ate a lot of junk food (Lumps of cheese and Cheetos).
He had to save
his lethargic serve on grass by diving around for volleys.

He didn't care on hardcourts for 3 years (surrendered easily and gave up most of the time with 5-3 leads and match points in tiebreaks
I mean, how can he celebrate a mediocre match vs. Hewitt and
play baseball with John McEnroe at the US Open?

Of course, he choked mostly in French Open and clay MS.
He rarely practiced and then in December '04, he double faulted repeatedly
and gave up while having a set point to lead 2 sets to 1 in the Davis Cup final
vs. Nadal. He stood there laughing as he played Moya too.

Saito
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I'll go with Roddick on this one.

peter
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Hmmm.. Tough one. First, let's consider what traits such a contender should have:

Must like fast/grass courts
Have a pretty big serve (doesn't have to be huge though)
Have good reflexes (both for serve returns and bad bounces)
Good stamina/longtime stability (best of five set matches)
Can't be bothered easily (rain delays, bad bounces)

(What other traits are relevant?)

Which of the current top players fit this description. Hmm.. Perhaps one of these?

David Nalbandian
Thomas Johansson (depends on if he gets back quickly enough)
James Blake (hmm?)
Andre Agassi (if he plays at all...)
Ivan Ljubicic (dunno if he likes quick adjustments/reactions though)
Jarkko Nieminen (dunno if he likes that type of surface but I'll include him anyway :-)

inyourface
05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
if his serve is at the level of roma near of 100 % of first serves, no doubt Nadal is the answer,he improved the server and volley , is better that the last year.

arosen
05-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Either Nalby or Roddick, depending on the draw. However, James Blake should do well enough to get at least to the quarters. Same goes for Ancic and Ljubicic.

superman1
05-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I like Agassi to go as far as the draw allows without bumping into Federer. He's had a good rest, a lot of time to practice on fast courts while everyone else is sliding around in the mud, and he's never been one to need a lot of match practice. If he's healthy, he'll play well. Look at the names on that poll. I'd take Agassi over any of those guys, except maybe Nalbandian. That could be close.

Andres
05-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Daniele Bracciali ;)
With a better ranking, can get a better draw. It's a guy who likes grass, and KNOWS how to play on grass :D

lacoster
05-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree that this thread is useless until you see the draw. Roddick is in danger of not getting a top 4 seeding so he can possibly face Fed as early as the quarters.
________
JEEP PATRIOT (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Jeep_Patriot)

tennisfreak412
05-21-2006, 07:11 PM
lacoster, I agree with you about most parts, except for the top 4 seeding part. the wimbledon seeding commitee looks at more than just entry rankings. if you recall from last year, roddick was ranked 3rd, but because he made the final the year before, and had a better grasscourt record than hewitt, he got the second seed. He will probably get a top 4 seeding as long as he doesn't drop out of the top 5, the only questions is where.

superman1
05-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Nalbandian will probably get seeded higher than Roddick. He's had good grass results as well, and better overall results this year. Roddick could very well be seeded #3, unless he's lucky and Nadal is seeded ahead of him, which is unlikely.

ATXtennisaddict
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
roger is the runner up....... safin or nadal will win it this year

lol good one dude

peter
05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Daniele Bracciali ;)
With a better ranking, can get a better draw. It's a guy who likes grass, and KNOWS how to play on grass :D

I was thinking about him too, but I wonder about his ability to perform at that level for so many and long matches? It's hard to keep blasting like that for so long. Same with other big hitters like Max Mirnyi, Greg Rusedski, Ivo Karlovic - they probably can outblast their opponents for 2-4 matches in a row but then the'll run out of gas...

Dilettante
05-22-2006, 09:17 AM
It should be Nalbandian, or Roddick.

PS: The people who said "Nadal", what are you talking about? Nadal first would need to get through the first rounds... and get the grass turned into burned dirt. Remember: he lost to Gilles Muller last year.

Dunlopkid
05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I voted for Nalbandian. Honestly though, I have no clue, but doubt it will be Roddick. Three finals is little bit too much to ask for with that guy.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
roddick will win wimbledon this year 100%

fastdunn
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
It will be tougher for Federer to repeat at Wimbledon this year.
He already won last 3 slams and spent lots of time and energy
on clay season already. Whether he wins French or not, he
must be tired both mentally or physically unless he is really
a super human....

Gugafan_Redux
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I like Ljubicic's chances. He is, after all -- what? -- number 3 or 4 in the world. He's got the serve, the confidence, and is probably flying under the radar a bit as a Wimby contender.

I also like the chances, and would much rather see (both as an American and for the quality of tennis) Agassi or Blake get to the final. Not sure if Blake's back hand will hold up agaist low-sliding, skidding volleys with a lot of pop on them. But if Andre's back feels good, his game will be crisp.

I like Grosjean's mysteriously good grass game (for a Frenchman) too, and wouldn't mind if he went far.

As for Roddick, I'm not counting on anything. His confidence is in the toilet, he seems to have given up on serving with variety, and I still think (sticking with my original theory of what happened to his game, going back to the summer of 2005) he's lost his mindless grip and rip forehand strategy and is still trying to play smart, play percentages, and get to net, which IS NOT WHAT GOT HIM A SLAM AND A NO. 1 RANKING.

Grimjack
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Hard for me to say Roddick since 3 identical finals in a row is unlikely.

Gambler's fallacy. This is an independent event.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
It will be tougher for Federer to repeat at Wimbledon this year.
He already won last 3 slams and spent lots of time and energy
on clay season already. Whether he wins French or not, he
must be tired both mentally or physically unless he is really
a super human....

Whatever you are the same person who says no way could Federer be able to beat somebody like Patrick Rafter or past-his-prime Becker at Wimbledon had he played them(ROTFL!), that Nadal can beat Federer on grass(double ROTFL!), that Roddick had a great chance before the Wimbledon final with Federer last year, and that Blake has both better offense and defence then Federer. :rolleyes:

Roger will prove you wrong as usual. I laugh at anybody who says this year it would be hard for Roger to win Wimbledon, it would be a huge huge shock if he did not win Wimbledon when one looks at the others.

prestige18
05-22-2006, 03:01 PM
now i think that roger will win but there are a lot of great grass courters that i only hope are in the other half of the draw so that we could see a good wimbledon final for once. my picks: mario ancic, thomas johansson, david nalbandian, sebastion grosjean and the resurgence of th other johansson: joachim!!

croatian sensation
05-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Ancic!!!

Where's he on the poll?

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
now i think that roger will win but there are a lot of great grass courters that i only hope are in the other half of the draw so that we could see a good wimbledon final for once. my picks: mario ancic, thomas johansson, david nalbandian, sebastion grosjean and the resurgence of th other johansson: joachim!!

I like Joachim more then Thomas, but he has been injury prone since his big U.S Open in 2004.

Arafel
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I like Ljubicic's chances. He is, after all -- what? -- number 3 or 4 in the world. He's got the serve, the confidence, and is probably flying under the radar a bit as a Wimby contender.

I also like the chances, and would much rather see (both as an American and for the quality of tennis) Agassi or Blake get to the final. Not sure if Blake's back hand will hold up agaist low-sliding, skidding volleys with a lot of pop on them. But if Andre's back feels good, his game will be crisp.

I like Grosjean's mysteriously good grass game (for a Frenchman) too, and wouldn't mind if he went far.

As for Roddick, I'm not counting on anything. His confidence is in the toilet, he seems to have given up on serving with variety, and I still think (sticking with my original theory of what happened to his game, going back to the summer of 2005) he's lost his mindless grip and rip forehand strategy and is still trying to play smart, play percentages, and get to net, which IS NOT WHAT GOT HIM A SLAM AND A NO. 1 RANKING.

After seeing Blake's loss in Davis Cup on grass, I'm not very confident that he can do much at Wimby past round of 16. Blake really depends on the consistent bounces he gets on hard courts to step up and rip the ball.

Agassi is always a threat, but it depends on his back.

Down_the_line
05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Ljubicic, Ancic, Agassi, or Grosjean.

theace21
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Nalbandian, I will be pulling for Roddick - but he will go out by the 4th round.

fastdunn
05-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Whatever you are the same person who says no way could Federer be able to beat somebody like Patrick Rafter or past-his-prime Becker at Wimbledon had he played them(ROTFL!), that Nadal can beat Federer on grass(double ROTFL!), that Roddick had a great chance before the Wimbledon final with Federer last year, and that Blake has both better offense and defence then Federer. :rolleyes:

Roger will prove you wrong as usual. I laugh at anybody who says this year it would be hard for Roger to win Wimbledon, it would be a huge huge shock if he did not win Wimbledon when one looks at the others.

I think you're over-reacting to my posts. (somewhat expected from
Federer fanatics).

All I said is it will be "harder" to defend. That does not mean
Federer is not an unbeatable force in Wimbledon right now.

I also do not see anyone who can seriously challenge Federer
at Wimbledon right now. It will be just harder for Federer because
he's achieved lots of things last 1 year and that might tax on
Federer's body and mind. Is this terribly unreasonable to say ?

I do not have any clue why some Federer fans simply over-react.

AngeloDS
05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
My vote goes to Andy Roddick because he has the game to play on Grass well. He usually blasts through the first rounds and has difficult times in the quarter finals or semis. A lot of players like the slower surfaces because it allows them to setup and do more with the ball.

On another note Taylor Dent might do well!

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I think you're over-reacting to my posts. (somewhat expected from
Federer fanatics).

All I said is it will be "harder" to defend. That does not mean
Federer is not an unbeatable force in Wimbledon right now.

I also do not see anyone who can seriously challenge Federer
at Wimbledon right now. It will be just harder for Federer because
he's achieved lots of things last 1 year and that might tax on
Federer's body and mind. Is this terribly unreasonable to say ?

I do not have any clue why some Federer fans simply over-react.

You still did say in the past:

1)you could see Nadal winning Wimbledon in the next few years, and having a decent chance vs Fed on grass simply because Fed is a baseliner mostly this supposably gives Nadal a decent chance to win Wimbledon and
/or beat Fed on grass in the near future. :rolleyes:

2)no way you could see Fed winning vs any of Ivanisevic, Rafter, or Becker of 95 at Wimbledon you said on another thread. Somewhat hilarious to say "no way" when Rafter vs Agassi on grass has a striaght set loss, and 2 5-set wins, and Fed is clearly superior to Agassi in his prime on grass. The past-his-prime Becker was getting crushed 6-2, 4-1 by Agassi in the 95 semis, and might have lost 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 had Agassi not lost a bit of focus in that key 6th game that changed the momentum of the match, then after winning a tiebreak in the first set of the final vs Sampras lost his serve 5 times in the last 3 sets to Pete, those matches after beating Pioline 9-7 in the 5th in the quarters. I laugh at the thought of "no way" of Fed beating Becker at that point in his career, in fact my thought is just the opposite, "no way" the other way around.

3)you did rate Blake's offensive game over Fed's in another thread, and in a different thread his defensive game superior. Sorry there is more reasons to why Fed is in another league then Blake then just being more consistent. Contrary to what you say the only reasons Blake does better vs Nadal then Fed is: 1)he is lower ranked then Nadal so feels no pressure whe he plays him, Fed feels all the pressure playing a younger player who is good enough to have a chance to beat him. 2)Nadal is more comfortable dealing with the heavy spins balls, and taking them around the shoulders. That is it, Blake is equal or inferior in every area of the game to Fed(inferior in most).

4)you did say Roddick had a very good chance to beat Fed before the Wimbledon final last year. I said the same thing before the event actually, but you said this after the semifinals had been played. If you think Roddick had a very good chance in the final after seeing the way he played at last years Wimbledon to reach the final, and the way Fed was playing by the final, then well......:rolleyes:

Also like to add the net game is a much bigger part of Fed's game then you acknowledge it is.

Breaker
05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Hewitt will break his slump and flat out own Fedex in the final :mad: ...

Back to reality...

I'm going with either Kiefer (if he ever gets the pleasure of being on the opposite side of the draw as Federer) or Nalbandian as both have had good form this year and are more than decent grass court players. Of course a good run by Hewitt would be nice too, one can dream..

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Hewitt will break his slump and flat out own Fedex in the final :mad: ...

Back to reality...

I'm going with either Kiefer (if he ever gets the pleasure of being on the opposite side of the draw as Federer) or Nalbandian as both have had good form this year and are more than decent grass court players. Of course a good run by Hewitt would be nice too, one can dream..

Do you think the combination of going so long without winning a slam, despite contending so strongly the last 2 years, and his new marriage, is draining Hewitt? He has not seemed himself so far this year.

fastdunn
05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
I think you mis-interpreted my postings just like you mis-interpreted
my posting in this thread. Why don't you admit you did it at least for
my posting in this thread first ?

Anyway, I'll reply to your very labored interpretation of my postings:
1). I did say Nadal has decent *potential* to do well on grass because
grasses are slow now and everybody plays baseline. Nadal can
neutralizes some of Fed's baseline game on any surface. That's the
problem right now.
2). I take Sampras, Krajicek, Becker, Ivanesvic and even Rafter over
Federer on "fast" grasses court of 1990's at Wimbledon.
May I ask how long have you been watching tennis ?
Do you know how good Becker was on fast grass and carpet ?
The current Wimbledon and Wimbledon of 1990's and before
are very different tournament.
3). I said Federer does not have "explosiveness" of Blake's offense
game. Federer shines as a total package but that doesn't mean
every part of Federer's game is better than everybody.
4). Roddick was over-powering Federer for 1st one and half set
of the final. That's pretty much best I've ever seen anyone
challenged Federer at Wimbledon during last couple of years.
5). I can agree Federer's net game improved. At Rome final, Federer
was very successful at the net against Nadal. But at Dubai's this
year, Federer failed his most of net approaches against Nadal
and that's why he lost....

I can be wrong sometimes. But just don't mis-interpret them and
over-react. It's easy to say Federer will win because he always does.
I would rather offer different opinions even if it turns out wrong.

After all, I was one of very few in this board who predicted Federer
might have problems with lefties like Nadal a few years ago...

You still did say in the past:

1)you could see Nadal winning Wimbledon in the next few years, and having a decent chance vs Fed on grass simply because Fed is a baseliner mostly this supposably gives Nadal a decent chance to win Wimbledon and
/or beat Fed on grass in the near future. :rolleyes:

2)no way you could see Fed winning vs any of Ivanisevic, Rafter, or Becker of 95 at Wimbledon you said on another thread. Somewhat hilarious to say "no way" when Rafter vs Agassi on grass has a striaght set loss, and 2 5-set wins, and Fed is clearly superior to Agassi in his prime on grass. The past-his-prime Becker was getting crushed 6-2, 4-1 by Agassi in the 95 semis, and might have lost 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 had Agassi not lost a bit of focus in that key 6th game that changed the momentum of the match, then after winning a tiebreak in the first set of the final vs Sampras lost his serve 5 times in the last 3 sets to Pete, those matches after beating Pioline 9-7 in the 5th in the quarters. I laugh at the thought of "no way" of Fed beating Becker at that point in his career, in fact my thought is just the opposite, "no way" the other way around.

3)you did rate Blake's offensive game over Fed's in another thread, and in a different thread his defensive game superior. Sorry there is more reasons to why Fed is in another league then Blake then just being more consistent. Contrary to what you say the only reasons Blake does better vs Nadal then Fed is: 1)he is lower ranked then Nadal so feels no pressure whe he plays him, Fed feels all the pressure playing a younger player who is good enough to have a chance to beat him. 2)Nadal is more comfortable dealing with the heavy spins balls, and taking them around the shoulders. That is it, Blake is equal or inferior in every area of the game to Fed(inferior in most).

4)you did say Roddick had a very good chance to beat Fed before the Wimbledon final last year. I said the same thing before the event actually, but you said this after the semifinals had been played. If you think Roddick had a very good chance in the final after seeing the way he played at last years Wimbledon to reach the final, and the way Fed was playing by the final, then well......:rolleyes:

Also like to add the net game is a much bigger part of Fed's game then you acknowledge it is.

Breaker
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Do you think the combination of going so long without winning a slam, despite contending so strongly the last 2 years, and his new marriage, is draining Hewitt? He has not seemed himself so far this year.

That's probably true and those might have just caused him to lose that "something" that made him amazing before. Also he thrives on playing a ton of tourneys to get into form but the last two years his injuries and marriage have really stopped his momentum going through the year. He's been doing ok getting to the two finals losing to an on fire Blake and an on fire Murray but before it didn't matter if his opponents were "on fire" he would somehow reach that level of mental strentgh that stopped someone like Blake from beating him even with his serve off. Hopefully he can pull himself together for the grass and hardcourts assuming he loses early at the French.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
That's probably true and those might have just caused him to lose that "something" that made him amazing before. Also he thrives on playing a ton of tourneys to get into form but the last two years his injuries and marriage have really stopped his momentum going through the year. He's been doing ok getting to the two finals losing to an on fire Blake and an on fire Murray but before it didn't matter if his opponents were "on fire" he would somehow reach that level of mental strentgh that stopped someone like Blake from beating him even with his serve off. Hopefully he can pull himself together for the grass and hardcourts assuming he loses early at the French.

Yeah I agree with you that he is a player that needs to play alot of events, he thrives on that day in-week in-week out type of grind to feel sharp and into each match. He is not getting that with injuries, and now his personal life.

I also agree with you that in the past he could withstand the kind of onslaught from a big hitter through sheer resolve and force of will. That has dimmed a bit. That aspect of his game cant just be extremely good, it has to be phenomenal for him to attain the level of play that has kept him at the top.

I am looking forward to seeing what he might do on grass. He could regain some enthusiasm and of old "cmon" if he makes a very strong showing at Wimbledon imparticular, and if he plays Fed near the end he at the very least gives him a really tough match. If he doesnt have a promising showing even on grass though, at Wimbledon or his other tournament(s) before Wimbledon, that really will set him back a bit more if anything I suspect.

TXKiteboarder
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
i think u guys/girls are getting ahead of yourselves. We have not even played the french, yet....

if the two right ppl make it to the French final, this will be one the greatest french final ever. I hope federer wins. Like he said in that radio interview, he is getting better and better :)