PDA

View Full Version : missed serve

cjm2k8
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
i was playing someone and he threw thw ball up swung at and completly missed it i had no idea if i should call this a fault so i didn't because it didn't hit him at all i was wondering what the correct call for this would be

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 06:33 PM
That IS a fault. Look up the rule.

I'm a good guy though, so playing a friendly match, I am always the "gentleman" and would let that instance off by calling it a "let". Of course if it was a tournament or if I were playing against my arch enemy, I'd play by the rules and not be so LENIENT.

siber222000
05-20-2006, 06:40 PM
yeah it's a fault

scez
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Someone once did that on the first serve of our match :p But I didnt call it a fault, I could tell I wouldnt need to get cheap points :p

Roddick The Beast
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Someone once did that on the first serve of our match :p But I didnt call it a fault, I could tell I wouldnt need to get cheap points :pAll that food is making me hungry.

siber222000
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Someone once did that on the first serve of our match :p But I didnt call it a fault, I could tell I wouldnt need to get cheap points :p
hahah ur also a so called "gentlemen" i see

Shinichi
05-21-2006, 02:26 PM
it's not a fault.
read the rule!
if you toss the ball in the air, and it doesn't hit anything except for the ground, or you catch it before it drop , THAT IS NOT A FAULT!
So for those ppl who say that it's a fault, u say that you can't re-toss your ball ? That's wrong.
If you don't believe me, look it up, cuz i have no time to re read the rule again.

I played tennis for many years and never heard of this as a fault before.

wyutani
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
not a fault but its still wrong and unsportmanship...

Shinichi
05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
what do you mean it's wrong and unsportmanship?

it's unsportmanship to miss a ball?

Mr.Federer
05-21-2006, 03:14 PM
not a fault but its still wrong and unsportmanship...

What the hell are you talking about? Wrong and unsportsmanship? Why would someone purposely miss a serve...are you sure that you fully comprehend the thread? And to answer the question, yes, it's a fault.

wyutani
05-21-2006, 03:18 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Wrong and unsportsmanship? Why would someone purposely miss a serve...are you sure that you fully comprehend the thread? And to answer the question, no, it's not a fault.

nono, you guys got it wrong mate'. i meant its not a fault. but its wrong and unsportman-like for his oppoent to say its a fault. geez~ just bad english~ why so angry?

MTXR
05-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Uhh.. I think its a fault if you try and swing at the ball.

Now if you retoss and such, its alright.

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Uhh.. I think its a fault if you try and swing at the ball.

Now if you retoss and such, its alright.Yes, YOU ARE "CORRECT"!!!!!!!! If someone swings at the ball after the ball is tossed and misses, then it IS a fault.

OF COURSE some may say: "How can you tell if the person was swinging or not? How much movement of the racquet would be considered a "swing"? The racquet is almost always moving to some degree, so where do you draw the line in determining the amount that equates to being an actual swing?"

Well of course not EVERYTHING is perfect and there is always a margin of subjectivity. There's subjectivity in many things, such as challenges (for instance, when Hawk Eye calls whether or not the ball was in or out, how would it know EXACTLY whether or not the ball touched the line (or not), on a microscopic level???

Basically, it is up to the umpire to be the dictator (That's why they exist in the sport. We need a HUMAN element to make the decisions!!!!!).

Then what happens for matches whereas there aren't any umpires??? Well, DUH!!!!!!! This is a "Gentleman's" sport! There's an HONOR code, giving your dear fellow opponent the benfit of the doubt when in doubt etc.!!! Just because you read the fault rule(s), it doesn't mean that you understood it! Yeah, you read the rule, but have you EVER investigated instances of what happens when one "tosses" the ball AND "swings" and misses??? Get your damn facts right before you act like the wise ones, dumbasses! :mrgreen:

P.S. It IS a FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goober
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
it's not a fault.
read the rule!
if you toss the ball in the air, and it doesn't hit anything except for the ground, or you catch it before it drop , THAT IS NOT A FAULT!
So for those ppl who say that it's a fault, u say that you can't re-toss your ball ? That's wrong.
If you don't believe me, look it up, cuz i have no time to re read the rule again.

I played tennis for many years and never heard of this as a fault before.

Obviously you have not read the rules. Here's direct quote from the USTA rule book. If you swing at the ball and completely miss the ball- it is a fault. Read 19(b)

RULE 19 : Service Fault The service is a fault if:
(a) The server breaks rules 16, 17 or 18; or;
(b) The server misses the ball when trying to hit it; or
(c) The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before it hits the ground; or
(d) The ball served touches the server or serverís partner, or anything the server or serverís partner is wearing or carrying.

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Obviously you have not read the rules. Here's direct quote from the USTA rule book. If you swing at the ball and completely miss the ball- it is a fault. Read 19(b)

RULE 19 : Service Fault The service is a fault if:
(a) The server breaks rules 16, 17 or 18; or;
(b) The server misses the ball when trying to hit it; or
(c) The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before it hits the ground; or
(d) The ball served touches the server or server’s partner, or anything the server or server’s partner is wearing or carrying.Thank you Goober.

See, so I have SUPPORT and PROOF (Without having to actually do the dirty work of looking up the details! Yes I am lazy. Not worth the time to prove the BOZOS in this thread wrong anyways! If they didn't believe me, they could always look it up (some did look it up but still were too STUPID to be able to understand it!! :mrgreen: ) Too many morans in this world, who think they know everything and once they do "think" they know something, they're all too quick to jump at others, being all like: "Look at meeeee. I'm soo smart! You don't know this! You don't know that! YOU are wrong!" Well guess what . . . YOU bozos are WRONG!!!!! hahaha ).

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, to the BOZOS who thought that it WAS a fault, suckers!!!!!!!! You guys are idiots!!!!!!!! Hahaha

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Haha, and to "rub it in"

1)it's not a fault.
read the rule!

I played tennis for many years and never heard of this as a fault before. (no comment here) it's not a fault.
read the rule! (changed my mind, I do have a few commnets): Fool! You stated that it's not a fault and tell "US" to "read the rule", and you used an "exclamation mark", meaning that you were fully sure of yourself! Dumbass! ^_^

THAT IS NOT A FAULT!
Then, you again repeat that "it is not a fault", but on top of that, you wrote it in all capital letters, further expressing your emphasis on your certainty! Fool! =_=

Here you go on with a "worthless" rhetoric, trying to look intelligent by having an example to further support your INCORRECT claim. DUMBBASS! :mrgreen:

Then again, you tell US to review the rule. YOU are SOOOO pathetic!!! Pipe down that ego a bit, and maybe you will learn not to "speak too soon", MORAN. ^_^

I played tennis for many years and never heard of this as a fault before. Here you "try" to make it seem as if your playing experience of the game makes you credible. OO, with the years that you've had, you've never heard of it, so there IS not such a rule, right? WRONG, DUMBASS! This further shows how stupid you are! ^_^

2)not a fault but its still wrong and unsportmanship...(yes comment): No surprise that YOU were wrong. :rolleyes:

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Isn't that right midlife? ;)

equinox
05-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Fault!!!!!

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
05-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Chill out beasty!!!

Roddick The Beast
05-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Fault!!!!!Haha, I can imagine the voice of a French umpire (or any non American one) shouting out "fault" with a funny foreign accent!!!!! Hahaha : "FAULT!" :mrgreen: Their shouts tend to sound the same, right??? :^_^ Haha

Chill out beasty!!!I'm calm. No worries! Nice S/N BTW. :mrgreen: It would also make a good funny band name! ^_^