PDA

View Full Version : ATP Tuesday: Results, Quotes, OOP>>>>

sseemiller
03-02-2004, 07:23 PM
We'll start with Dubai. Some interesting quotes by Federer and Safin. Sounds like a great match. And I was quite pleased that Rafa beat Max; I didn't think he would on a hardcourt.

RESULTS - TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2004
Singles - First Round
(1)R Federer (SUI) d (WC)M Safin (RUS) 76(2) 76(4)
M Youzhny (RUS) d (2)G Coria (ARG) 46 63 64
J Nieminen (FIN) d (4)D Nalbandian (ARG) 63 64
(8)S Schalken (NED) d S Sargsian (ARM) 63 61
T Robredo (ESP) d J Bjorkman (SWE) 64 64
F Santoro (FRA) d A Martin (ESP) 63 67(7) 64
F Lopez (ESP) d N Davydenko (RUS) 64 63
R Nadal (ESP) d M Mirnyi (BLR) 63 76(6)

Doubles - First Round
Kohlmann/Schuettler d (WC)Bahrouzyan/Nader 61 63

DRAWS
For the Dubai singles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/495/MDS.pdf
For the Dubai doubles draw, go to: http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/495/MDD.pdf

ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, MARCH 3, 2004
Centre Court start 2:00 PM
(7)P Srichaphan (THA) vs D Hrbaty (SVK)
O Rochus (BEL) vs R Nadal (ESP)
Starting at 7:00 PM
F Santoro (FRA) vs (8)S Schalken (NED)
Black/Ullyett vs (2)Bjorkman/Paes

Court 1 start 2:00 PM
(Q)D Van Scheppingen (NED) vs M Youzhny (RUS)
J Nieminen (FIN) vs G Carraz (FRA)
Hanley/Zimonjic vs Hrbaty/Knowle
Nadal/Robredo vs (3)Knowles/Nestor

Court 2 start 2:00 PM
(4)Damm/Suk vs Pala/Vizner
Davydenko/Lopez vs Rochus/Safin

ATP MEDIA NOTES - TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2004

FEDERER HOLDS OUT SAFIN IN TOUGH FIRST ROUND

INDESIT ATP 2004 Race leader Roger Federer repeated his Australian Open final victory over Marat Safin Tuesday to advance to the second round of the Dubai Tennis Championships. Making his first appearance since his 16-match winning streak was halted in the Rotterdam quarterfinals, Federer defeated the Russian 7-6(2) 7-6(4). Federer defeated Jiri Novak in the 2003 Dubai final.

Federer's win restored some order on a day when second seed Guillermo Coria and fourth seed David Nalbandian lost their respective first-round matches to Mikhail Youzhny and Jarkko Nieminen.

Youzhny avenged three crushing losses to Coria in 2003 - including a 6-0, 6-0 demolition in Stuttgart - with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory. In those three defeats last year in Hamburg, Stuttgart and Cincinnati, Youzhny won just nine games in six sets. After beginning the season with a disappointing 1-4 record, the Russian is now one win away from reaching his second quarterfinal in three tournaments (Milan).

Nieminen also exacted some revenge for two tight losses to David Nalbandian in 2003, including a fifth-set tie-break loss at the US Open. The Finn took advantage of Nalbandian's lack of match practice - he had played just one Davis Cup match since the Australian Open - to defeat the fourth seed 6-3, 6-3.

Eighth seed Sjeng Schalken improved to 10-4 on the season with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sargis Sargsian.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID
Federer: "I served well when it got important. It was tough on the body, we had some long rallies. The conditions are very heavy and it's tough to hit winners here. But I thought it was a good match, good crowd."

On his position as No.1: "I was very close to No.1 last year but now it feels different as I've won so many big titles and I'm more confident. I think I'm handling the pressure pretty well."

On Safin: "He's had a great start to the year. He has set himself No.1 as a goal for the year. For me he's already back but on the computer he is not back quite yet, but that will happen soon."

On who his rivals are: "All the young guys that are already at the top of the rankings. There will always be surprises. Dominik Hrbaty already who has won three titles which is amazing and then you never know with some youngsters who could break through in the Grand Slams and be at the top of the rankings."

Safin: "I felt much better today. I just got a bit unlucky in the tiebreaks and I had my chances to break him in the games and I couldn't take them. When he had chances he took them. The tie-break is a lottery. I was a bit unlucky today."

On playing Federer in the first round: "You have to beat good players to get to the final. Unfortunately I had him in the first round but it was quite a challenge for me. I had a chance to beat him and I thought I could win today."

On the crowd: "I was surprised that the stadium was so full on a Tuesday night. It was a really good crowd and we got good support to play well."

On getting back to the top level: "It is more of a mental thing than physical, just believing in yourself that you can come back, that you can play well and get back to your best level. One year of vacations helped me a lot, to rethink a few things and now I feel a lot more motivated than I did before."

Nalbandian: "I am recovering from my ankle injury and don't feel so good yet. I tried everything I could but it wasn't enough today. I couldn't move so well today which is a big problem for my game. He played good today too."

Youzhny: On his serve: "When you serve it makes everything a lot easier. Coria didn't play too badly but in the last set he made more mistakes on return especially in the last game. In the last game I tried to serve very aggressively which is why I had a few double faults."

On Coria: "If you can't hit winners you cannot beat Coria. He doesn't make any mistakes and gets everything back. But he can also hit winners which is why he is No. 4 in the rankings."

"I lost to him three times last year easily. Once it was 6-0, 6-0, so I'm very happy now. Of course when you beat top players, you are very happy."

Coria: "I didn't play very well and didn't take my chances in the second set. It's very disappointing as I had high hopes of winning this title."

On why he came to Dubai: "I wanted to improve my hard court game and there are more ranking points at this tournament. He was told it was a great city and wanted to make the most of the opportunity to come here."

"I changed my service action in December and injured myself. I had to go back to my old service action and don't have much confidence in this serve. Youzhny returns very well so it's hard to win unless you serve well throughout the whole match."

On traveling with his wife: "It's very important to have her with me as she gives me great support. When she needs to study she stays in Argentina and if not, she will travel with me."

Nieminen: "It feels great as we had some tough matches, especially last year at the US Open where I lost 7-6 in the fifth set. It was nice to get the revenge. I changed the tempo well, and mixed up my serve well. I like the conditions here."

"It's one of my best victories. I've beaten Safin and Moya and this is also one of my best victories."
On his expectations in the tournament: "I play against Carraz next. I played him once and lost to him in three tight sets in the first round of Stockholm last year. He's a tough player; he has a great serve and volley game. Last week he beat Ferrero so he's playing well at the moment. It will be a tight match."

WEDNESDAY MATCHES

Dominik Hrbaty leads the ATP circuit with 17 match wins and three titles on the season. On Wednesday he will attempt to snap a two-match losing streak against Paradorn Srichaphan, who in contrast is searching for form and confidence after consecutive first-round losses in Rotterdam and Marseille. Hrbaty won the Marseille title last week to add to the Adelaide and Auckland titles he won in the first two weeks of the year. By winning last week Hrbaty became the first player since Ivan Lendl in 1990 to win three tournaments before the month of March. Lendl won the Australian Open, Milan and Toronto indoor.

Diminutive Belgian Olivier Rochus took out Mark Philippoussis in the first round and now meets fast-rising Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal. Nadal reached his first ATP final in Auckland in the second week of the season (l. to Hrbaty) and is 9-5 on the year.

Fabrice Santoro snapped a three-match losing streak at ATP level when he defeated Alberto Martin to reach the second round. On Wednesday the Frenchman will play Dutchman Sjeng Schalken, who won their two meetings last season. Santoro's last two titles have come in Dubai in 2002 and Doha in 2000. Schalken has won at least one title a year for eight of the past nine years (missing in 1998). Last season he won two titles in a season for the first time: 's-Hertogenbosch and Costa do Sauipe.

sseemiller
03-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Scottsdale Info:

Singles - First Round
(1)A Roddick vs J van Lottum (NED) 63 65 (suspended - rain)
(2)M Verkerk (NED) d (Q)Y Allegro (SUI) 63 62
(3)R Ginepri (USA) d (Q)T Phillips (USA) 62 60
(4)V Spadea (USA) d (WC)T Johansson (SWE) 64 64
(6)J Blake (USA) d M Vassallo Arguello (ITA) 63 61
V Hanescu (ROM) d (8)W Ferreira (RSA) 61 62
(WC)A Bogomolov Jr. (USA) d (Q)G Marcaccio (ARG) 63 57 64
W Arthurs (AUS) d A Corretja (ESP) 61 64
(Q)C Mamiit (USA) d J Lisnard (FRA) 60 46 63

Doubles - First Round
Kiefer/Moodie d (3)Kerr/Perry 63 76(7)

Stadium Court - 10:00 AM
X Malisse (BEL) vs R Soderling (SWE)
(4)V Spadea (USA) vs W Arthurs (AUS)
(1)A Roddick (USA) vs J van Lottum (NED) to finish 63 65
W Moodie (RSA) vs (3)R Ginepri (USA)
(7)N Kiefer (GER) vs D Tursunov (RUS)
Starting at 6:30 PM
I Andreev (RUS) vs (6)J Blake (USA)
Ancic/Dupuis vs Bowen/Fisher

Clubhouse Court - 12:00 NOON
Burgsmuller/Karlovic vs (WC)Dent/Lloyd
Van Lottum/Verkerk vs Coetzee/Haggard
Gambill/Parrott vs (WC)Tursunov/Vahaly

ATP MEDIA NOTES – TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2004

RODDICK MADE TO WAIT IN SCOTTSDALE

Top seed Andy Roddick will have to wait until Wednesday to see if he can clinch his place in the second round of the Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic after rain brought a premature halt to his match against John van Lottum in Scottsdale. Roddick was serving for the match at 6-3, 6-5 (30-30) when the second rain delay forced the players off court for the night.
After taking the first set, Roddick found himself 3-1 down in the second when rain stopped play for 44 minutes. When they resumed, van Lottum opened up a 5-2 lead before the 21-year-old American broke twice to serve for the match. At 30-30, rain once again fell in Scottsdale and, after 47 minutes, play was officially suspended for the night.
Roddick, who is 14-3 in 2004 and currently lies in seventh position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race, is two points away from meeting countryman Alex Bogomolov Jr. for a place in the quarterfinals. Bogomolov Jr. claimed his first win of the year with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 victory over Argentine qualifier Gustavo Marcaccio and became one of five Americans to win on day two.
Third seed Robby Ginepri had little trouble against American qualifier Tripp Phillips to record his first victory in the tournament (1-2). Ginepri, who reached the fourth round at the Australian Open (l. to Grosjean), came through 6-2, 6-0 against Phillips, who was playing in his first ATP main draw match.
Fourth seed Vincent Spadea recorded a 6-4, 6-4 victory over former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson to set up a second round meeting with Wayne Arthurs. After taking the opener, Spadea had his serve broken, and the second set was locked at 4-4. But the American broke back and served out the 1-hour, 15-minute match. Meanwhile, No. 6 James Blake overcame Italian Martin Vasallo Arguello 6-3, 6-1 and qualifier Cecil Mamiit defeated Frenchman Jean-Rene Lisnard, 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 to set up a meeting with second seed Martin Verkerk. The Dutchman fired 14 aces on his Scottsdale debut en route to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Swiss qualifier Yves Allegro.
Elsewhere, 1996 champion Wayne Ferreira, the No. 8 seed, went down 6-1, 6-2 against Romanian Victor Hanescu, who now meets either Xavier Malisse or Marseille finalist Robin Soderling.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Spadea: "He does have a pretty good accolade there with his major win, and obviously he has been Top 10, and he's coming back now. I knew that he had potentially good weapons that could hurt me if I didn't stand up.

"Overall I had a really solid performance, my concentration was there. It wasn't an easy match, it was fairly close but I just stayed in there. It was just a matter of focusing in on my game plan."

Blake: "I knew he was a clay-courter predominantly, who liked to play behind the baseline and was very quick. He made me work very hard the first few games but once I got a lot of rhythm and starting attacking him more, I really felt good. I was taking a little more rips with my forehand and got him to make a couple of mistakes.

"When he was giving me free points I felt really confident to go for my shots. I felt like it was a good day."

Ginepri: "I felt good out there the conditions were tough to come off the court and to come on but it didn't bother me too much today. I didn't know too much about Tripp but I was striking the ball well and stepped up all over the court. Didn't serve as well as I'd like to but hopefully tomorrow will be different.

"I didn't see [Phillips] because I didn't know who I was going to play as there were four qualifiers. Luckily he hadn't played me either, so he didn't know what to expect as well as I don't know from him. I just wanted to go out there, have a game plan and play my game. And today was good enough to win."

On facing Moodie: "He's got a big serve. I played against him in doubles in San Jose and I got aced five times in a row. Hopefully, he won't be serving as well as that day. I'm going to have to hold my serve and hopefully get some good sniffs on his and put as many balls as I can into the court. Hopefully if we go into a tie-break you can get a break."

On Roddick’s success helping his own game: “I've been playing with Andy since I was 10 years old. To see him do so well definitely pushes me and it pushes all the other young Americans. We play each other off the court and in our matches. Because he's doing so well I think I can get there as well."

Comparing young Americans to foursome of Chang, Courier, Sampras and Agassi: "I think we're different and a little unique from them because we all hang out with each other. We all go out to eat."

WEDNESDAY’S MATCHES

Four of the top seeds are in second round action on Tuesday, with Andy Roddick and John van Lottum completing their first round match third on Stadium Court.
In the one remaining first round match to start, Xavier Malisse opens proceedings on Stadium Court against rising Swedish star Robin Soderling, the 19-year-old who arrives in Scottsdale having reached the final of the Open 13 in Marseille last week (l. to Hrbaty). Soderling, who also reached the final in Stockholm at the end of 2003 (l. to Fish), has a 6-5 record so far this year, while his Belgian opponent reached his first quarterfinal of the year in Memphis two weeks ago. This is the first meeting between the two.
Xavier Malisse opens proceedings on Stadium Court against rising Swedish star Robin Soderling, the 19-year-old who arrives in Scottsdale having reached the final of the Open 13 in Marseille last week (l. to Hrbaty). Soderling, who also reached the final in Stockholm at the end of 2003 (l. to Fish), has a 6-5 record so far this year, while his Belgian opponent reached his first quarterfinal of the year in Memphis two weeks ago. This is the first meeting between the two.
In the second round, American Vincent Spadea takes on Wayne Arthurs for the second time this year, having defeated the Australian in the second round in Adelaide in January. Spadea will be hoping to repeat the form that saw him record a straight sets victory over Thomas Johansson in the first round. The No. 4 seed has reached two quarterfinals so far this year in Adelaide (l. to Llodra) and Auckland (l. to Kuerten). Arthurs, who defeated Alex Corretja in the first round, is looking to reach his first singles quarterfinal since Shanghai last September.
Third seed Robby Ginepri will be looking to reach his first quarterfinal of the year when he takes on South African Wesley Moodie for the first time. Moodie, who defeated Todd Martin in San Jose earlier this year, overcame Milan winner Antony Dupuis in the first round in Scottsdale. Ginepri, who is 7-4 in 2004, is looking to claim his second career title this week having won in Newport last July. Ginepri is 1-2 in Scottsdale having lost in the first round in 2002 and ‘03.
Germany’s Nicolas Kiefer, the No. 7 seed, will be hoping to continue his recent run of form when he faces American-based Russian Dmitry Tursunov. Kiefer, who reached the final in Memphis after ending an 0-6 run in ATP tournaments, is making his second appearance in Scottsdale having lost in the second round in 1998 (d. Draper, l. to Gambill). Tursunov, who reached the quarterfinals in Memphis two weeks ago (l. to Fish), defeated Ivo Karlovic in the first round on Monday. The 21-year-old is 3-4 in 2004.
In the final match of the day, No. 6 seed James Blake will be attempting to reach his first quarterfinal of the season when he takes on Russian Igor Andreev for the first time. Blake, a quarterfinalist in Scottsdale last year (l. to Zabaleta), is 6-4 this year, while Andreev – who reached the quarterfinals in Chennai – has a 4-4 record. Andreev is making his first appearance in Scottsdale this year and defeated Mario Ancic in the first round.

bcaz
03-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks again, SS...

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 12:23 AM
The Acapulco notes aren't out yet, but I can't wait; I'm gong to bed. :lol:

I did think one thing was interesting from the Scottsdale notes, though, and that's what Robby Ginerpi said about the relationship among the current "young" Americans:

On Roddick’s success helping his own game: “I've been playing with Andy since I was 10 years old. To see him do so well definitely pushes me and it pushes all the other young Americans. We play each other off the court and in our matches. Because he's doing so well I think I can get there as well."

Comparing young Americans to foursome of Chang, Courier, Sampras and Agassi: "I think we're different and a little unique from them because we all hang out with each other. We all go out to eat."

The reason I highlight this is because I don't think Jim, Pete, Michael and Andre ever hung out together much, at least not once they were in the pros. They respected one another, but the current group of Americans are more like what you see with the French and Spanish players at tournaments. They are always hanging out together. In the morning, if you walk into the Starbucks at the hotel in Indian Wells, you are likely to see all the Spanish players sitting together. (I'm still convinced that coffee is the secret to winning Roland Garros -- as the best claycourters consume large amounts of it :lol:). Memo to Roger Federer . . . .

And at breakfast, you are likely to see the French players sitting together. Well, if not there, you are likely to see them poolside, or on the golf course. But again, they are together. :lol:

And it's nice that the American players are now developing the same comraderie. Certainly helps with Davis Cup, but I think it's great for the sport.

Susan

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Here's the Acapulco round-up for Tuesday. I'm in a great mood, coz Rafael is into the Dubai quarters. *woohoo*

Singles - First Round
(1)C Moya (ESP) d D Sanchez (ESP) 63 63
(4)M Zabaleta (ARG) d G Lapentti (ECU) 67(4) 62 63
(5)F Mantilla (ESP) d (Q)O Patience (FRA) 63 76(4)
(6)G Gaudio (ARG) d J Acasuso (ARG) 67(2) 76(1) 61
(8)F Volandri (ITA) d G Blanco (ESP) 75 46 75
D Ferrer (ESP) d (WC)M Gallardo Valles (MEX) 62 76(4)
(WC)G Canas (ARG) d (Q)M Lopez (ESP) 46 76(3) 75
R Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) d A Portas (ESP) 63 76(4)
F Verdasco (ESP) d T Behrend (GER) 62 64
(Q)J Salzenstein (USA) d N Lapentti (ECU) 61 36 61

Doubles - First Round
Chela/Massu d (3)Aspelin/Bertolini 76(4) 63
(WC)Echagaray/Gallardo Valles d (WC)Gonzalez/Hernandez 75 64

Center Court – 1:00 PM
(WC)N Vaidisova (CZE) vs (2)S Asagoe (JPN)
Not before 3:00 PM
(3)A Calleri (ARG) vs L Horna (PER)
(1)A Coetzer (RSA) vs M Marrero (ESP)
(Q)J Salzenstein (USA) vs (2)N Massu (CHI)
Not before 8:00 PM
(6)G Gaudio (ARG) vs (WC)G Canas (ARG)

Court 1 – 3:00 PM
(5)(LL)J Schruff (GER) vs (6)E Gagliardi (SUI)
(4)Garcia/Prieto vs Fyrstenberg/Matkowski
Not before 6:00 PM
(Q)Marrero/Serra Zanetti vs (2)Gagliardi/Wartusch

Court 2 – 1:00 PM
(5)F Mantilla (ESP) vs F Verdasco (ESP)
Not before 3:00 PM
R Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) vs (4)M Zabaleta (ARG)
Pennetta/Tarabini vs Stewart/Stosur
(1)Bryan/Bryan vs Ferrer/Ramirez Hidalgo

Court 3 – 1:00 PM
K Koukalova (CZE) vs (3)M Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP)
(Q)I Benesova (CZE) vs (5)M Bartoli (FRA)
Levy/Volandri vs Blanco/Sanchez
(1)Bartoli/Loit vs Embry/Washington

Court 4 – 1:00 PM
(7)A Parra (ESP) vs F Pennetta (ITA)
Czink/Jidkova vs (4)McShea/Sequera
Carrasco/Mantilla vs Hernandez/Horna

ATP MEDIA NOTES - TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2004
MOYA JOINS ZABALETA, CANAS AND GAUDIO IN ROUND TWO

Top seed Carlos Moya was one of five Spanish winners on Tuesday at the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica MoviStar after defeating countryman David Sanchez 6-3, 6-3 in Acapulco.
Moya, the 2002 champion, extended his record in the tournament to 11-2 and is now 14-3 overall this year. The Spaniard, who currently lies in ninth position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race after winning the title in Chennai, will continue his bid to reach his fourth final of the year against French teenager Richard Gasquet in the second round.
Fourth seed Mariano Zabaleta recovered from the loss of the first set against Giovanni Lapentti before moving through to the second round of the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica MoviStar with a 6-7, 6-2, 6-3 victory. Zabaleta, who reached the final in Acapulco 12 months ago before losing to fellow Argentine Agustin Calleri, will now meet Spaniard Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo for a place in the quarterfinals.
Lapentti’s brother Nicolas also went out on day two after he lost 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 at the hands of qualifier Jeff Salzenstein. The lone American in the draw will now meet second seed Nicolas Massu in the second round.
Meanwhile, sixth seed Gaston Gaudio survived his all-Argentine first round clash against Jose Acasuso after coming through 6-7(2), 7-6(1), 6-1 and now meets another countryman in Guillermo Canas.
Gaudio and Acasuso were meeting for the third time in the last month, with Gaudio winning their second round encounter in Vina del Mar before Acasuso won their first round match in Buenos Aires. Gaudio also leads his head-to-head series against Canas, winning five of their previous seven matches. Canas, who received a wild card into the tournament having played only five tournaments last year following a right wrist injury, defeated Spanish qualifier Marc Lopez 4-6, 7-6(3), 7-5.
Elsewhere on Tuesday, Fernando Verdasco set up a second round clash against fellow Spaniard Felix Mantilla, the No. 5 seed, with a straight sets victory over German Tomas Behrend, while David Ferrer overcame Mexican wild card Miguel Gallardo Valles 6-2, 7-6 and will now meet No. 7 seed Juan Ignacio Chela.

WEDNESDAY PREVIEW

Four second round singles matches and one first round match set for Wednesday with defending champion Agustin Calleri of Argentina getting a late Wednesday start after playing in a rain-delayed final this past weekend in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil. Calleri faces Peru's Luis Horna, who he defeated in three-sets in the semifinals last Friday in Brazil. Calleri has never lost to Horna, though they have twice gone the full three-sets.
Elsewhere on Wednesday, countrymen Gaston Gaudio and Guillermo Canas face-off against each other in the featured night match, while No. 2 seed Nicolas Massu, who is currently No. 13 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking, but only 65th in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race looks to pick up some points this year and improve his position in the Race. He faces the lone American in the draw in qualifier Jeff Salzenstein.
Meanwhile, Mariano Zabaleta looks to make his third quarterfinal during the Latin American clay court swing as he faces Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo. Zabaleta reached quarterfinals in both Vina del Mar and Buenos Aires, but has yet to reach the semifinals this year.

CBodom
03-03-2004, 08:59 AM
man so many upsets @ dubai

sseemiller
03-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I know. I'm calling it the Upset Open so far. :lol: The biggest surprise for me today was that Rafael Nadal and Tommy Robredo beat Knowles and Nestor in doubles. Didn't expect that. :mrgreen: