BeachTennis
05-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Tennis Tips/Instruction
Give and Get tips/advice here..

Watch Boris in slow motion on clay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYc8LyLt_NQ

wyutani
05-21-2006, 06:09 AM
serve and volley on a clay court? i dun believe it mate'!! video quality aint that good. so which is boris? the one in the white?

nViATi
05-21-2006, 06:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that the guy with black shorts is Boris Becker.

Final_Match_Point
05-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I play on clay, and i have to tell you, its really hard to not use a western forehand. The ball bounds up above your head, and with the added spin of a clay court, its HEAVY. Of course, you can use old balls on a clay court and the bounces will stay low

Ash_Smith
05-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Clay Court Tennis:

Tactical:

Court Speed: Clay requires strength, power, endurance and above all patience.
Defence/Offence: Turning defence into attack is most important - see technical.
Court Geometry: Maintain perfect length, use all the court all the time. Learn to use angles.
Pace: Understand change of pace on clay - slice and moonball (see technical).
Surface: Learn to slide whislt maintaining balance (core stability)

Technical:

Shots used more on clay than other surfaces:
Slice BH down middle
Forehand squash shot (wide recovery ball)
Moon ball
Defensive high slice lob
Drop shot
Stop volley
Bounce smash
Behind the back BH slice

All add variety and the ability to turn defence into attack

Also, Inside/Out and Inside/In forehand to win. Short angle slice to negate Inside Out/In forehand.

Physical:

Core Stability
Footspeed
Endurance
Balance (esp' dynamic balance)

Mental:

Patience

All of the above should be taught at an early age to master playing on clay.

BeachTennis
05-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Thats BB and Stich !!

Rickson
05-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I play on clay, and i have to tell you, its really hard to not use a western forehand. The ball bounds up above your head, and with the added spin of a clay court, its HEAVY. Of course, you can use old balls on a clay court and the bounces will stay low
Balls bouncing higher on a clay court than on a hard court has been proven to be a myth. The balls bounce about the same height on hard and clay, but the balls bounce more vertically than horizontally on clay meaning that the balls won't zip by you like they do on grass. The almost completely vertical bounce makes the ball more retrievable for players thus giving clay a "slow court" label and also the illusion that balls bounce higher on clay than on hard courts when in fact they actually don't.

Mattle
05-22-2006, 01:36 AM

nono, it all depends. If you are hitting moderal top spin, flat shots etc. you need to get the initiative. Then it's not such a big problem. Im using normal grips, but doing okay on clay atm. Forcing my opponent to play hard and more flat tennis than all those moon balls

Andres
05-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Balls bouncing higher on a clay court than on a hard court has been proven to be a myth. The balls bounce about the same height on hard and clay, but the balls bounce more vertically than horizontally on clay meaning that the balls won't zip by you like they do on grass. The almost completely vertical bounce makes the ball more retrievable for players thus giving clay a "slow court" label and also the illusion that balls bounce higher on clay than on hard courts when in fact they actually don't.
Exactly. Now, to add spice to the myth, naturally, claycourters uses tons of topspin, plus the vertical bounce of the ball, the incoming shots seems to kick really up, and to be really heavy,

Wyutani: Check Stefan Edberg, pure S&V, who also served and volleyed all his way in clay.

sureshs
05-22-2006, 11:56 AM

The ball also loses much more speed on clay after bounce. For serves, it has been measured as 60% loss (wrt speed just off the racquet) vs 40% loss on hard courts.

devilish_duke
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Is there a difference between red clay and green clay?

Rickson
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Is there a difference between red clay and green clay?
Red clay is more like dirt and sand, and green clay is like one big slab of clay. Red is slightly easier to slide on than green although green is slideable and the red will get your shoes and socks messier than the green will.

BeachTennis
05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Who can tell me the last player to serve and volley and win the french?

lemmie
12-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Tony Roche 1966 ?

best from Neustadt, Stefan