PDA

View Full Version : No courts around what do i do ?

~RoWE~
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Is there any way to improve my game if i cant get to any courts or hitting walls ? There has to be something instead of sitting around being bored and getting rusty.

wyutani
05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
go jogging (increase stamina). push ups, (increase arm strength). sit-ups (for showing-off to ladies). pull-ups, (increase arm strength), watch tennis videos (learn skills and techniques from pro). read TW forum (cos the ppl here are funny!)

enuf mate'? i cant think of another...

~RoWE~
05-21-2006, 11:52 AM
go jogging (increase stamina). push ups, (increase arm strength). sit-ups (for showing-off to ladies). pull-ups, (increase arm strength), watch tennis videos (learn skills and techniques from pro). read TW forum (cos the ppl here are funny!)

enuf mate'? i cant think of another...

Thx but u got anything else i could do except workout and stuff cuz i already do that (maybe not the jogging and pull-ups).

wyutani
05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Thx but u got anything else i could do except workout and stuff cuz i already do that (maybe not the jogging and pull-ups).

oh geez~ if you dun have a gf, it does get boring. hhmmm...you watched prince of tennis? 179 episodes mate'...try going youtube, they have plenty there...:mrgreen:

Bungalo Bill
05-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Is there any way to improve my game if i cant get to any courts or hitting walls ? There has to be something instead of sitting around being bored and getting rusty.

Can you find a wall to hit against?

Saito
05-21-2006, 12:19 PM
If I can't get a chance to hit with anyone, I usually incorporate shadow boxing into tennis, hence 'shadow' tennis. I know it's not the same as hitting with someone, but if you feel like you're getting rusty at least keep your muscle memory up. I used to use my garage as a kid for a hitting wall (****ed off my mom, but I wanted to hit and had no courts/walls around like yourself). I also used to work on footwork in the driveway. I would just do the exercises I did at school such as lines at home.

xtremerunnerars
05-21-2006, 12:40 PM
sit-ups (for showing-off to ladies)

I really don't suggest doing situps. Most websites with decent sense about them will tell you the dangers. It's too easy to strain yourself doing them, and they don't really serve a purpose for anyone other than fighters and boxers. They overtighten the abs, making them really stiff, not necessarily defined.

Your other advice was sound though.

Hm...there are courts around my house..but on off days i'll hit against a wall. It stinks because it's on a slant and it's hard to get a rally going. I would imagine your local high school has a pretty large wall, maybe on weekends or days when school is out you could hit against that?

anonymous2364
05-21-2006, 12:47 PM
if i cant find a court i just get my personal slave to build me one in 2 minutes

Tennismastery
05-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Improve your understanding of the game by reading books, watching videos and matches, and reading about tennis at web sites such as www.tennisone.com and www.tennisplayer.net.

Shadow swing in front of a mirror and use something like a practice hit (www.practicehit.com) to groove desirable stroke patterns.

Hit on a wall when you can (but try to incorporate desirable swing patterns instead of just trying to 'hit' the ball at a spot on the wall)!

Do bounces, (ups, downs, alternates), using the continental grip to improve your familiarity with this grip (for serves and volleys), and practice 'catching' the ball. (Tossing it in the air and catching it on the strings like you would catch a water balloon or an egg without breaking it). Anything you can do to make your racquet become more familiar and part of your body, the better you will be able to adapt to balls on the court.

austro
05-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Try bouncing the ball on the side (frame) of your racquet. It will help improve your feeling for ball and racquet. You can do this at home. I can do about 12 times but that is nothing compared to someone who is really good at it.

J-man
05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Is there any way to improve my game if i cant get to any courts or hitting walls ? There has to be something instead of sitting around being bored and getting rusty.Come on you have to find a court;)

ta11geese3
05-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I really don't suggest doing situps. Most websites with decent sense about them will tell you the dangers. It's too easy to strain yourself doing them, and they don't really serve a purpose for anyone other than fighters and boxers. They overtighten the abs, making them really stiff, not necessarily defined.

REALLY... I've never heard that before. How come then gyms and stuff have all those situp thingies?

How do you recommend working on them then? Just with regular exercise and hoping they develop?

edit- no court? Play top spin on xbox, browse TW forums, watch POT, watch tennis matches, practice your ball toss, shadow tennis... although, I have to admit, none of those are as fun as real tennis =X

Woodstock_Tennis
05-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't agree to that sit up thing at all, abs are the core of the body.....

xtremerunnerars
05-22-2006, 02:47 AM
i never said they weren't important, i only said that it's not a good idea to do situps.

30 crunches (do this while watching like the tv guide channel or something, where you go up, hold it for 3 seconds, and then use the next second to go down, come up, etc.)
25 leg raises
30 crunches
3 minutes of bicycling (not on a bike, on the floor)

try that. Crunches have been proven to be much more effective than situps are. I guess situps work if you only have your hands on your chest, but otherwise you can strain your neck really easily; i did it to myself, and it wasn't exactly pleasant.

golden chicken
05-22-2006, 06:52 AM
practice your toss!!!

naturalgut
05-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Get a cricket stump and smack a golf ball against a wall to improve coordination - it worked for Don Bradman, even though he didn't play tennis :D

Bungalo Bill
05-22-2006, 08:35 AM
practice your toss!!!

lol, this is a great idea, but I have never heard anyone practicing their toss for very long. :) Eventually, it would be like Chinese Water Torture.

golden chicken
05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
lol, well i'm not advocating hour upon hour of practice every day!! i'm just saying like 5 minutes or less.

wyutani
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
geez~ just listen to my original advise...

MatchpointServe
05-23-2006, 03:46 PM
You call McGyver and have him build you a court in 14 seconds out of 3 toothpicks, a rubberband, and a cardboard box.