PDA

View Full Version : Balls

chiru
05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
i was just thinking about it. why dont players make a bigger deal abotu the difference in balls from tournament to tournament. I mean, doesn't that drive them insane? it would probably drive me insane, and their feel is probably much more sensitive than mine. Thin kof givng football players balls with slightly differerent weight every game they play, or basketball players, or soccer, and the list goes on. isn't that a little ridiculous, that players are jsut expected to deal with it?

Mr.Federer
05-21-2006, 02:05 PM
yup.......

peter
05-21-2006, 02:10 PM
i was just thinking about it. why dont players make a bigger deal abotu the difference in balls from tournament to tournament. I mean, doesn't that drive them insane? it would probably drive me insane, and their feel is probably much more sensitive than mine. Thin kof givng football players balls with slightly differerent weight every game they play, or basketball players, or soccer, and the list goes on. isn't that a little ridiculous, that players are jsut expected to deal with it?

Well... That's just what tennis is.

I mean, what's next if you standardize on just exactly one type of ball? All games must be played on exactly the same type of surface? At the same exact temperature? And air pressure? Oh - and let's not forget to standardize the rackets too! And the shoes! How could I forget them??? What more? Oh, and all matches must be played indoor! With the same type of lightning setup!

splink779
05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Without different balls, what would Roddick complain about?

fastdunn
05-21-2006, 02:44 PM
As I understand, Roddick is not only guy who compains about the
slightly bigger and heavier balls that current ATP tour uses....

About the original topic, I think the differences are still within
certain range. Sometimes, players complain if they are too different
from regular balls.

J-man
05-21-2006, 02:57 PM
When i first read the title i almost fell out of my:mrgreen: seat

Mr.Federer
05-21-2006, 04:22 PM
edit: 10 charac

sureshs
05-22-2006, 07:19 AM
That is a very concise title for the thread.

Eviscerator
05-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Well... Oh - and let's not forget to standardize the rackets too!

I'll tell you that they should have at least one tourney a year, if not a small series that had standardize racquets, kind of like IROC, and let the best man win. I'd pay money to see it.

BabolatFan
05-22-2006, 08:31 AM
LoL. I know. He'd probably ***** abt some flashy shiny badges or items coming off of the opposite side of his court...

Dunlopkid
05-22-2006, 12:12 PM

And Henman...

fastdunn
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
At one time in Australian Open(like about 10 years ago),
they used some new brand of balls (not Penn or Wilson...).
And almost all players complained. That's the last time I can recall
when lots of players complained about the ball a tournament
chose....

sureshs
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Maria complained that the balls used in a tournament last year caused her pectoral injury.

Ripper
05-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Roddick doesn't like playing with larger balls. Hummm. So, that what's going on with him?

Ash Doyle
05-23-2006, 05:32 AM
If you read the post match interviews, you'll find that pros complaining about heavy balls are a rather common complaint.

Rob_C
05-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Aren't all the TMS tournaments required to use the ATP Pro Penn balls?? And, I'm pretyy sure all the US Open series tournaments use the Wilson US Open balls, as does all of the USTA circuit tourneys. As far as European tournaments, I dont know.

fastdunn
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
If you read the post match interviews, you'll find that pros complaining about heavy balls are a rather common complaint.

Yeah, ATP started to use heavy balls from late 90's.
Now they reportedly use heavy AND slightly bigger balls
which are being complained by many players(especially
bigger power-players).

I don't think Roddick is only guy who complains about it.
Lots of power-players complain about it..