PDA

View Full Version : A good Hybrid?

Drizzt
07-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Im looking for a durable yet somewhat powerful hybrid. I was looking to get polyester mains something like Babolat Hurricane 17g, but I don't know what I should get for the crosses? Would the Polyester cut through Natural Gut? Also I dont think i want natural gut anyways cause of the price so should I get a Multifilament like NXT or Livewire?

Feel free to reccommend any other powerful yet durable hybrids.

Thanks for all replies.

Steve Huff
07-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd get a monofiliment. It won't fray. For a lot of the hybrids I do, I use either Gosen OG Micro 17 or Wilson Stamina 16. Both go well with a poly.

kreative
07-02-2004, 03:05 PM
what is the durability of a hybrid like that? eg. alu w/ syn gut mono crosses? i like the durability of a full alu job, but want to try hybridding to see how it feels.

bsandy
07-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Don't put Natural Gut in the crosses, unless you want to throw your money away. If you want to soften up the hurricane, just put any synth in. You won't know the dif.

OBTW . . . Natural Gut has a bad reputation. Natural Gut, if you keep it dry will last a long time. You can get two string jobs from Maines - Bow 16 (19.99 40ft) and cross - Ashaway Monogut ($3.99 poly), and you won't believe the power !!!

$23.98 / 2 per string job, and it will outlast, and be more powerfull than your Huricane.

. . . Bud

K. Wilson Moose
07-02-2004, 06:26 PM
andy,

Just curious. What advantage have you derived using Ashaway Monogut as a cross in a natural gut hybrid, as opposed to a solid core syn gut?

bsandy
07-02-2004, 08:32 PM
All I can say is you gotta try it. All the softness of the gut, with added controllable power. No mush without having to string the gut up to high tensions.

I'm saying, it's cheap to try !!!

. . . Bud

K. Wilson Moose
07-03-2004, 11:08 AM
All I can say is you gotta try it. All the softness of the gut, with added controllable power. No mush without having to string the gut up to high tensions.

I hear you about gut's power. It makes sense that the poly will mitigate some of the power and produce a firmer stringbed, which I favor BTW. I have a set of Bow gut and a set on Monogut. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Drizzt
07-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Ive decided that im going to have Hurricane 16g M and Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17g X.

Steve Huff
07-05-2004, 10:52 AM
What a waste of the Technifibre.