PDA

View Full Version : Spin serve tips

Juggurnaut
05-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I've seen spin serves where the you can actually see the ball drastically curve in midair. My trainer says that's just a spin serve where the player is hitting the ball very hard, but when I watch it happen, they don't hit it hard at all, it looks kind of effortless. How can I go about getting my spin serve like this (the reason I ask is that I want a good second serve).

Ruprecht
05-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello,

To Have A Perfect Slice Serve Use A Semi Western Grip. Toss Ball More Over Your Body Instead Of Out In Front And Hit It With Your Racket Face At The Angle You Want Your Ball To Spin. Example... Say Your Serving To The Left Service Box, Well Tilt Your Racket Face More Left And Dont Hit It Flat, Slice It. One More Tip Is, Once You Have Tossed The Ball Keep Your Eyes On It And Watch The Strings Make Contact With The Ball Before You Watch You Serve Clear The Net.

Cheers

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello,

To Have A Perfect Slice Serve Use A Semi Western Grip. Toss Ball More Over Your Body Instead Of Out In Front And Hit It With Your Racket Face At The Angle You Want Your Ball To Spin. Example... Say Your Serving To The Left Service Box, Well Tilt Your Racket Face More Left And Dont Hit It Flat, Slice It. One More Tip Is, Once You Have Tossed The Ball Keep Your Eyes On It And Watch The Strings Make Contact With The Ball Before You Watch You Serve Clear The Net.

CheersYour USTA rating is most likely a .0000001 (of course you probably wouldn't know, since you are French and are probably living in France rather than the USA). That is the DUMBEST tip I have ever read!!!! WTF would you recommend someone to be using a western grip for a serve? WTF is that all about? Go back to failed amateur tennis class!

Anyways Mr OP, use a ebh or continental grip for spin serves! You want to swing faster than you would for a 1st serve. That's how you get more spin and consistency. In order to make sure that that extra racquet headspeed doesn't translate into more ball pace, make sure that when you pronate the head into the ball, that you are brushing the ball more than you are hitting through it.

That's "better" advice! LMAO: Use a western grip to serve! Freakin idiot! :mrgreen:

theJuniorACE
05-21-2006, 06:47 PM
lol
bay of billionaires,
guess he should invest some of that money into a better coach

tennis_nerd22
05-21-2006, 06:50 PM
guys stop flaming the guy. he made a mistake, you pointed it out, he should probably review what he said and find out the right info, and you guys can all move on ok? :D

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 06:50 PM
lol
bay of billionaires,
guess he should invest some of that money into a better coachHaha. You're alright mate!

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh and Ruprecht, that was just my warm TW welcome to you. Haha, you should get used to that around here if you want to survive. :mrgreen:

Freedom
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Hello,

Cheers

Do not use a semi-western grip to serve. Ever.

Other than that, this is a pretty solid post. You really don't have to capitalize the first letter of each word though.

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Do not use a semi-western grip to serve. Ever.

Other than that, this is a pretty solid post. You really don't have to capitalize the first letter of each word though.Yes, I agree with the: "do not ever use a western for serves" part, but why do you have to just sugar-coat things with the: "other than that, that is a pretty good post" BS? Just tell it like it is. It's crap. :mrgreen:

If you were to take away the western grip part in that guy's post, the rest is still BS advice. Okay, he had a good point about not taking your eyes off the ball before it clears the net. I'll give him an "A" for effort. :mrgreen:

ta11geese3
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
That's odd. I wouldn't expect someone who knew what a semi western was to recommend one for serving...

jeebeesus
05-21-2006, 07:38 PM
I've seen spin serves where the you can actually see the ball drastically curve in midair. My trainer says that's just a spin serve where the player is hitting the ball very hard, but when I watch it happen, they don't hit it hard at all, it looks kind of effortless. How can I go about getting my spin serve like this (the reason I ask is that I want a good second serve).

u are right about the speed of the swing. remember u are creating spin, so try to brush every string across the ball .

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
That's odd. I wouldn't expect someone who knew what a semi western was to recommend one for serving...How's that odd? Lots of old guys and amateurs with dink serves use westerm and semiwestern grips.

Freedom
05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
But it's bad form, and it has to hurt your wrist pretty bad.

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 07:58 PM
But it's bad form, and it has to hurt your wrist pretty bad.What??? Duh it's bad form! I never sugeested to use those grips! I said to use the ebh or cont.

Haven't you noticed me bashing that French guy for recommending the semi western grip???

Where have you been??? All I was saying to Tallgeese was: "why is it that he finds it odd that someone (such as that guy that I bashed) give suggest using a semi western?"

What I was saying was: It is not odd that a lot of people have no idea what they are talking about, doing, and what the PROS are doing.

C'mon man! Get it straight! :mrgreen: