PDA

View Full Version : French Open - Women's Singles - Can Hingis Do It?!!

MikeMcKenzie
05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Look, this is the story of the women's draw. Nothing else matters. Can Hingis win this thing? The Italian was a good sign and a good test for her. She definitely didn't play the strongest players this past week but she did get through some tough matches and got the win.

There is no other big story in the women's draw right now. Clijsters and Henin are probably the favorites. Mauresmo will crack no doubt. If Hingis can get through to the quarters and play a Mauresmo, Sharapova, or a Venus she could really make it to the semis. At that point its a toss up especially against Henin or Clijsters who, in my opinion, look at Hingis and think easy win.

Max G.
05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, I think it's possible.

She's not one of the favorites.

I think Henin and Clijsters would beat her if she faced them. One of the Willams sisters, if they have a good day, could also beat her no matter how well Hingis played. (But their good days are few and far in between). Mauresmo could too, but she always chokes at the French.

But she's certainly in the fray. I would guess she believes that she can win it, and with a little bit of good play at the right times it's possible.

Hey, there was a Dementieva-Myskina final here a couple of years back, and Hingis can certainly do better than Dementieva or Myskina!

theace21
05-21-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't think she can win it, but I hope she can make a great run in the tournament. We will she how fit she is! Good Luck Hingis!!!

J-man
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
It's possible/ But this year I think the Farthest she will get is rd 16 or 4. But if the draw is good and she plays good she could good deeper

Defcon
05-21-2006, 05:39 PM
The thing about Hingis is she never loses to player she's supposed to beat, and she never loses to herself, if you know what I mean.

She's sure to go deep into the 2nd week, and if she gets a good draw, who knows, good things might happen :)

Dream final for me would be Hingis vs Henin - the two most talented (and my favorite) players in the WTA. I'd be happy if either won, since the rest of the tour is pretty much 1-dimensional.

lacoster
05-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, I think it's possible.

Hey, there was a Dementieva-Myskina final here a couple of years back, and Hingis can certainly do better than Dementieva or Myskina!

She was quoted as saying that she came back because she was seeing "marginal players" like Myskina and Kuznetsova winning Grand Slams and Dementieva consistently going deep in Majors. The Williams sisters have lost motivation and the Belgians are ubiquitously getting injured so...this would be a fairy tale for her to sneak in and win Roland Garros.
________
Mexico city hotels (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

superman1
05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
She's a top 5 contender for all of the Slams, but definitely not the favorite. If she wasn't willing to settle for a dinky serve, she would be one of the favorites.

arosen
05-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Clay is her best chance, she is really good at constructing points. Heck, if Myskina can win it, so can Hingis. Martina has some nasty memories from FO, though.

nViATi
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
The thing about Hingis is she never loses to player she's supposed to beat, and she never loses to herself, if you know what I mean.

She's sure to go deep into the 2nd week, and if she gets a good draw, who knows, good things might happen :)

Dream final for me would be Hingis vs Henin - the two most talented (and my favorite) players in the WTA. I'd be happy if either won, since the rest of the tour is pretty much 1-dimensional.
I agree. Other than Hingis and Henin, I don't watch WTA tennis at all.

sandiegotennisboy
05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
the french hate hingis...you know (that unforgettable graf incident, they dont know how to forgive)....

hopefully though, she can get a win there. that would be fantastic to watch. i hate hardenne. she is a sorry excuse for a "professional player" with her tummy ache in the AO. i guess i cant forgive her for that.

superman1
05-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't forgive her for that either. For a male player to be in a Grand Slam final, he'd have to be near dead to give it up. Even if he was vomiting all over the court, he'd still continue playing. That's what they work for. I guess for the top women, they know they'll probably be in 10 more finals since there's no one really to challenge them. A minor stomach ache is enough to call it quits. Wouldn't want to endanger your health! I've heard of many normal people getting major injuries as a result of not resting a stomach ache. The abdominal wall could conceivably burst open and the intestines could spill out and trip your feet causing you to seriously injure your ankle.

Venus06
05-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Henin-Hardenne is a dirty cheat.

I cant stand her. She gave Amelie Mauresmo the title at the AO this year. I know who will win the French - Venus of course.

She knows what she has to do to win, Serena is not around and no one poses a real threat to her - bring your jokes about the AO and last years French all you want but the past is the past and i know Venus has the game to beat any player on the tour. Even when it may not be her day.

Hingis may get far - but she'll choke. And with that serve she stands no chance. Dirty cheating Justine is an obvious favourite, Amelie's got no hope and that leaves Kuznetsova, Petrova and the underdogs like Safina, Demtieva, Schnyder etc.

None of these will win though - coz Venus will. :D

Oricus
05-22-2006, 05:33 AM
I'll take that as sarcasm

baseliner
05-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Hingis is a definite QF and possible SF at RG. To win all the breaks need to go her way. May be Clijsters tourney to win. If the 2 Belgians break down health wise Hingis could slip in. Don't see either Williams sister as a threat to win.

Moose Malloy
05-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Hingis is currently ranked 14. Unless there are withdrawls she'll be seeded 14.
So her 4th round opponent will be a top 5 player-Mauresmo, Clijsters, Petrova, Sharapova, Henin.
QF could be Pierce or Dementieva.
Could be a really tall order just to make the semis.

ACE of Hearts
05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Would love too see Mauresmo win it but it will probably be Henin-Hardenne.