PDA

View Full Version : Help: Leather Grip Durability

meh
05-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Sorry for posting in the Racquets forum, but I'll probably get more responses here than in "Other Equipment."

I need some advice regarding the durability of leather. I use bare leather on all of my racquets. However, I grip the racquet somewhat low, and I wear through the leather grip covering the very bottom edges of the buttcap very quickly; I go through the bottom of the leather in about 2 weeks. The rest of the grip is perfect, and I realize that leather should be very durable. Replacing leather grips often is cost-prohibitive...so can anybody offer a solution to save my leathers from undue wear and tear?

kabob
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
You're gonna hate hearing this, but the only thing you can do is to use an overgrip. Just use the thinnest possible. I use Tournagrip over my Wilson leather on all my racquets. It only degrades the feel slightly since Tournagrip isn't overtly thick but the leather lasts so much longer.

Alexandros
05-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Indeed, there is nothing you can really do but buy overgrips. Babolat's VS grip is exceptionally thin and don't affect the feel too much.

diredesire
05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Moved to other equipment. This question doesn't seem more pressing than others that are in other equipment, what makes yours deserve more exposure? Lets keep things in their respective folders...

kabob
05-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Also consider what I do when I'm being cheap: If you cut the leather precisely at the top of the grip before gumming it down with the provided sticker, you can also flip it upside down and regrip using the unused portion of the leather. Voila, you've just doubled its life.

woody6.1
05-25-2006, 06:51 AM
use wilson pro overgrip over that leather. it SHOULD feel great .