PDA

View Full Version : Must see slow motion of roger

BeachTennis
05-22-2006, 04:02 AM
This is great super slow motion of roger! Look at that racket tweek at contact!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3auwuvJNk

BeachTennis
05-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Copy this serve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGAurQTPFa0

wyutani
05-22-2006, 04:15 AM
you know, this videos aint useful if im a lefty, the motion is completely different...any of goran ivanesevic??

BeachTennis
05-22-2006, 04:30 AM
you know, this videos aint useful if im a lefty, the motion is completely different...any of goran ivanesevic??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R7q79vJ0Vg

dmvprof
05-22-2006, 04:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R7q79vJ0Vg

You know, I forgot how much I loved Goran, and how much I enjoyed that match until I saw that.

Until I watched that Federer SloMo, I didn't realize how much a raquet flexes. It looks like a rubber band in those videos.

Wyutani, watch the Federer Videos in a mirror. ;)

Might be hard to watch, but he'd look like a lefty.

kevhen
05-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Awesome videos! Very closed face on those modern forehands. Sweet!

Noveson
05-22-2006, 06:50 PM
wow...........

Bungalo Bill
05-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Well, I guess I will wait for a "thank you" from you, once you acknowledge the wrist release! LOL

Freedom
05-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Dude it's kinda gross how in slow motion, you see see their legs jiggle.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Yea its beautiful...almost made me cry man....

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Dude it's kinda gross how in slow motion, you see see their legs jiggle.

Only someone like you would notice that kind of stut dude :confused:

DRtenniS1112
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
No way man there was a closeup and his calf looked messed. It was crazy.

Bungalo Bill
05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
No way man there was a closeup and his calf looked messed. It was crazy.

As much as that guy produces topspin, notice how short the ball is on the strings and how straight his racquet path is into the ball.

This supports EASI's instruction that POWER = CLEAN CONTACT AND LINEAR PATH.

raftermania
05-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Wyutani, you don't have to be a righty to learn from them. I'm a lefty too and have learned a lot from watching great right-handed players.

geesechops
05-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I like the slice from the shoulder. He almost hits the frame though.

Mladen
05-22-2006, 11:29 PM

You can use 'horizontal mirror' efect in video edit programs like Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows XP) to 'convert' lefthanded player to righthanded and vice versa.

Righthanded Nadal: http://free-zg.t-com.hr/mladen/nadal.wmv

Bungalo Bill
05-23-2006, 06:42 AM
You can use 'horizontal mirror' efect in video edit programs like Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows XP) to 'convert' lefthanded player to righthanded and vice versa.

Righthanded Nadal: http://free-zg.t-com.hr/mladen/nadal.wmv

I believe that is at real speed? The guy has incredible racquet head speed doesnt he? Just insane. I have no clue how he can still control the ball.

Mladen
05-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I believe that is at real speed? The guy has incredible racquet head speed doesnt he? Just insane. I have no clue how he can still control the ball.

This IS Nadal. In young days, and in mirrored video.

predrag
05-24-2006, 06:28 AM

Is there a way to download this?

Regards, Predrag

safin_protege
05-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Excellent video: thanks.

BeachTennis
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I guess I will wait for a "thank you" from you, once you acknowledge the wrist release! LOL

There is no thank you coming!!

There is way to much junk going on in those clips of roger!

One shot his gip twist to a full western!

One shot the racket face shutters down at impact and there is one where the face opens up!!

Look at the other clips from that slow motion down under and you will see very little if any racket trembeling

I don t see this wrist release that you speak so much about!

I do know in the modern game there are alot of players with hurt wrist!

Far as the oscar guy or the easi people!!

there is no comparison to who is a better coach!

OW wins hands down!!

mclee025
05-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Nice clips. From what I see, it looks like Roger's racquet face is closed (facing downward) when contacting the ball on a lot of those forehands? I always thought that this type of action would drive the ball downward (like into the bottom of the net). Am I seeing things right? If yes, would someone care to explain what is physically happening? Thanks.

dannyjjang
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
..hm..fed doesn't even open his mouth..why is that!?

kevhen
05-25-2006, 11:44 AM
The ball gets imbedded into the strings and is propelled forward by the motion of the swing, not by the angle of the racquet face, which is only imparting extra topspin.

We discussed this several months back and now we have visual proof. Thanks, Beach Tennis.

Fatmike
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
lookat how he is always watching the ball

Jon Terminator
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Is there a way to download this?

Regards, Predrag

http://keepvid.com/

mclee025
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
The ball gets imbedded into the strings and is propelled forward by the motion of the swing, not by the angle of the racquet face, which is only imparting extra topspin.

We discussed this several months back and now we have visual proof. Thanks, Beach Tennis.

Thanks for the explanation Kevhen. I guess that blows another one of those "truths" I've had.

Do a lot of other tennis players have techniques like that and hit with a racquet face facing downward?

Bungalo Bill
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
There is no thank you coming!!

There is way to much junk going on in those clips of roger!

LOL, okay, whatever you say.

BeachTennis
05-29-2006, 05:03 PM
LOL, okay, whatever you say.

I see the wrist doing some cool stuff for roger!

Heck I play some crazy shots with the wrist.

The thing is that the wrist will allow the player to make the shot when its 911 time!

Sure I teach some wax on wax off stuff , but i work on a fixed wrist poition with a good grip > I like grip 3 -3 1/2 . Think the problem in todays junior game is that way to much whip and wrist is being taught.

I still see so many of the top players in the world hitting with firm -solid linkage in the position of the wrist.

Its much more a style of relaxtion of the forarm and elbow.

Sure we are going to see alot of jiggy wrist action on many shots, but we are olso going to see many fixed firm wrist hitting up and out .

wow here come the new thread.

To helicopter or Not!

Maraia and Raffe flinging it over the head all the time !

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
[quote=BeachTennis]I see the wrist doing some cool stuff for roger!quote]

Good! Now go back and study my posts and learn how the wrist plays a role in the modern forehand!

Just learn the mechanics of it and study more film! It plays a key role in normal forehand shots!

tlm
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I do not see him driving through the ball,it looks like right at contact,or right after he is pulling up + to the side.

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I do not see him driving through the ball,it looks like right at contact,or right after he is pulling up + to the side.

tlm, you aren't being serious are you? I mean are you seeing the same thing, right?

In the first shot, he guides the butt cap forward and lets natural motion bring the head of the racquet around. Naturally the butt of the racquet will shoot in a diagnol fashion across the body! Is this what you are talking about?

If you are, try looking at Nck B.'s videos, Pat Dougherty already notes how this happens. My only emphasis is ensuring the shoulder is the main muscle involved in doing this and not the elbow area.

tlm
05-29-2006, 07:46 PM
BB,i agree the racquet butt comes forward+the head comes around.

What i am saying is right at contact i do not see racquet continue forward, it seems there is no going through the ball with follow through towards net.

It looks like it goes up+to his left right after contact.He is driving into the ball before contact,but does not continue after.

TennsDog
05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Tim, "driving through" the shot is a relative term much like hitting a "flat shot." No one hits the ball with the racket head going linearly both before and after contact any more than anyone hits shots with no spin. If you were to compare these videos with someone else who hits loads of wristy topspin like Nadal or Roddick, you would see the difference. Federer's racket head follows a much more straight angle through contact than either of the two previously mentioned. The upward motion of the head is what gives topspin and lift to get the ball over the net and back into the court. Like Bill said, there is a natrual motion (especially when hitting in front of the body) of the racket head to continue on a curved path (notice your arm forms the radius of a circle) since that is the only direction it can go at that point. When you make contact with a straight arm and in front, it has to wrap back around, there is no way for the racket to continue in a straight line forward -- you're arm reach is maxed out. Hope this made sense.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
TennisDog,

I agree with your observations about Federer's ability to generate a long, linear swing path but would add that Roger's got incredible diversity and can break off the swing path a lot sooner than that.

Also, I disagree with you that Roddick and Nadal Have "wristy" strokes. They can drive through the ball like Roger or break it off like Roger. Maybe not to the same extreme extents that Roger can but that doesn't mean they are "wristy".

tlm
05-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Tennisdog,i do notice that his arm reach does seem to be maxed out.So what your saying makes sense.

I thought driving through the ball meant to continue going forward after contact.

HyperHorse
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the videos.
Notice how still Federer's elbow stays thru the shot.

Bungalo Bill
05-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the videos.
Notice how still Federer's elbow stays thru the shot.

GREAT READ!!!!! EXTENSION!

Rickson
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Must see slow motion of roger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3auwuvJNk
Must go to bathroom. Must have been the chicken. Must see French Open later on ESPN 2.

TennsDog
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
DoubleHanded, yes, I do not argue with the diversity of all three players. Perhaps saying "wristy" in general was not quite right, but they are no doubt more wristy than Federer, generating more topspin by way of arm than racket head path. Also, my comments on the strokes were meant to pertain to general shot-making tendancies. Indeed, all three can flatten it out or dip it short with topspin, but the differences in the general rally shots are apparent.
(Sorry if this was a rebuttal, just wanted to clarify.)

John89
06-01-2006, 06:47 PM
wat kind of grip does roger have?

cervelo
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Forgetting the elbow-wrist-extension issue for a second ...

In that video, the first thing I see is absolutely PERFECT BALANCE ...

I think Roger Federer could walk a tight rope made of fishing line ...

How many of us are off balance and still more worried about trying to get our racquet extension just right with our shoulder turn, etc.? Federer's stroke is anchored by his incredible sense of balance!!!

As players, it's much tougher to get those wrist elbow and shoulder issues completely worked out when our foundation isn't perfectly set ...

Talk about awesome footwork, I can't find a milli-second when Federer's center of gravity is off ...

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Forgetting the elbow-wrist-extension issue for a second ...

In that video, the first thing I see is absolutely PERFECT BALANCE ...

I think Roger Federer could walk a tight rope made of fishing line ...

How many of us are off balance and still more worried about trying to get our racquet extension just right with our shoulder turn, etc.? Federer's stroke is anchored by his incredible sense of balance!!!

As players, it's much tougher to get those wrist elbow and shoulder issues completely worked out when our foundation isn't perfectly set ...

Talk about awesome footwork, I can't find a milli-second when Federer's center of gravity is off ...

Balance and footwork, you got that right.