PDA

View Full Version : Going to the French Open

melzer federer
05-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Hope all are well.
This Friday I am going to Paris, so I can attend the French Open on Monday.
I have a grounds pass.

Has anyone been? What should I expect? I have only been to a few small tournaments, and am very excited.

Any input would be nice.

flymeng
05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Hope all are well.
I have a grounds pass.

Has anyone been? What should I expect? I have only been to a few small tournaments, and am very excited.

Any input would be nice.

It is a nice place. Bring a sweater and sun glasses. You may need to wear shades when the wind blows the red clay around.

Learn some French inorder to get by. Most French can't or refuse to speak English.

Things can get expensive. Be prepared to spend money on food, drinks and souvenirs.

ACE of Hearts
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Maybe u will run into Laetitia Casta:p

vive le beau jeu !
05-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Hope all are well.
I have a grounds pass.

Any input would be nice.

i went there in 2004... it was great ! :D
but you had to be patient for reaching some courts... there were a lot of ppl !
if i have an advice it would be : come early !

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=100509

PS: if you have only a pass for small courts... in the end of the day, try to catch the ppl that are leaving the main courts (use your gf if you have one, it works better ! :rolleyes: )... maybe they will give you their tickets and maybe you will see the end of a match on a main court !
(i saw the end of the 5th set between safin and starace like this)

arosen
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Melzer, whatever happens keep in mind you are a lucky dog, you. Get us some video or pics.

lucky leprechaun
05-22-2006, 07:04 PM

I only went to qualifying which was the best! You get the run of the place, and can just hang on the fence while the match goes on and grab a few out balls over the fence. I caught a few jose acasuso out balls who was real skinny back then. Also got to see all the stars come out to practice and you get to hang on the fence and watch them too. Was very exciting.

chrisab508
05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Most French can't or refuse to speak English.

Erroneous. Many, I repeat, many french people speak english, and many will be pleased to speak english. If you examine the caliber of people that frequent such an event as Roland Garros, you will find that a lot of them do in fact speak english, and there aren't many who refuse to speak it.

Jonas
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Awesome! Take some good pics and post them here..
Bon Voyage Monsieur?

Jonas
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
duplicate post...excuse moi? Allez!

flymeng
05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Erroneous. Many, I repeat, many french people speak english, and many will be pleased to speak english. If you examine the caliber of people that frequent such an event as Roland Garros, you will find that a lot of them do in fact speak english, and there aren't many who refuse to speak it.

I was there during the mid 1990s. Many refused or spoke little English in Paris. I had trouble at the subway, restaurants and shops. As for RG, I didn't talk much except to buy food and souvenirs. I had less language problems in Holland, Germany and Switzerland.

devilish_duke
05-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Actually, i learned that the French would rather speak English because they hate it when their language gets butchered (no joke).

By the way melzer federer, how/where did you get your grounds pass and for how many days?

melzer federer
05-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys. I got tickets for Monday and Tuesday. I am very lucky
because my brother lives in Paris, and he arranged them. It is a chance of a
life time (at least for me).

While the trip will be exciting, I hope that I can see Melzer play.
I plan to take some neat pictures, so maybe I can post them. At least I will have some neat stories (I hope!)

chrisab508
05-23-2006, 07:27 AM
I was there during the mid 1990s. Many refused or spoke little English in Paris. I had trouble at the subway, restaurants and shops. As for RG, I didn't talk much except to buy food and souvenirs. I had less language problems in Holland, Germany and Switzerland.

Hmmm, that's actually very interesting. I lived there from 1993-2003 and I didn't always find the same problems. Granted the majority of my time was spent in the capital, Paris, and not elsewhere. I wouldn't say that I found it easier in Holland, Germany, and Switzerland, but I would agree that many people there are also extremely willing to speak english/know english.

panic
05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
I have been in France, not in Paris, I was travelling around. The French are proud about their language and quite many speak Enlgish, but I saw it several times - people just refuse to talk in English.

arosen
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, a couple of times in France I felt ****ed that people in a store would refuse to speak english to me, French can be really arrogant that way. I spoke Spanish to them, I donno French, I wish I did.