PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young's taking our advice

simi
05-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Looks like Donald Young's handling team is listening to us. More than one person here said that he should play some Futures. He did last week, in Orange Park, FL, on clay. There were 8 seeds in a 32 draw and a 128 qualifier draw. Young was the eight seed.

First round, Donald Young defeated qualifier Daniel Wendler of Australia by a score of 7-6(4), 6-4. He lost his second round match to qualifier Michael Shabaz of the U.S. by a score of 6-3, 7-5.

ACE of Hearts
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Too much hype, i think he will be a top 50 player nothing more.I hope of course i am wrong.

norcal
05-22-2006, 09:56 AM
He didn't take our advice - I saw a thread stating he should retire!

jackson vile
05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Well he is getting old... j/k

He will be around a top 10 and up in the some time away, he will work for it, but really I don't see any special talent or anything, but he has the desire and that will take him far with time to come.

That is if he doesn't retire soon:mrgreen:

pound cat
05-22-2006, 12:32 PM

LOL Agassi no doubt has read this mb for years and he's never taken any advice for him to retire..nor has Sampras paid attention to any advice for him to come back on the tour.

Might lead you to think that everything here is a lot of hot air & not paid attention to by anyone of any importance ROTFL.

jhhachamp
05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
That is a bad loss, he should not be losing to Shabaz. From his results it does not seem like he has improved at all in a couple years. If this trend continues he will never break the top 100.

brucie
05-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Doesnt he need to gain muscle and strength really hes only 16 you cant expect too much till hes at least 18 i think hes doing great at the moment

J-man
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Well we have to give him some credit. At least he playing futures. PLus he's young

Jonas
05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
That is a bad loss, he should not be losing to Shabaz. From his results it does not seem like he has improved at all in a couple years. If this trend continues he will never break the top 100.

Are you kidding? Shabaz is VERY good and has a lot of experiance on the futures circuit. I saw him take Eric Taino deep into the third set and lose a thriller about a month ago. Shabaz is also 19 or 20 if I am not mistaken. Taino is seeded #1 in most of the Futures events that he enters.
Even these guys have massive holes in their games. DY has a complete game even now at a very young age. He ONLY lacks power and a big weapon and more than likely that will come.

ibemadskillzz
05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
of course michael beat him, that's my boy right there.

Rob_C
05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Looks like Donald Young's handling team is listening to us. More than one person here said that he should play some Futures. He did last week, in Orange Park, FL, on clay. There were 8 seeds in a 32 draw and a 128 qualifier draw. Young was the eight seed.

First round, Donald Young defeated qualifier Daniel Wendler of Australia by a score of 7-6(4), 6-4. He lost his second round match to qualifier Michael Shabaz of the U.S. by a score of 6-3, 7-5.

He's been playing Futures all year, he's played all but one of the US Futures this year.

J-man
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
But that's been overshadowed by the fact that Youngs been taking a few wildcards and losing pretty early. All that can confuse people

arosen
05-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Young needs some muscle, time to go talk to some "vitamin" people.

J-man
05-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Not healthy. He's probably already getting in the gym. He shouldn't be overworking out yet I hope. When he's about 18 that's when he should be visting the gym more and more often

quest01
05-22-2006, 06:39 PM

I dont think Young should retire. He should think about going into an easier career path, maybe becoming a doctor or a lawyer, or possibly a college professor. Becoming a tennis pro or any pro athlete is much harder then becoming a doctor. There are much more doctors then professional athletes out there.

tennis_nerd22
05-22-2006, 06:43 PM

lmao gotta love those "so and so should retire" threads. wyutani should probably retire from the professional tennis forum postings tour... according to BB and andres :mrgreen:

Freedom
05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Lol you're right. He's only been playing tennis for 13 years. He should drop it and become a doctor.

tennis_nerd22
05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Lol you're right. He's only been playing tennis for 13 years. He should drop it and become a doctor.

haha, well then i still have a another 11 years :) till i go to medical school in that case... ah at least ill be like 25

TXKiteboarder
05-22-2006, 06:56 PM
ARod is in the downturn;
Blake's consistency will keep him to top,

But, we need another american ATP/WTA "smarty pant"... where is he/she?

much as I love tennis, If I had a kid, I would convince them to fall into golf route. You make alot more money and not prone to disasterous injuries... my $0.02

superman1
05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I dont think Young should retire. He should think about going into an easier career path, maybe becoming a doctor or a lawyer, or possibly a college professor. Becoming a tennis pro or any pro athlete is much harder then becoming a doctor. There are much more doctors then professional athletes out there.

I think it's a hell of a lot harder to become a doctor than to become a fourth-rate tennis player. There are more doctors because it's a safer career choice, and one that the parents approve of. And becoming a college professor? Jesus Christ, I think that's quite a bit tougher than hitting balls around.

tennus
05-22-2006, 07:17 PM

The 24yr old Aussie he beat is 24 in Australia and 790 ATP. Donald Young is exactly that...........very young. USA, like Australia are desperate for someone to charge onto the scene. If Young came from a non tennis country he wouldn't be faced with such unrealistic expectations. People just expect that because he is a top junior he's top ten ATP material. Check out some of the junior names from a few years back. How many are now serious players ? As others have already mentioned, becoming a professional sports anything is difficult. Tennis is one of the most difficult. :)

Tennis_Goodness
05-22-2006, 07:32 PM
He's not taking your guys advice, you guys aren't that important lmao!

BabolatFan
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
OK, does he really have the potential to become a rising star like other american players such as ginepri? Other than his little wildcard highlight at US open? is his game big enough? I haven't been seeing him play and I know he hasn't won any itf future titles yet. If he decides to continue on the tour, he'd better step it up and get with his Will Power.

Kobble
05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
If Valenti takes him out, he should retire.

marc
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
whoever loses to johnny blaze should just quit tennis. period. DYoung included.