PDA

View Full Version : Hingis Wins WTA Touranament, will she win another Slam?

Pancho
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Now that Martina has won her first WTA touranment since retiring. Do you think she will win another grand slam?

She is currently #14 in the world.

IMO: Because Williams sisters, Davenport, Mauresemo, Clijisters, Henon-Hardnenne are not as great/good as before, I think Hingis will reach #1 this year and win a grand slam or 2 or even 3. She may even win French Open. At the rate she is going, she may stil be playing at 50 years old because she plays a finese game not the power game, unlike the Williams or Davenport. Martina is doing what Agassi did - a HUGE comeback. She is lucky because the other women do not play as well as her. It will take a new hot shot girl to derail her but I doubt it'll happen. Hingis is going to be around for a long long time. Besides, she already won Australian Open mixed doubles and she's vieing for all the singles grand slam.

wyutani
05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
hmmm...maybe not yet, she still need more time. and seriosuly, c'mon, she beat safina??? lolz, safina aint exactly top 5 material...

chess9
05-22-2006, 12:11 PM
She's too far behind to make number 1 this year unless the top ten suffer some serious injuries.

I'd suggest she learn some training tips from Stepanek (I can't stand him, but....) Like maybe getting stronger. If she could hit a serve over 10 mph, that would be a start.

I like Hingis because she's a smart player, but she can use a lot more power and if she's going to take a page from Agassi, that means LIFTING.

-Robert

WayneCM
05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
martina will finish the year inside the top ten if she stays injury free.... A slam maybe not this year but if she can improve her 1st and 2nd serve who knows... Go Martina!

prestige18
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
i think martina has the best chance of winning the french of all the slams, first of all she wants it because she ahs never won it and second of all she just won a big clay title. but the other contenders are petrova and the rest of the top ten players because no one else can win things in the wta

federerhoogenbandfan
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I think this could be her year at the French. I really hope it is. It would be long overdue. I dont think she can win Wimbledon, she will be outgunned in one of the later rounds, however her ability to play at the net could give her a shot at proving me wrong there, Mauresmo after all could have been in the last 2 Wimbledon finals with a bit more mental resolve, and mostly for her ability to play at the net, certainly not her power or even overwhelming athleticsm compared to other top women today. The U.S Open she has a chance, that will be the toughest slam for everybody though because it will have the most contenders.

araghava
05-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think ability to play at net gives you much of an advantage at wimbledon anymore. From what i've read, the court basically plays like a slow hardcourt. It's not fast, the ball doesn't skid like it used to and there is an even bounce. This allows a player to set up and fire from the baseline.

FEDEXP
05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok Martina won; the run up to this was a never-ending storyline on E$SPN. I suppose she could win the French but, having seen her at the AO, christ she has a lousy second serve.

lucky leprechaun
05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
She won't win another Slam, the 2nd serve is too much of a weakness. And she's played long enough now in the comeback that I don't see she can upgrade it.

superman1
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
The form on her serve is all wrong, she doesn't even get her body into it. I don't see why it's so difficult to improve for someone with as many connections as she has. She could hire the best serving coach in the world.

I think she's a major contender for the French, especially with the confidence of winning the Rome title. Plus she just got the Laureus comeback award, so she's got to be feeling good.

Max G.
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't think she can upgrade it.
The best serving coach in the world can't fix the fact that if this is the way she's been hitting the stroke for 15 years now. Trying to rework it completely is liable to screw it up more instead of improving it. And small fixes won't help, I think.

That said, I think she's a contender even with the weak serve.

If Myskina, Dementieva, and Kuznetsova could get to Slam finals, so can Martina; she does, however, need the same luck that those gals got in the rest of the field imploding on themselves. (And it's kind of happening. Check out Clijsters and Henin recently - they're as liable to lose early as they are to make a final. Williams Sisters are MIA. Mauresmo's still a choker, though she's playing well.)

Pancho
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
mmm, I think Hingis wil surprise everyone with a French Open singles title to complete a grand slam. This will be the biggest story of the year and a possible Hollywood movie too! Who knows?

She may even surpass Navaratilova and even playing at 50 years old. Because she has a finesse game - she can play that at any age and still win big! Others like Davenport and Williams sisters will be retiring soon. Besides, the older you get the lighter the power. However, Hingis will still have her finesse game at any age.

I just hope Hingis won't get booed at FO and I hope she won't serve underhanded and no temper tantrums.

Tchocky
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Uh...no. Why does everyone get so excited when one of their favorite players wins a big match or a tournament? Hingis has a long way to go before she is in contention for any future majors.

johnkidd
05-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I think the reason she could have a chance at the French is because all the other top women are either injured or head cases. As for her second serve, I'd take it over Demetiava's.

monologuist
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Uh...no. Why does everyone get so excited when one of their favorite players wins a big match or a tournament? Hingis has a long way to go before she is in contention for any future majors.

err....is that why she already made the quarterfinals of this year's Australian Open? I guess that doesn't count as "contending", lol?....

this in only her first slam appearance after 4 years of reitrement? yeah, that sure looks like she's got a "long way to go before she is contention for any future majors".

agreed that there's no reason why she couldn't contend for the French....her consistency day in and day out as well as from point to point and shot to shot is at such a higher level than 99% of the rest of the field; RG is maybe her best bet at this point.

sureshs
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
She has a less powerful serve and forehand than some of the other women - Dinara's forehands were shooting past her in the Italian final. But her overall consistency and her backhand is better than many others.

Michael Haller
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
mmm, I think Hingis wil surprise everyone with a French Open singles title to complete a grand slam. ...

She will have to win AO, FO, Wimbledon and USO in the same year to complete the grand slam.

laurie
05-24-2006, 02:58 AM
She can win a slam. Why not? Myskina won one.

superman1
05-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Anything can happen in women's tennis. The draw can open up if someone gets a tummy ache or a broken fingernail. Hingis is one of the top contenders because she's so consistent and is almost a lock for the second week. Whereas Clijsters, Henin, etc are all fickle and might decide that they're "not at 100%" so they can't play.

Shabazza
05-24-2006, 04:52 AM
She will have to win AO, FO, Wimbledon and USO in the same year to complete the grand slam.
You know that he means a career Grand Slam (like Agassi) and not a calender GS, don't play dumb! Or do you really not know, that she already won AO, Wimbledon and USO?! :rolleyes:

Pancho
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM

Michael - I meant to complete her personal goal of winning all grand slams singles. If she wins FO, she will have won each of the 4 grand slams. If so, that would be a fantastic story. Besides, her greatest chance is on Clay.

peter
05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I just hope Hingis won't get booed at FO and I hope she won't serve underhanded and no temper tantrums.

Oh - I on the other hand hope that she does serve underhanded, flash a big GRIN, and wins that ball. That would be *so* cool!

Rasta
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, she'll win one slam at least.