PDA

View Full Version : Ball Machine Portability (1st machine purchase)

kobun
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi. I've finally decided to go ahead and buy a ball machine because I don't get enough competitive play from my friends and they never push me to play above 3.5 skill lvl. The only way I can play above that level with anyone is if I pay the tennis center in my location lots of money, of which i could spend on a decent racquet or ball machine, hence.

I haven't researched too much elsewhere(i don't know where to look really)... but from searching and reading many threads on this forum, it looks like there is only a few choices and pretty narrowed by my preferences and budget.

I'm looking for portability(ability to carry on bike), battery powered(2 hours is fine really, i can serve practice all the rest) and i would love occilation, no wait, IT HAS TO HAVE OCCILATION(i want some competitive play and skill enhancement on the run).
My best choices seem to be:
tennis tutor prolite DC w/ oc. - 29lbs
little prince
economy lobster?

One major question I have is:
DO YOU THINK THE TENNISTUTOR PROLITE WILL FIT IN A BACKPACK? 12"H x 19.5"L x 18"W (anyone who has one, please please answer this. I will be biking to a nearby park with a court that's only 1 mile away from my house. I can hold about 50 balls in hand with a bag, unless someone has a better idea :)

Many thanks for your help and advice,
kob

metsjets
05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
you sound like a teenager with some money. honestly, if you're not at a 3.5 a ball machine can't really help you much yet. You need to work on technique with a coach. you'll learn much more with lessons than hitting balls from a machine with bad habits.

kobun
05-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Nah. I'm just a very poor college student who loves tennis. I play at 3.5 lvl at local tournaments. And by no means can I afford a coach. I try my best to analyze tennis videos and flash and pdf instructions I find on the net. Including this forum of course.

Back to the machine,
Can anyone enlighten me about the apparent size of this machine? Pictures of the tennistutor machine in a backpack would be exactly the cure to my paranoia.

wcfad
05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
I own a TT Prolite. It is too big to fit in a back-pack. It is also too heavy to bike with strapped to your back. You are underestimating the size and weight.

The biggest advantage of the Prolite is portability. That is, it is comfortable walking 100-200 yards with a hopper and racket. But biking with it would be an entirely different story. You would need a child bike carrier to haul it by bike.

kobun
05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Does the thing have wheels to occilate? I could never tell from pics or eauction listings... it does seem to lift off the ground by inches.

If no wheels, i could attach something to the bottom. but otherwise, how would it occilate, the spinning wheel i*****?

Court_Jester
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
There are no wheels that touch the ground but there is an aluminum plate on which the whole machine is mounted and can oscillate about. There are wheels between this plate and the machine which make the oscillation go more smoothly.