PDA

View Full Version : Pre-stretching with different types of strings

kninetik
07-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I plan to prestretch a poly string, and a syn gut string. Is there a set amount of time I should pre-stretch each string? Also, I have noticed when I prestretched my Gosen Sheep 17 for about a minute heavily leaning (pulling) with my body weight. My racquet tends to feel a bit boardy when I do this. Should I lean less? lean for lesser amount of time? What are your suggestions for Poly?

One last concern about poly. Someone mentioned that poly loses tension the fastest after its clamped off, is this true?

David Pavlich
07-03-2004, 07:13 AM
You don't need to prestretch for that long. I do stuff like polys and Rip Control for about 20 seconds and the rest for about 15 seconds.

Prestretching will indeed make the string play a little stiffer, but without a controlled test done on a RDC to give conclusive numbers, I'd be guessing as to how much the effect would be.

David

TennsDog
07-03-2004, 12:38 PM
When I am pre-stretching syn guts, especially for other people, I try not to stretch too much because I want to leave some of the elasticity and resiliancy in the string, otherwise it will lose its playability and probably some durability as well. Since poly strings play stiffer anyway, I just pull those about as hard as I can for about 30 sec to try to eliminate most of the initial tension loss. No amount of pre-stretching will make much of a difference in poly playability, I don't think.

kninetik
07-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Ouch, looks like I killed the strings before it even hit the balls!