PDA

View Full Version : Strange experience with strings...

Ruuzo
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Hello all,

Recently I broke the strings in my 2 main rackets on back to back days, so I was stuck using 2 of my older rackets with string jobs approximately 1-1.5 years old. The 2 rackets are a Head Radical Twin Tube OS strung with Klip Blast 16, and a Ti.Radical OS strung with Luxilon Alu Power. I had to play with these rackets roughly 6 months ago and I remember the string jobs at that point had that trampoline effect where every ball just launched off my racket, no control whatsoever.

So naturally I wasn't looking forward to playing with these rackets...but this time, to my great surprise, the control was back! Maybe the strings were dead, but I could still hit with power and place my shots, and of course the trampoline effect was gone. I've played about 7+ hours on these rackets. I felt comfortable playing matches with these 1+ year old string jobs! Anyone have any insight into this or had a similar experience? I'm a 4.0-4.5 baseline player.

TennsDog
07-03-2004, 11:46 AM
I am also a 4.0 - 4.5 baseliner and I bought three 300G's almost a year ago. I have had my third one strung with Prince Topspin 15L since I got it. My hitting partner doesn't play much so she doesn't have her own racket and uses my third one when we hit. I later put string savers in the sweet spot to help prevent notching in case I ever needed it in a match. I recently broke a string on my main racket so we traded and she played with a busted string while I used my third racket with no weight and nearly 1 yr old syn gut string job. I actually liked the feel quite a bit. The string had definitly lost playability as I felt that there was no resiliancy left, but they still played solid and with good control. I think I also liked the 15L gauge, as I have been playing with 16 and 17g for a while. That actually made me considering trying a racket with a more dense string pattern than my 16x19 300G's.

Ruuzo
07-03-2004, 01:15 PM
My 2 main rackets should be restrung this weekend so I'll do a little side-by-side comparison with the old string jobs, see if this is all just in my head. Wouldn't that be surprising though if I ended up liking the old string jobs better :lol:

StepBack
07-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Well check this out:
I play tennis for about 18 years fro recreation. 13 years ago my mom bought me & my sister our first graphite Wilson 150 st racquets. Sister had same racquet but smaller handle. I countinued to play tennis from time to time so I broke strings on my Wilson but my sister racquet was kept in the closet. I used mine racuqet, but after breaking string for 3rd time I never strung it again. After some time my sisters racuqet started to be my second racquet, now my girlfriend plays with it when we go to wall, and as for me , that is my "get out of the trouble" racquet. It is little heavier than HPS 6.1, I think it has some syn. gut on it but it still plays great , after 13 years of being strung (you can still part of original Wilson logo on it 8-)). I often ask myself how come this 16x18 with 13 years old syn. gut can be better than HPS 6.1 18x20 with new Prince spin 16 string. Well the mistery continues.

edit1: I noticed that sometimes when Im not full concentration my balls are going very high, I would not say thats because im not gripping racquet right, just like strings got brain of their own and they catapult ball little higher that it would be with same grip on HPS 6.1. Once you get aware of that and go little more solid , the feeling of hitting the balls is pretty nice I would say. I hop I will find that feel with some sting (will do poly maraton) on my HPS 6.1 soon.