PDA

View Full Version : wilson surge X or a Babolat Pure drive team plus

LX HONDA CIVIC
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
I know that the racquets are almost identical, and i would preferebly get the surge X because it is cheaper. I like to generate lots of spin and I am looking for some extra pop on my serve can anyone give me any feedback.

comfort
spin
feel
power
control
volleys
serve
groundies

thanks

Nas

Onecoldcat
07-03-2004, 07:25 AM
You should consider the Volkl Quantum Tour 8 as it has identical specs and is more arm friendly then the PD+ and Surge.

The Tour 8 is my current weapon of choice and I absolutely love it! The surge has come down in price, which makes it a great buy for the money.

Here's my opinion on the 3 racquets:

comfort - Tour 8, Surge, PD+

spin - toss up....PD+ overall

feel - Tour 8, Surge, PD+

power - PD+ (although sometimes too much), Surge, Tour 8

control - Tour 8, Surge, PD+

volleys - toss up...between the Tour 8 & the Surge?

serve - PD+ for pure power, Tour 8 for combination of power and control, Surge

groundies - for me the Tour 8, PD+, Surge

All three are very good frames that perform very similar, however feel very different, I would recommend a demo of all 3 before deciding. I would highly recommend trying the Tour 8 if you've never tried a Volkl frame before.

Good luck to you!

Coda
07-03-2004, 11:13 AM
tour 8 looks good, but I would go with the surge over the PD since it isn't nearly as stiff

newracketagain??
05-21-2005, 06:09 PM
i have a surge and a pro drive ! the surge has far less spin potential compared to the pd despite being indetical ! also the babolat is more comfortable on backhands !

monologuist
05-22-2005, 08:03 AM
These 2 racquets are not nearly as identical as Wilson claims...the lack of "Woofer" grommets in the Surge means it's gonna feel pretty different...less "trampoline" feel...a little less spin...but quite a bit more control and predictability of flatter shots, better feel/touch. I prefer the Surge myself...I find it much easier to control. I also prefer the Wilson handle shape. Power levels are similar...Surge might be a little more. The Pure Drive is a little more comfortable because of the Woofer grommets....they are probably about the same in flex otherwise. Surge is a hair lighter to swing... PErsonally I prefer the Pro Kennex Laver Type SX over both of those though....very similar, but even more control and spin. And competitively priced. If you can demo them, make sure to demo the Pro Kennex.

Jonnyf
05-22-2005, 09:49 AM
PD+ its brilliant

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
neither racketr is better than the other one.. they just have differnent strenths ! thedownside of the surge is that it looks disgusting !!! and the pure drive looks great !

the power and control are identical with these rackets !

the pure drive swings faster and gives more of whipping feel when hitting out !

flash44
05-22-2005, 01:17 PM
think about the aeropro drive plus :D

nn
05-22-2005, 01:51 PM
My hitting partner has surge because he thought the same and bought surge to save $$. Now he is tired of surge and buying aero drive. As I am using PD+ and hit with his surge, I can tell u upfront that surge is no compare to PD+. Don't buy surge..even on PD+ is equal to 2 surge...

babolat rules here.

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 01:55 PM
the bab pure drive isnt better than the surge, it just had differnent crudentials !if u strung it with a 17 or 18 string then itd have equal spin potenial! the surge is much nicer for serving ! but the pd is better on BH!

Cfidave
05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Having played with both, IMHO, the SurgeX is a better feeling more control oriented racquet. It feels a great deal more solid then the PD*. I could generate as much spin with the Surge X as with the PD+, I simply strung it differently. As far as cosmetics.... I don't remember one playing better then the other due to their color.