PDA

View Full Version : Just watch this...

Grigollif1
05-22-2006, 09:20 PM
and be quiet please...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp-EArV6s8&search=Federer

No comments....;) is this possible? did you really see what you think you did.....Reflect in your life afterwords..

BTW what tournament is this, it seems to me that is in 2004, can anybody confirm it?

Thanks..

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
this was mentioned in a threat earlier these past couple of weeks....people said that what he did was remarkable, others said that it was easy and they could do it themselves....

str33t
05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
...amazing...roger federer in action...

superman1
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
I believe it was in 2002, I think Basel. You can tell from how good Roddick is.

Tennis_Goodness
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
The king of tennis shows some beautiful stuff!

DRtenniS1112
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I believe it was in 2002, I think Basel. You can tell from how good Roddick is.
Indeed, Roddick does look good here. Too bad no matter what Roger has an answer for him.

str33t
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
the overhead roddick did wasn't deep enough. he just kind of smacked it straight down.

Grigollif1
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
the overhead roddick did wasn't deep enough. he just kind of smacked it straight down.

Hold on, let me see If I can put it into words.. that was a Counter Overhead ,parallel to the, line Smash winner..?

serveitup911
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
I recently had the rare opportunity to try an identical shot to this. My opponent hit an overhead hard, but too vertical. I ran back and to the side just like Federer and had to jump to get the ball. I hit an overhead and attempted to replicate the Federer shot. I made good contact and hit the ball in with lots of pace and relatively low over the net, but I hit it down the middle instead of down the line. My opponent was at the net, so he just dumped the volley short for a winner. I was still pretty happy that I got to try this shot and was almost successful.

Dan007
05-22-2006, 09:41 PM
This video has already been posted 2-3 times!!

superman1
05-22-2006, 09:42 PM
That's the amazing part about it. Most people would be able to hit it crosscourt, and even Roddick would probably be able to anticipate that and hit the volley. Federer went down the line - shorter distance, ball moves there faster, Roddick doesn't know what hit him.

snoflewis
05-22-2006, 11:02 PM
i think federer actually has that shot down in his books...he did something similar where his shoulders were parallel to the baseline and he just sliced it during that 45 shot rally w/ hewitt

just wondering...why did roddick throw his racket?

Head_Rocketman
05-22-2006, 11:07 PM
i think federer actually has that shot down in his books...he did something similar where his shoulders were parallel to the baseline and he just sliced it during that 45 shot rally w/ hewitt

Out of frustration haha

wyutani
05-22-2006, 11:09 PM

yep, i agree. but its fun to watch many time over...~ :mrgreen:

Head_Rocketman
05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
yep, i agree. but its fun to watch many time over...~ :mrgreen:
Waters down the quality of threads though. Seems like over the years Roddick goes thru different looks. Cap, cap backwards no cap. How many other pros switch that often?

fishuuuuu
05-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Waters down the quality of threads though. Seems like over the years Roddick goes thru different looks. Cap, cap backwards no cap. How many other pros switch that often?

Gasquet does. Hat on, hat off, t-shirt, polo, tournagrip, leather grip, Nike shoes, Asics shoes.

And I don't think with your relative time being here that you need to worry about the 'quality' of threads. It's been at an all time low for a while now.

pero
05-22-2006, 11:34 PM
it was basel 2002, quaters, 7-6 6-1 fed won
i've seen this match live on tv

raftermania
05-23-2006, 02:26 AM

First time I've seen it. People can't keep up with all the posts on this board you know (well some can).

Somebody add a video clip of him flying through the air in slow motion to the wikipedia entry for "grace".

This is not your conventional shot that you read about in a Vic Braden book. Federer is an artist, his game is not bound by rule or convention. In many people's minds that Roddick smash would have been unreturnable. If you watch closely, even Roddick relaxes all so much after hammering down that thunderbolt. Federer on the other hand didn't give up on the shot, there was only one way he was going to get that ball back as a winner and he found it. He reminds me of Vince Carter in his dunking heyday, he brought such imagination and grace to human kinetics, executing undefinable, jaw-dropping, poop your pants moves that come out of nowhere. This is what dreams are made of folks - sorry Ivan, Bjorn and Pete (oops).

That was inspiring, thanks for the Youtube post Elwing06 and Grigollif, thanks for the referral ;)

Janne
05-23-2006, 08:25 AM
That was unbelievable! :D

Does anyone else have that clip in a better quality, or perhaps the whole game?
IŽd like to see some of Andys and Rogers games against each other/other people too :)

dh003i
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Although Roger won that, I really wish Roddick would play that good more often. He was playing great then. Watching him play that great -- despite losing the point -- makes me really sad that his game has deteriorated to its current level.

He looked like more than just a ball-pounder there.

crazylevity
05-23-2006, 09:14 AM
That is disgustingly good. :)

srv vlly
05-23-2006, 01:24 PM
bow down to the greatness of federer.

brownbearfalling
05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
I thought he threw it in more of a kidding way, cause afterward he came over to shake Federer's hand. That's what I like about Roddick, he's a good guy on and off the court, at least from what I know about him.
________
Watch Starcraft 2 Replays (http://screplays.com)

BabolatFan
05-23-2006, 01:32 PM
That was classic! I totally dig it.

knasty131
05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I thought he threw it in more of a kidding way, cause afterward he came over to shake Federer's hand. That's what I like about Roddick, he's a good guy on and off the court, at least from what I know about him.

yeah if you watch at the very end of the video (shot from behind roddick) you can see federer smiling and roddick just jokingly throwing his racket...in no way was it threatening or anything, and judging by respect for roger and roddicks personality...the racket throw was pure humor rather than animosity...i could imagine myself doing that...hitting an overhead youre sure you won the point off of and then only to see the best shot anyone has ever hit against you...all i could do is laugh it off and joke around...

J-man
05-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes very amazing and cool but a double topic

David L
05-23-2006, 06:14 PM

Obviously he was kidding, but they did not shake hands. Roger just handed his racket back to him.

serveitup911
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
It looked like Federer thought that Roddick was going to try to injure him. He kind of backed away when Roddick came over.

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Great shot by Roger.

why does Roddick have to act like a jackass and lose it when these things happen??.. throwing your racquet was very cool Andy, very cool.

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
There's a few guys who have changed their looks dramatically over the years...

http://www.rp-online.de/layout/showbilder/4884-kuerten.jpg
http://img.bleskovky.sk/8080.jpg/gustavo_kuerten.jpg
http://www.terra.com/addon/img/deportes/futbol/1bad734gustavo_kuerten-r-130p.jpg

you might also want to look at some old pictures of Marat Safin.

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
http://radio-canada.ca/sportsv1/images/interntennismasc/0208/KuertenGustavo.jpg
http://www.terra.com/addon/img/deportes/varios/c68c24kuerten130p.jpg
http://www.terra.com/addon/img/deportes/varios/15f22a4kuerten130p.jpg

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_stenis/A040311_P06_KUERTEN_G.JPG
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2000/10/31/stuttgart_tuesday_ap/t1_kuerten_ap.jpg

Double G
05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Rodick felt like an idiot and a bunch of people where watching him as he was "smashed and passed" so he just threw his racquet at Fed so people would think it was funny because everyone was laughing at him. ???????(Make sense)

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Rodick felt like an idiot and a bunch of people where watching him as he was "smashed and passed" so he just threw his racquet at Fed so people would think it was funny because everyone was laughing at him. ???????(Make sense)
I personally like better Hewitt's attitude when he's been given a beating by Federer.... he keeps focused and fights until the end without putting out any kind of show.... even at that painfull USopen final in 2004 when he got really trashed. I would like Roddick to copy that.

BreakPoint
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
I thought Roddick was walking to the other side to the net to shake Federer's hand to concede the match to him as if to say that "you're just way to good for me so I might as well give up and concede the match to you right now". :(

BTW, when and which tournament was this anyway?

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Basel I think someone said

superman1
05-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Basel 2002. I doubt Roddick would congratulate him like that if it happened today. He'd just shake his head and sulk back to the service line. But back then, these guys were on the same level.