PDA

View Full Version : left hand vs right hand

dragonxking
05-22-2006, 09:30 PM
alot of people say leftys have the advantage over rightys. but wouldnt it be logical for rightys to have that same advantage over lefties?

Andres
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
No, because lefties play righties 90% of the time, so they're used to have a spin wich naturally goes to their backhands. Lefties have troubles when facing lefties as well ;)

It's a matter of get used to the "unusual" spin and ball trajectory, and the fact that your crosscourt backhand goes to their forehands, usually strong wing.

str33t
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
i hate playing lefties

wyutani
05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
trickes to beat a lefty;

Make a return towards the left-handed forehand. why? rather than hit to ur opponents lefty backhand. first you hit to lefty's forehand side with crosscourt backhand. by doing this mate'...you opened up the left side of the court and then you have a good oppurtunity to hit to his back hand with ur next shot.

PS: my hitting partner is also left-handed. :mrgreen:

Rickson
05-22-2006, 09:51 PM
alot of people say leftys have the advantage over rightys. but wouldnt it be logical for rightys to have that same advantage over lefties?
Yes and no. Yes because our forehands go right to their backhands and no because like Andres said, lefties are always playing righties so they're used to us. Lefties also get very used to hitting backhands.

grizzly4life
05-22-2006, 09:56 PM
as others have said, yes, physically it's true... but matchup wise it isn't true. lefties play righties almost every match.

and when you realize that federer still has major problems with nadal because he's a lefty (and other reasons), what does that say about the rest of us?

interestingly, they say the other guys who've beaten federer all have excellent 2HB..... food for thought i think in terms of how to beat a better player than you. just relentlessly hit to their backhand.

wyutani
05-22-2006, 09:58 PM
as others have said, yes, physically it's true... but matchup wise it isn't true. lefties play righties almost every match.

and when you realize that federer still has major problems with nadal because he's a lefty (and other reasons), what does that say about the rest of us?

interestingly, they say the other guys who've beaten federer all have excellent 2HB..... food for thought i think in terms of how to beat a better player than you. just relentlessly hit to their backhand.

never hit their backhand, read my previous post mate'..

Rickson
05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Raul the cheat is a lefty and I beat him all the time. I hit to his backhand most of the time anyway because he got used to my inside out forehands which I use on most righties. Raul the cheat prefers to hit forehands over backhands despite the lefties don't mind backhands theory so when you play a lefty, go to his backhand a lot in the beginning and establish whether he's comfortable there or not. If the lefty likes hitting backhands, start hitting inside out and see how his forehand is, but don't go to the well too much.

wyutani
05-23-2006, 12:19 AM
guys, just for fun, here are the pros that are left-handed in the ATP..just ignore puerta, he's sort of banned from tennis for 8 years.

Rk Player Country
2 Rafael Nadal Spain
21 Mariano Puerto Argentina :mrgreen:
33 Jurgen Melzer Austria
34 Feliciano Lopez Spain
37 Kenneth Carlsen Denmark
41 Fernando Verdasco Spain
47 Wayne Arthurs Australia
57 Jarkko Nieminen Finland
71 Ricardo Mello Brazil
80 Greg Rusedski Great Britain
86 Giles Muller Luxembourg