PDA

View Full Version : The Most Ridiculous Gimmick

Russiadude
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
In the latest issue of Tennis Magazine there is an ad for the Yonex RDX 500. Anyone bother to read it? I did. Now, I don't know whether I can respect tennis brands anymore. First, the ad mentions "Memory Titanium" which has double the restitution force of ordinary graphite. Then it mentions "Super Metal." Yes, Super Metal. My problem is with the wording itself. For all I know, Liquid Metal, HyperCarbon, and this Super Metal might actually do what they are supposed to, I'm no scientist I have no idea. But why in the world do they come up with these cheesy names for the actual materials? A gimmick is supposed to make me want to buy the product, not think that is is some kind of con.

Steve Huff
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
If they invent something new, they have to name it. They apply for a patent (for the invention) and copyright (for the name of it). If they don't take that flashy sounding name, some other company will. It's kind of like when Head came out with the titanium series and painted their rackets a pewter-looking gray. They could have been painted all red or all black, but the color was there to remind you that it's TITANIUM. If Yonex just said "it's a new metal that doubles the returned force", people wouldn't notice it. But, when they say "Super Metal", people want to find out WHY it's so super. That's the marketing. Now, some of the engineers take over and try to TELL you why its so super---how the material works better than the materials in other rackets. The same with HYPER CARBON. People want to know what the differences are. And, you may not agree with all thats said, but at least they have our studying the fine print now.

Swan Song
03-02-2004, 10:38 PM
That so-called memory titanium is their Ultimum TIs

Deuce
03-03-2004, 12:12 AM
"Ramble on..." - that's what the racquet companies do with their endless ridiculous gimmicks.

Grimjack
03-03-2004, 04:08 AM
I'm not falling for this so called "graphite."

Steve Huff
03-03-2004, 05:35 AM
7 layers of wood. Yea right. What a gimmick. They should just stamp it out of a single piece, like the ones us "real" players use.

Ronaldo
03-03-2004, 06:36 AM
On another thread it's mentioned about breakout club technology changing the golf game the past two years. What has happened to increase distances and could this apply to tennis.

Rabbit
03-03-2004, 07:08 AM
On another thread it's mentioned about breakout club technology changing the golf game the past two years. What has happened to increase distances and could this apply to tennis.

It already has! The rackets of today allow players to generate more pace with less technique.

The so-called player's frame is really a graphite imitation of a wood racket. Mind you that in reality the two have absolutely nothing in common, but it's as close as you can get. A buddy of mine who I play weekly came up after wood, his idea of the ideal racket is that Babolat Pure Control Zylon, which is a couple of ounces lighter than my ideal racket, the C10 (which I have judiciously weighted with lead tape to absolute perfection :wink: ).

The other frames which are called game improvement really allow technology to make up for experience. If there are any advanced players who don't think it's so, try this. I play racketball from time to time. Try playing racketball with an old and I mean old racket, one of the little ones. The current ones have heads bigger than my tennis racket.

Now, I can hit the ball with the mini-racketball racket, but if I use a current technology bat, my game is on the "B" level. With the old stick it's more like beginner, where it probably ought to be.

One of the pros at my club told me that he can, in two lessons, make a 3.5 out of a beginner. I don't have any empirical data on his success rate, but he says that the right racket in the hands of a beginner makes all the difference in the world.

Rabbit
03-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Oh and as a follow up, the ability to hit the ball harder with the absence of technique has lead to the dramatic rise in tennis elbow. Just look around the courts at all the people where those elbow bands. It's epidemic.

AAAA
03-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Do the majority of elbow band wearing players use light-weight racquets?

@wright
03-03-2004, 07:38 AM
I agree, Rabbit. Preach on brother.

moonshine
03-04-2004, 05:12 PM
AAAA, I teach tennis full-time and I have yet to come across someone playing with a "heavier" racquet (12+ oz) who was wearing an elbow band. However, most of the people I teach who use racquets weighing less than 10 oz do have the bands. Coincidence?

WYK
03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Super Metal?! I love Metallica! Uh..

Anyways, I dunno 'bout super metal, liquid steel, or ulti-malted metals. Hell, I don't even have a 100% gra-fire racquet, since I use the Estooser(R) Power Pro Death Dealer(20% fiberglazed)(TM). It weighs nearly 14 ounces weighted up, but my lord is it forgiving on off-center hits, powerful, and easy on the arm. Get yours today!

WYK

jings
03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Will Super Metal require one of those wibbly-wobbly balls a la Wilson TG 2000 or whatever it was ... now that was a gimmick.

@wright
03-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Fiberglass is a gimmick substance that was concieved only to deal out pain and destruction on the tennis court...

Deuce
03-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Fiberglass is perhaps the most inoffensive material to the majority of arms/elbows.

jayserinos99
03-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Wilson Rollers was a gimmick.