PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters on clay

Jack Romeo
05-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Some recent comments by Clijsters regarding the upcoming French Open:

"It's a motivation for me to find my game on clay," said the 22-year-old, who picked up the Warsaw trophy earlier this month.

"It's my least favourite surface and it's a challenge to make my game work on it.

"I can play my game on hardcourt like I want to play it. On clay, it's a lot different. The movement is a lot tougher for me.

"But I keep playing my own game because I'm powerful enough to get through my opponents with my strokes."

frankly i do not understand why she thinks she is not good on clay. yes she loses more on this surface than on others but i think it's all mental. she has proven that she can win on the surface, and it's puzzling that she hasn't grown more confident with those achievements. she was 18 when she almost won the french open against capriati. she's a 2-time finalist. she's the best mover and the best slider on tour which she should be seeing as an advantage over other players, particularly on clay. plus she's a continental european. she has no excuse for not being familiar with clay.

come to think of it, there should be no reason why any of the top women should think they are strong on one surface and not on the other. why? because they all play the same baseline bashing game! i mean think about it: mary pierce and lindsay davenport play almost the exact same game but davenport likes the faster courts while pierce has had more success on the slower courts. it can't possibly be anything physical or technical as much as mental. davenport has somehow convinced herself that clay isn't for her and likewise pierce has done the same vis-a-vis grass courts. but steffi graf and serena williams proved that they could play basically the same game on clay as they do on grass and win on both surfaces. sure, they were more vulnerable on clay but their losses had more to do with lack of patience on a particular day (again, a mental issue, not a technical one) than with how flat or how heavily spun their shots were. in fact, graf was really only vulnerable on clay earlier in her career against seles, sabatini and sanchez-vicario. she routinely beat these players later in her career no matter what the surface was.

jackofromalsager
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
kim is good on clay but i want hennin-hardene to win her bh is amazin !

arosen
05-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Petrova v.s. JHH in the final. THAT would be awesome tennis.

Phantom543
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Call me an idiot, but i'd be surprised it petrova makes it to the final.

Roger is Boring
05-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Id rather see jhh versus hingis in the french open final.

Max G.
05-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Id rather see jhh versus hingis in the french open final.

Hingis and JHH are in the same half of the draw.

Warriorroger
05-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Clijsters should shut up and decide if she wants to be a winner or a whiner. Everyday when I read ceefax on Belgium television it is about her and an injury or not 100% fit, or happy to reach the 3rd round. Or this or that. She is nice, but the biggest whiner of them all, there is always something. Now it's clay, tomorrow it's indoor.