PDA

View Full Version : Caņas can play again...

grimpi
05-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Caņas can play again... ITF declared Caņas is innocent a he can play again...
He was suspended last year, when he was a Top 10...

djones
05-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Who informed you on that?

Would be cool tho, to see him back, a real fighter.

grimpi
05-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Here:

http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.php?Idx=256288&IdxSeccion=100796

Ripper
05-23-2006, 06:40 AM
This is cool. I know he's been training. So, hopefully, he'll be in good condition.

Max G.
05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
ITF declared Caņas is innocent a he can play again...

Did they actually declare him innocent? Based on the (admittedly horrible) babelfish translation of the site posted by grimpi, I think they just mentioned that they're reducing his sentence.

If they actually changed their minds and declared him not guilty, that would be interesting, but I'd definitely like to see a reference of some sort for that...

grimpi
05-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Yes, you have right. When I post the notice, the site said that canas was innocent. But now they change the notice.
Anyway, I think canas it's a great player and this is a great notice...

whistleway
05-23-2006, 07:36 AM
More here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/tennis/05/23/bc.ten.canas.doping.ap/
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2006-05-23T145516Z_01_B78138_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-CANAS.XML

djones
05-23-2006, 07:53 AM
WOW!

Hope he'll qualify for Roland Garros!

Now I read till september, so he won't be making it to Roland Garros, neither the US open.

Andres
05-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Cañas sentence has been reduced, and HE'LL BE BACK IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Andres
05-23-2006, 08:08 AM
WOW!

Hope he'll qualify for Roland Garros!

Now I read till september, so he won't be making it to Roland Garros, neither the US open.
Why wouldn't he play US Open? He's missing Wimbledon :p

crazylevity
05-23-2006, 08:10 AM
and why not the USO?

RiosTheGenius
05-23-2006, 08:14 AM
thi is by far the best thing I've heard today..... VAMOS GUILLE!!!!

MonkeyPox
05-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Sounds sort of like they are talking out of both sides of their mouths. If they really believe he did not do it on purpose and therefore was not taking steroids, only a diuretic, it is ridiculous to punish him at all. If however, they really believe that he did do it on purpose and is a juicer, which by the changes in his body I'd say he appeared to be, then they are just bowing to pressure from some quarters and reducing his suspension somewhat. A little of this, a little of that. He still has the black eye though and I bet his fellow players think he is a cheat. At least that's what those such as Gimelstob who have gone on the record, have said.

norcal
05-23-2006, 08:24 AM
"A mistake in the delivery of the medication was made not by the player, but rather by the tournament staff," the CAS arbitration panel ruled.

Did Canas sue the tournament director/owner? That's some serious lost wages.

LeftyServe
05-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd like to read the full CAS opinion, but if the Reuters summary is correct this demonstrates the absolute absurdity of so-called zero tolerance. Canas has paid for a mistake made not by himself but by tournament staff. His own negligence was deemed "not significant." Well, if that's the case, then's he's truly gotten the proverbial screw. A reduction in sentence? He should be reinstated immediately! Why should he have to forfeit his livelihood for a mistake made by others (others employed by the ATP, no less) for which he shared negligible responsibility. Punish and deter on the basis of responsibility; that's justice. This zero tolerance, "strict liability" nonsense breeds trouble and unfairness.

djones
05-23-2006, 09:31 AM
and why not the USO?

He won't be back untill september the 10th.
Isn't that too late then for the Us open?

Shabazza
05-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Why wouldn't he play US Open? He's missing Wimbledon :p
You know when the USO starts right?! Now check, when he will be back and you know why he can't play! :rolleyes:
I'd like to read the full CAS opinion, but if the Reuters summary is correct this demonstrates the absolute absurdity of so-called zero tolerance. Canas has paid for a mistake made not by himself but by tournament staff. His own negligence was deemed "not significant." Well, if that's the case, then's he's truly gotten the proverbial screw. A reduction in sentence? He should be reinstated immediately! Why should he have to forfeit his livelihood for a mistake made by others (others employed by the ATP, no less) for which he shared negligible responsibility. Punish and deter on the basis of responsibility; that's justice. This zero tolerance, "strict liability" nonsense breeds trouble and unfairness.
Agreed, the whole issue is kind of fishy, but anyway I hope Canas learned about his mistake and will check EVERY medicament he's using, REGARDLESS who gave it to him!!

arosen
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
This whole thing doesn't look good at all.

MonkeyPox
05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not buying that they really think that. They issued a similar sort of statement for Puerta. They said he took that stimulant probably inadvertently, but they still banned him? I don't think so. I think that they think these guys are completely guilty, but are just soft peddling the language a little to either make the sport look less dirty or to try and avoid being sued.

The tennis guy
05-23-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm not buying that they really think that. They issued a similar sort of statement for Puerta. They said he took that stimulant probably inadvertently, but they still banned him? I don't think so. I think that they think these guys are completely guilty, but are just soft peddling the language a little to either make the sport look less dirty or to try and avoid being sued.

Even if you are taking something inadvertently, you still will be punished. That's the rule. The problem with Puerta is this was his second offense.

Andres
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
You know when the USO starts right?! Now check, when he will be back and you know why he can't play! :rolleyes:
WTF!! Monday, Aug 28
Day: Men's/Women's 1st Round
Evening: Men's/Women's 1st Round

AUGUST!!?? :mrgreen:

My mind must be breaking apart, I was picturing more like October or so... when was the TMC?? Davis Cup final?

Damn, my head is screwed :D

Freedom
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
August? I thought USO started late September...

Andres
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
August? I thought USO started late September...
Yeah, me too :D
That's why I said what I said... totally convinced about being Late September, or early October :cool:

Max G.
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Ugh, it's so frustrating. First Puerta, and now Canas - are they victims of technicalities?

I would totally hate for a player to have to forfeit playing time because of things like that - mistakes by tournament officials, negligence in not watching which glass he drunk from, why he HELL are those kinds things allowed to ruin players careers? Fines - sure, give out fines like candy, fines are a fine deterrent for negligence. But banning players from competition is so much more severe.

...if the ATP believes that Canas or Puerta or whoever took performance-enhancing drugs, then I'd much rather them come out and say it.
"Based on the results of the drug tests, we believe that there is a significant chance that Player X took drugs that enhanced his performance, and the alibi the player provided was not concincing enough to ignore the chemical evidence." How hard is that to say?

...but what they're saying now is basically that they're willing to ruin players careers just to set an example, when the players did not enhance their performance in any way and did not intend to.

If Yahoo's summary is to be trusted (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=canassuspension&prov=st&type=lgns , which I got from a helpful post here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101076 ), then the scenario was as follows - Canas sees doctor, doctor makes a prescription, TOURNAMENT STAFF deliver the WRONG prescription, which then shows up in drug tests.

If that's really what happened, then it's pretty seems to me that the sentence is excessive...

...and if they're using these details to hide the fact that they actually believe that Canas did take performance-enhancing steroids, then they should grow a spine and actually say so.

EclipseRydr97
05-23-2006, 04:46 PM
If professional tennis players get banned from playing tennis for taking drugs that enhance performance, why don't professional baseball players get banned from the MLB for the same reason?

Max G.
05-23-2006, 04:55 PM
If professional tennis players get banned from playing tennis for taking drugs that enhance performance, why don't professional baseball players get banned from the MLB for the same reason?

Because the MLB doesn't enforce their own rules ;)

jings
05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Ugh, it's so frustrating. First Puerta, and now Canas - are they victims of technicalities?

I would totally hate for a player to have to forfeit playing time because of things like that - mistakes by tournament officials, negligence in not watching which glass he drunk from, why he HELL are those kinds things allowed to ruin players careers? Fines - sure, give out fines like candy, fines are a fine deterrent for negligence. But banning players from competition is so much more severe.

...if the ATP believes that Canas or Puerta or whoever took performance-enhancing drugs, then I'd much rather them come out and say it.
"Based on the results of the drug tests, we believe that there is a significant chance that Player X took drugs that enhanced his performance, and the alibi the player provided was not concincing enough to ignore the chemical evidence." How hard is that to say?

...but what they're saying now is basically that they're willing to ruin players careers just to set an example, when the players did not enhance their performance in any way and did not intend to.

If Yahoo's summary is to be trusted (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=canassuspension&prov=st&type=lgns , which I got from a helpful post here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101076 ), then the scenario was as follows - Canas sees doctor, doctor makes a prescription, TOURNAMENT STAFF deliver the WRONG prescription, which then shows up in drug tests.

If that's really what happened, then it's pretty seems to me that the sentence is excessive...

...and if they're using these details to hide the fact that they actually believe that Canas did take performance-enhancing steroids, then they should grow a spine and actually say so.

Exactly. ATP just come out of this looking even more inept on the issue than normal. The Christian in me says Canas has been very hard done by.

Gugafan_Redux
05-24-2006, 07:05 AM
How many is this now, players that have been accused, banned, then found not guilty? Rusedski. Chela. I mean, WTF? How hard is it to make a list of substances that are disallowed and enforce it? Put someone on the ATP staff between the player ingesting these substances and the trainers at the events handing out pills and drinks like an ice cream man. That way, if there's something illegal in it, it's nobody's fault by the tour! Let the players play, and let the administers administer. It's stupid to expect the player to know the chemical make-up of Roflan or whatever. If the substance is really given out by the tour event staff (in this case Acupulco), the player should not guilty.

scott
05-24-2006, 07:10 AM
that was rough on canas he was just starting to get good.

sebastiange
05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Believe it or not, i´m a close friend to one of Cañas´ attourneys.

I asked my friend what did Guillermo told him in those "client-attourney" chats, where you asume that your client must tell you the truth, even if you are guilty, so your attourney can prepare your defense.

Guillermo ALWAYS told him that he was innocent, and that he believed that something didn´t smell that good with this diuretic thing. His words (he was pretty mad also when he remembered the situation).

Just posting this to help keep up Willy´s image.

baseliner
05-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Good to hear if you are a friend of Canas' attorney, the attoreny-client does not apply. Do you honestly think his attorney would dime him out? Means nothing. Canas is no more guilty of taking steroids than Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds. Bonds who is so careful about everything he eats or drinks, just ingested unknown items, got shot in the butt by a non-medical person and rubbed the "Cream" and the "Clear" on his body. He had no idea he was taking steroids. Sure!!!

sebastiange
05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Good to hear if you are a friend of Canas' attorney, the attoreny-client does not apply. Do you honestly think his attorney would dime him out? Means nothing. Canas is no more guilty of taking steroids than Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds. Bonds who is so careful about everything he eats or drinks, just ingested unknown items, got shot in the butt by a non-medical person and rubbed the "Cream" and the "Clear" on his body. He had no idea he was taking steroids. Sure!!!

Iīm not sure whatīs your point. Caņas stated this as a private and confident statement, and my friend is as clear as water with me. What iīm telling you is a fact and just and only that.

LeftyServe
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM

This is an incredibly unfair comment. You have no basis to compare Canas with Bonds, et. al. Canas has actually gone through the litigation process. A tribunal has pronounced him not guilty of knowingly ingesting a banned substance. Again, that's the problem with the current standards. It breeds reckless speculation about matters that haven't been alleged, much less proven. I read the CAS opinion. They basically imposed a 15 month suspension not because Canas ingested the substance, but because he (a tennis pro, not a physician) didn't catch the fact that he'd been handed the wrong prescription which contained the banned substance. "Not significant negligence," the panel said. In other words, he was slightly careless. The punishment does not fit the proven crime.

MonkeyPox
05-24-2006, 08:33 AM
But, also like Bonds, though to a somewhat lesser extent both Canas and Puerta looked like there were on steroids to me. I saw them in person and knowing nothing about any of this and especially since it was before either of them were caught, I said those guy look like they are on steroids. It was an interesting coincidence. Canas especially in the way his body changed over the last year before he was caught. Could be a coincidence I guess.

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 08:48 AM
I hope he gets a WC for one of the year en tourneys.... I'd be nice to see him play Madrid or Moscow.......VAMOS GUILLE!!!!

sebastiange
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
But, also like Bonds, though to a somewhat lesser extent both Canas and Puerta looked like there were on steroids to me. I saw them in person and knowing nothing about any of this and especially since it was before either of them were caught, I said those guy look like they are on steroids. It was an interesting coincidence. Canas especially in the way his body changed over the last year before he was caught. Could be a coincidence I guess.

Iīm not trying to stand in defense of anyone, but i couldnīt disagree more on someone saying a thing like that, just because "it looked like".

BERDI4
05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Cañas wasn't guilty for doping but he was guilty for negligence.
eEen though the doctor of the tournament prescribed the medicine, he should have read prospect before taking it. That's whay they shorthened his ban and they are giving him back all the prizes he won after Acapulco. The only money he looses is the one earned in Acapulco.
Anyway, it's sad because Cañas was lowering his ranking at that time, and he was in the top 15.

Andres
05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Caņas wasn't guilty for doping but he was guilty for negligence.
eEen though the doctor of the tournament prescribed the medicine, he should have read prospect before taking it. That's whay they shorthened his ban and they are giving him back all the prizes he won after Acapulco. The only money he looses is the one earned in Acapulco.
Anyway, it's sad because Caņas was lowering his ranking at that time, and he was in the top 15.
If they're giving him their prizes back, shouldn't he be getting the points of the tourneys as well? Points = a better ranking.

MonkeyPox
05-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I was saying he looked like it because the size of his legs seemed to double and it was a very unnaturally rapid gain of muscle mass. His thighs are like tree trunks and not that long ago he was fairly slender. So yes, in that way, something appeared very strange. Like I said it could be a coincidence, but it would be a doozy.

At least he has a neck, unlike Puerta.

sebastiange
05-24-2006, 01:44 PM
At least he has a neck, unlike Puerta.

LMAO :mrgreen:

Couldnīt agree more on that.

RiosTheGenius
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
If they're giving him their prizes back, shouldn't he be getting the points of the tourneys as well? Points = a better ranking.
it doesn't matter, he will soon be 52 weeks innactive (first week of June, the Halle tourney was his last one last year), which means he will be out of the ATP computer until he plays again

BERDI4
05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
it doesn't matter, he will soon be 52 weeks innactive (first week of June, the Halle tourney was his last one last year), which means he will be out of the ATP computer until he plays again
That's a pity

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
They Need To Make Dopers Permanently Banned. Zero Tolerance Is The Only Way.

RiosTheGenius
05-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Guillermo Canas was not a doper.