PDA

View Full Version : Problems with hitting the ball

Delzac
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
hi, i just started tennis recently. i have this phobia of hitting the ball hard( or lightly) as it tends to fly high up. i understand that it is a problem with my racket face being too open, what do u advice me to do??

Thx

wyutani
05-23-2006, 07:47 AM
hi, i just started tennis recently. i have this phobia of hitting the ball hard( or lightly) as it tends to fly high up. i understand that it is a problem with my racket face being too open, what do u advice me to do??

Thx

i got this problem when i was a newbie. i tried playing against the wall, im cured mate'...try the wall

Silentgunz
05-23-2006, 07:53 AM
keep ur racquet face closed

Delzac
05-23-2006, 08:03 AM
another thing is, if u want to hit and ball make it move in parrallel to the doubles line, and keep the ball low, u will have to bend ur wrist to the very extreme, right??

chess9
05-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Don't practice against a wall unless you've had lessons from a pro. Why practice trash strokes? Every bad stroke is a stroke that must be undone by your future pro.

GET LESSONS. Would you teach yourself to play the violin, or learn brain surgery by correspondence course? :)

-Robert

Neutron Star
05-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi, i'm also new to playing tennis and i also tend to hit the ball and it goes up... >_<
what does it mean to keep the racquet face open/closed?

thanks!

JRstriker12
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi, i'm also new to playing tennis and i also tend to hit the ball and it goes up... >_<
what does it mean to keep the racquet face open/closed?

thanks!

If you racket face is open, it means the face is pointing up toward the sky.

If it's closed, the racket face is pointing more towards the ground.

If you're skying the ball because the face is to open, try switching your grip to close the racket face a bit. For example, a semi westren grip will close the racket face a little bit more than a continental or eastern grip.

Also, instead of hitting under the ball when you swing hi-to-low, try to bush up on the back of the ball as you swing through.

just out
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Don't practice against a wall unless you've had lessons from a pro. Why practice trash strokes? Every bad stroke is a stroke that must be undone by your future pro.

GET LESSONS. Would you teach yourself to play the violin, or learn brain surgery by correspondence course? :)

-Robert

I say go ahead and use the wall. I was self-taught and developed good strokes (using mostly the wall until I could hit well enough to get on the court), watch good players play and move and watch the pros, practice, practice, practice, refine your stroke and pay attention to how you are moving and stroking the ball compared to those that you watch who are good players. Having taught for many years I am a believer in lessons but they are not a requirement for improvement and good stroke development.

Violin yes, brain surgery, well, maybe not, but if I could find a book or video maybe :)

AndyP
05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
If your racquet is parallel to the net it will come back at the same angle that it went over.

snoflewis
05-23-2006, 04:32 PM
it's just that you don't have enough confidence in your shots...

don't be afraid of it, and just play your game. make sure your footwork during those matches is as good as when it was when you were just rallying and don't worry about the score too much.