PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo trying to copy Henin-Hardenne's backhand?

Ripper
05-23-2006, 10:42 AM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57603784.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=E3A33B54CA52535BC5B631189F6B1314

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57596179.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=E3A33B54CA52535B6832069C672093DD

I thought Mauresmo had a standard eastern backhand, but these recent pictures seem to suggest that she's gone one bevel back. Maybe trying to copy Henin-Hardenne's incredibly beautiful and effective backhand?

wyutani
05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
you know henin uses a Semi-Western Backhand Grip, and that is like the most freakin hardest grip to copy!!, took me 2 months to properly make it affective, it's like playing with my right hand, damn weak. anyway, no harm for mauresmo to copy henin, the grip is afterall used for clay courters...

Ripper
05-23-2006, 11:06 AM
you know henin uses a Semi-Western Backhand Grip, and that is like the most freakin hardest grip to copy!!, took me 2 months to properly make it affective, it's like playing with my right hand, damn weak. anyway, no harm for mauresmo to copy henin, the grip is afterall used for clay courters...

I use it, too :mrgreen: And I agree, it's difficult to copy :cool: Hummm, but when did Mauresmo start using it? I once asked about Mauresmo's backhand grip and I think it was a backhand eastern.

PS: Amelie and Justine are my two favourite WTA players (well, counting out Maria, who I admire for her looks, not that she's anything short of a great player).

Max G.
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I've seen Mauresmo play, and at the Australian Open she was using the same grip she'd used for the couple of years before then...

I suppose I'll see at the French whether her game has changed.

Midlife crisis
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57603784.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=E3A33B54CA52535BC5B631189F6B1314

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57596179.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=E3A33B54CA52535B6832069C672093DD

I thought Mauresmo had a standard eastern backhand, but these recent pictures seem to suggest that she's gone one bevel back. Maybe trying to copy Henin-Hardenne's incredibly beautiful and effective backhand?

Ripper, I think she's always had this grip. In most respects, her backhand is (in my opinion) basically the equal of Henin's backhand, and I'm not sure why after so many years, she'd switch to a different grip. That's not something easy for someone after they've hit literally a hundred thousand backhands.

galain
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree with Midlife - I'm a big fan of Mauresmo and she's always had a reasonably extreme backhand grip. I think her shot is more versatile than JHH's which may explain why it appears to be an eastern grip sometimes, but she's usually using a fairly extreme grip.

arosen
05-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I doubt that at this stage of her career ( she is # 1 aint she?) she would be copying anyone. At her level things are very well established, ingrained even. She is doing the same thing Billie Jean King did, King said she did not have a grip, she had GRIPS. Plural.

ibemadskillzz
05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
she didn't change anything, come on now

Rickson
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Copying Justine? Mauresmo's backhand's always been her signature shot and she doesn't have to copy anyone else's backhand.

wyutani
05-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Copying Justine? Mauresmo's backhand's always been her signature shot and she doesn't have to copy anyone else's backhand.

i suppose she "borrowed" henin's backhand becos it's clay season. :mrgreen:

Ripper
05-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Ripper, I think she's always had this grip. In most respects, her backhand is (in my opinion) basically the equal of Henin's backhand, and I'm not sure why after so many years, she'd switch to a different grip. That's not something easy for someone after they've hit literally a hundred thousand backhands.

I agree with Midlife - I'm a big fan of Mauresmo and she's always had a reasonably extreme backhand grip. I think her shot is more versatile than JHH's which may explain why it appears to be an eastern grip sometimes, but she's usually using a fairly extreme grip.

I doubt that at this stage of her career ( she is # 1 aint she?) she would be copying anyone. At her level things are very well established, ingrained even. She is doing the same thing Billie Jean King did, King said she did not have a grip, she had GRIPS. Plural.

Thanks crisis, galain, arosen and the rest. You know, I've searched this forum, looking for info concerning many pro's grips and there always seems to be controversy. The reason for this is the pics. Some of them show something and some of them show something else. The explanation is as simple; as some of you guys have pointed out here, many pros are versatile and can change between grips, according to the situation. Some are much more versatile than others. However, I do believe they all have a main forehand grip and a main backhand grip. I guess, when we ask about a pro's grip, this is what we want to know. In Amelie Mauresmo's case, I've seen pics showing her with a eastern backhand grip and others showing her with an extreme eastern (which some refer to as a backhand semi-western or, even, western). So, yes, she has a versatile backhand. However, my point, I think, was that, as of lately, she's kind of stuck with the backhand extreme eastern and not since the clay court season started, but since before that. Coincidentally, some may argue that she's playing the best tennis of her life. I find this interesting. Of course, all of this is speculation, as she could be doing everything the same as always, as some already mentioned.