PDA

View Full Version : Dick Gould--Stanford tennis clinic

iconoclast
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I was wondering whether any of you know anything about this guy. I am thinking about signing for a two day clinic at Stanford, which is directed by him. I'd appreciate your feedback about it.

Cheers,

serveitup911
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
He was the head coach at Stanford for many years and has numerous NCAA titles. He was the winningest coach in college tennis. He is a top notch character and a nice guy.

chrisplchs
05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I really don't know how great of a camp that is. He is a winner but a lot of winning at college tennis is from who you recruit and how you ********. He is a great guy and now he is a tournament director.

iconoclast
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks both serveitup911 and chrisplchs.

It sounds excellent. By your praise I'd say that the guy knows what he's doing, and that he is a good guy. I'll go for it.

I am by no means a great player, just trying to make the leap from 4.0 to 5.0 so I can definitely use quality professional advice.

Cheers,

paulfreda
05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I recommend Dick very highly.
Well respected, all time winning men's college tennis coach at Stanford for
35+ years.
You will learn plenty at any camp he runs.

serveitup911
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
iconoclast,

Great! Tell us how it goes!

When is the camp?

travlerajm
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I worked for Dick Gould as an instructor at his national junior camp and also for his adult day camps. His camps feature a lot of ball machine work al morning, then match play in the afternoons. He's a smart coach. He's a little set in his ways, but his ways work.

chess9
05-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I worked for Dick Gould as an instructor at his national junior camp and also for his adult day camps. His camps feature a lot of ball machine work al morning, then match play in the afternoons. He's a smart coach. He's a little set in his ways, but his ways work.

Interesting. I bought a ball machine for my comeback and it has been a great help. Does he focus on just a few drills with the ball machine? Like oscillating side to side (cardio), or does he use it manly for stroke mechanics and stroke grooving? I'm thinking about a camp this summer and was thinking NB, but this sounds interesting.

-Robert

travlerajm
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Interesting. I bought a ball machine for my comeback and it has been a great help. Does he focus on just a few drills with the ball machine? Like oscillating side to side (cardio), or does he use it manly for stroke mechanics and stroke grooving? I'm thinking about a camp this summer and was thinking NB, but this sounds interesting.

-Robert

It's a combination of all types of stroke production on the ball machines for 3-4 hours a day. It's basically 7-8 hours of tennis a day. Get yourself a nice widebrim hat and a bottle of 100spf or else you'll end up looking like burnt toast. There's a large variation in the quality of the instructors, but that's probably true of any of these types of camps. My favorite part of the camp was the team element, when they divide everyone into league teams and play out a league season over the course of the week in thelast tennis hour of the day, with an instructor as a player/coach. It was 13 years ago that I worked the camp, so the format may have changed a bit since then.

chess9
05-24-2006, 12:25 AM
3-4 hours of ball machine? WOW! I thought I was old school. I did 4 hours one day and my pro told me I was nuts. :)

-Robert

iconoclast
05-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I've registered. Kind of excited about it.

More than a camp it's a weekend clinic for adults. Two days: 3 hour in the morning and another 3 in the afternoon. It will take place in a few weeks, 6/17-6/18. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

As for a tennis machine, I was thinking that it may help in developing stroke technique, but I live in an apartment... What do you guys think? Will it be too much hassle to bring it down to the car, and then to the court?

Thanks again for your input.

iconoclast
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I recommend Dick very highly.
Well respected, all time winning men's college tennis coach at Stanford for
35+ years.
You will learn plenty at any camp he runs.

If I may ask, are you in Bangkok temporarily, or ...?

KKK
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I've registered. Kind of excited about it.

More than a camp it's a weekend clinic for adults. Two days: 3 hour in the morning and another 3 in the afternoon. It will take place in a few weeks, 6/17-6/18. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

As for a tennis machine, I was thinking that it may help in developing stroke technique, but I live in an apartment... What do you guys think? Will it be too much hassle to bring it down to the car, and then to the court?

Well, I have to admit I'm envious. Being a veteran of tennis camps, I advise you not to expect too much. And, I mean by that, these camps will not transform your game. At best you will pick up one or two great tips, but it will be up to you to follow up. Which means lots of practice.

I remember at one camp, when I was having trouble with my forehand stroke (too eager to finish to the side), the instructor tried something with me. He stood on the other side of the net, just a few feet from it. He tossed me the ball. I was standing at the baseline, and he said, "Okay, hit it to me." I was a little confused, but I tossed the ball up and swatted it easily back to him. He said, "Okay, that's your forehand." And he was absolutely right (the racquet goes forward before moving to the side). Every time I'm feeling my forehand is not natural, I revert to that little exercise. Anyway, don't try to learn every stinkin' little thing. Take from the camp one or two "break-through" points.

As for a ball machine, if you don't have a regular hitting partner, consider a ball machine. Otherwise, no. They can be heavy.

iconoclast
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
That's exactly my goal. I haven't been in any tennis camps, but I think tennis instruction needs to be of some quality to be useful. Also, to enjoy it. Otherwise, one may spend the whole time thinking what a waste. The insightful feedback from traveljarm, paulfreda, and severitup911 was very helpful in making a decision.

As for the ball machine, I thought about it after reading about the structure of the clinic and chess9 practicing using one. But you're right. I wanted to have some feedback, but I know that I'd use it one or twice and that'd be the end of it.

Happy Friday!