PDA

View Full Version : Playing an ex-pro. Should I be concerned?

tennisfreak
05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok here is the situation:

A new girl started at work today, and somehow the topic of tennis came up. Turns out, according to her, she used to be pro, played in the tour mainly in Europe. Played a lot in the Juniors. Ranked as high as 700 in the world. Anyways, we're going to have a tennis date, and we've already started the trashtalking. I've told her I'm gonna run her silly. I'm a 4.0 recreational player, play 2 to 3 times a week during the summer.

The question is this:

Should I be concerned for my fragile male ego?

Thanks.

Andres
05-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, you should. ;)

serveitup911
05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
If what she said is true and she has been playing recently, you will be in for a thrashing.

She could be lying, and not even be very good though.

Ace
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Please post the results. I would love to know how it went.

Fatmike
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Hum... someone told me that top wta players are equivalent to strong 5.5 male players.

Post the results.

pero
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
definetly yes, although if you mix your game, for example playing two deep spins and than a volley or drop, if you have quality for that, you should crush her. female players, eaven pro's are definetly not used to it

VGP
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Is she cute?

sureshs
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Google her to verify her claims.

shawn1122
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Is she cute?

splink779
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Just use slice, thats all u gotta do.

8PAQ
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Hum... someone told me that top wta players are equivalent to strong 5.5 male players.

Post the results.

I think he means she was top 700 junior and not top 700 WTA.

I bet if he is quick and has fast serve then he should be able to beat her. I played some girls that have better ground strokes than me and who looked way better than me in warm up rallies, but when we played real games I would win. My my pretty bad serve would cause problems for them. Also, I am faster then them. Finally, they had hard time dealing my high bouncing shots which taller guys would have no problems with. All you need is to take her out of her comfort strike zone and her otherwise superior ground strokes won't look so good anymore.

Vlad
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Well you may be able to win.... a game or two..

sureshs
05-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Well you may be able to win.... a game or two..

He maybe so handsome she might lose to him on purpose ....

alfa164164
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
4.0 rec player?
You will get killed unless she has undergone a recent leg amputation.

GRANITECHIEF
05-23-2006, 02:33 PM
I played a set with this dude:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playernumber=A367

It says his highest ranking was 817. I held serve (2 aces included) then had a BP to go up 2-0. Then he realized that i wasn't f'ing around and he got down to business and won the next 6 games. Tons of top, great touch with droppers and short angles, and generally getting me on the yo-yo coast to coast.

If you were a very strong 4.5 or a low 5.0 you might have a punchers chance, provided you are "ON". But otherwise she'll probably thrash you. However, if she is cute (probably has a nice body at least), then i'd bet her dinner on it to make it a win-win.

Rob_C
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
I think he means she was top 700 junior and not top 700 WTA.

I bet if he is quick and has fast serve then he should be able to beat her. I played some girls that have better ground strokes than me and who looked way better than me in warm up rallies, but when we played real games I would win. My my pretty bad serve would cause problems for them. Also, I am faster then them. Finally, they had hard time dealing my high bouncing shots which taller guys would have no problems with. All you need is to take her out of her comfort strike zone and her otherwise superior ground strokes won't look so good anymore.

The title says ex-pro, not ex-junior, so I'm pretty sure she was on the WTA tour. And, if he's a 4.0, I'm pretty sure she's gonna win, fairly easily.

VGP
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
I played a set with this dude:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playernumber=A367

It says his highest ranking was 817. I held serve (2 aces included) then had a BP to go up 2-0. Then he realized that i wasn't f'ing around and he got down to business and won the next 6 games. Tons of top, great touch with droppers and short angles, and generally getting me on the yo-yo coast to coast.

If you were a very strong 4.5 or a low 5.0 you might have a punchers chance, provided you are "ON". But otherwise she'll probably thrash you. However, if she is cute (probably has a nice body at least), then i'd bet her dinner on it to make it a win-win.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about......

8PAQ
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
The title says ex-pro, not ex-junior, so I'm pretty sure she was on the WTA tour. And, if he's a 4.0, I'm pretty sure she's gonna win, fairly easily.

Ok if she was recently a top 700 WTA then he is gonna lose no doubt.

peter
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Thanks.

Definitely. Be afraid. Very afraid. She'll run *you* silly!

fbone
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
4.0 rec player?
You will get killed unless she has undergone a recent leg amputation.

Too funny...:mrgreen:

Wtitanium
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Any results yet?

Edit: Nevermind, you just made this topic today. We will be waiting for the results.

Midlife crisis
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I've recently played a woman who is a few years removed from playing #3 or #4 singles at a D1 college and it is very close between us. If I hit normally, using moderate topspin and underspin, she beats me because she can seemingly hit all day from the baseline making few mistakes. If I hit looping topspins to her, low slices to her, make her come in and then try to volley, or bash the ball to overpower her, I beat her pretty easily but she obviously is not enjoying the match. (When I lamented about this, some one posted "it's about her, not about you". I don't remember who that was, but I owe you a big thank you for that stark realization). I play low 5.0 level.

If you are competitive as a 4.0, my honest guess would be that you don't have enough variety nor consistency to bother her game, and she'll probably thrash you double-bagel or maybe 1 and 1 if you can do something that really bothers her.

The big question though, like others have said, is: "Are you single and is she single?"

peter
05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Any results yet?

Edit: Nevermind, you just made this topic today. We will be waiting for the results.

Definitely. Btw, I think he should post the place and time of this match so that others would have a chance to attend this blowout and have some fun at his expense! :-)

pound cat
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Now, after you have generated all these replys to your thread, we all expect

A scan of the newspaper sports clipping who's headline will read something lke this

"Wtitanium wins game off former 700 woman player"

"Look out Roger, here I come!" he said in the post match interview.

BabolatFan
05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
She was 700? You're 4.0? Well if this is a fact, then dude you're the master of disaster. Hope nobody will be around when you two play and that she's not out to humiliate you silly like that...

Zeph
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
ohh wow, your probably going to get owned.

If she was 700 in the world at one point, and your 4.0, your not going to win.

Unless she is 75 years old and your 25.

LordRaceR
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20014153

She is highest ranked WTA/ITF player I played with. Great and accurate shots, nice angles with serve, good volleys, quick mover. I could win only if I used full power, but that is not very nice, so I tried to play at little slower pace, using just 2nd server and trying to construct point and outsmart her. In that kind of play, she is very, very tough opponent and its pretty hard to overcome.

dubsplayer
05-23-2006, 04:54 PM
The woman pro at my club played on tour back in the mid to late 80's. She wasn't close to the top, barely cracked the top 100. She's now in her early 40's and can crush the best male players at my club. You're gonna be toast.

katarddx
05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
dude, just let her win!

:)

Volly master
05-23-2006, 05:27 PM
good luck mate

str33t
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
you are a dead man

Joe Average
05-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Gosh. I'm envious. Someone who is better than you ... perhaps much better than you wants to hit? How often does that happen? When was the last time a 5.5 guy invited you to hit? Feel honored. Learn from the experience ... learn how the game is supposed to be played. I'm a 4.0 and I consider myself a hack. Leave your fragile ego at home. Or else make up some lame excuse and avoid looking yourself in the mirror for a year or two.

J-man
05-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Just play your best. I don't think you will get more than 3 games on her

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I heard that the top wta players are equivalent to college div 1 men players.

!<-_->!
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Really depends. My pathetic excuse for coach claims to have played college, full sponsorship by Prince (when playing college), won national public park tourny, etc. Yet when it comes down to it, she can't even return my serve, can't handle topspin, etc. etc. I play crappy HS tennis, so can't be that good. So it really could be all BS. But whichever it is, best of luck.

Max G.
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
The woman pro at my club played on tour back in the mid to late 80's. She wasn't close to the top, barely cracked the top 100. She's now in her early 40's and can crush the best male players at my club. You're gonna be toast.

Well, barely cracked top 100 is a lot better than barely cracked top 700...

woody6.1
05-23-2006, 06:21 PM
if you win, good. if you lose, just play it off like you let her win. haha

tennis_nerd22
05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Now, after you have generated all these replys to your thread, we all expect

A scan of the newspaper sports clipping who's headline will read something lke this

"Wtitanium wins game off former 700 woman player"

"Look out Roger, here I come!" he said in the post match interview.

OMG ROFL!! :D :D... im still laughing about that one...

tennis_nerd22
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
you know, i feel better playing someone who's better than you, heaps less pressure. only thing ive got to learn in that situation is not to give up too easily ;)

have fun (its win-win either way; a "win" or a "girlfriend win")

"dun see nuttin wrong wid tha shizzle nizzle. don ge into da tizzle, go for da nizzle..." said wyutani.

tennisfreak
05-23-2006, 06:38 PM
No results yet. But I just came back from playing a buddy of mine who is ten years removed from playing D2 tennis. He is probably at about 5.0 to 5.5 right now. We played two sets which he won 6-0, 6-3. He doesn't think I can out-strategize or out-consistent her, but he thinks I can probably overpower her. So he tells me to hit lights out and hope for the best :)

So given the feedback, I've revised my goal from giving her a thrashing to being able to get a few games from her and make it challenging enough so she'll consider playing with me again. I'll try to post the results by some time next week.

BTW, she is quite cute, but alas, I'm not single. Don't know about her though.

VGP
05-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Name? or hints at least?

@wright
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Tell Anna I said "hi"

8PAQ
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Tell Anna I said "hi"

Hey! You are back! @wright, you missed some crazy *** Nadal vs Fed fan forum wars. After Montecarlo and Rome finals 99% of posts were about the same thing over and over and over. We needed you man! We lost a lot good men out there in the trenches. Both sides did.

tennis_nerd22
05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey! You are back! @wright, you missed some crazy *** Nadal vs Fed fan forum wars. After Montecarlo and Rome finals 99% of posts were about the same thing over and over and over. We needed you man! We lost a lot good men out there in the trenches. Both sides did.

R O F L :D :mrgreen:

tennis_nerd22
05-23-2006, 07:35 PM
BTW, she is quite cute, but alas, I'm not single. Don't know about her though.

aww that takes the fun out of it... ;)

mistapooh
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Be a gentleman and "let" her win, haha =).

superman1
05-23-2006, 09:40 PM
You can either beat her by giving her a lot of junk (slice the ball short, loop the ball high to her backhand, drop shots) and come in and volley, if you can, since she's probably not used to hitting a lot of passing shots. If that doesn't work, hit the ball as hard as you possibly can right at her feet. Just make it an unpleasant experience all around.

Or, you can have fun out there, make jokes as you're hitting the ball, and pretty much let her beat you. Then ask her for out for dinner.

I'd probably do a little bit of both.

str33t
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Be a gentleman and "let" her win, haha =).
pun intended ? ;)

arosen
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM

I'm a 4.0 recreational player, play 2 to 3 times a week during the summer.

The question is this:

Thanks.

Figure out the way to get her to the net, I betcha she sucks at net, they all bash it from the baseline, especially girls. I say, keep it fun, you know, make it about having a good time, not who is a better player. Play some tricky shots, pull her in, lob her, drop shot her, that kind of staff. Congratulate her on every good shot. Remember, you are one lucky sun of a gun to find a hottie who can hit a ball well.

sandiegotennisboy
05-24-2006, 12:14 AM
you probably wont last long if you try to rally with her. i would go for kill shots on anything short or force her to go to net and have her win the point that way.

the sucky thing is if you win, she probably wont play with you again because you have bruised her ego and demonstrated what a bad gentleman you are.

the other sucky thing is if you lose, she might view you as a sissy. if you lose really bad, then you are viewed as an out of shape sissy.

the only recourse is to make it look like youre having a lot of fun eventhough you might be really stressing out

Rob_C
05-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Really depends. My pathetic excuse for coach claims to have played college, full sponsorship by Prince (when playing college), won national public park tourny, etc. Yet when it comes down to it, she can't even return my serve, can't handle topspin, etc. etc. I play crappy HS tennis, so can't be that good. So it really could be all BS. But whichever it is, best of luck.

Just b/c your coach played college doesnt mean she played at a high level, or even was high up on the team ladder, she could have played D2, D3, or NAIA. Also, its routine for the top 4 players at any 4 yr school to get deals from racket companies.

Lastly, Womens Open tournaments pretty much suck. I'm assuming she plays Open tournaments. Women dont seem to compete as much as men after jrs.

@wright
05-24-2006, 03:20 AM
8PAQ - I've been lurking, just didn't want to get bogged down in flame wars/discussions. I may test the waters a little more. It's an exciting time in tennis, I couldn't stay away!

pound cat
05-24-2006, 05:02 AM
OMG ROFL!! :D :D... im still laughing about that one...

Watch for the article in the Citizen.

dubsplayer
05-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Well, barely cracked top 100 is a lot better than barely cracked top 700...

LOL. True. But was in the 80's and not nearly the depth then as there is today. And she's a little bit of a thing. She probably couldn't even make it as a touring pro today. Which is not to say she doesn't have game, because she does - which is why she can easily beat club players. It just cracks me up when club players on message boards actually think they can play "even" with or beat anyone who is even ranked 700th in the world.

treo
05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
I was once taking group lessons with a female tennis pro who came to the US from Hungary where she trained as a junior with Anke Huber. She retired about ten years ago and was #1 singles at UCLA and ranked 564 in the WTA. I've watched her hit with other guys and she looked like a typical lower ranked WTA player with a trademark shot of hitting the ball early and flat for winners. So the other students were late so we started playing games. I'm a 4.0 male and I was surprised that I could hold my serve. She made many return errors and if I could maintain control of the point, I had a chance of winning that point. Anything short was a put away for her. Typical of lower ranked WTA players, her serve was not great and I could put her on the defensive with a good return. I think a 4.0 guy can do well against a low ranked WTA pro with a strong serve, return and playing aggressive and deep. A 700 ranked WTA player is probably an average D1 women's college player.

baseliner
05-24-2006, 07:49 AM
There is so much more depth in tennis today than when I was in college. In the early 70's I never played college but had friends who played on a D-2 team. I could beat the 3-6 singles players but not #1 or 2. I regularly played the D-1 girls at my University and could beat them easily. Now realize this was before Title 9 and the plethora of scholarships. At best I was 5.0. Given the difference between D-1 players and WTA, I would say 30 years ago a 4.0 would lose badly to #700 WTA. Possiblu hope for a 2 and 2 loss. Today with the increased depth and quality in ladies tennis, my guess is hope for one game. My advice, enjoy it to the max.

joe sch
05-24-2006, 08:01 AM
How do you like your bagels ?
You only hope is that she has a weak server and you have an offensive service return.
If these conditions are true, attempt to hit all service returns for winners and maybe you can win a game, especially if she gives you a few dfaults ...

Dolfan
05-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Im a 4.0 and I played a female that was 1 year out of college (small school) and she beat me 6-0 , 6-0 . She kept the ball deep and never missed .

sureshs
05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Can you record the match and post the video here? Might want to get her permission first.

Andres
05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Play some tricky shots, pull her in, lob her, drop shot her, that kind of staff. Congratulate her on every good shot. Remember, you are one lucky sun of a gun to find a hottie who can hit a ball well.
Exactly. That's what you gotta do, have fun. Try lots of dropshots, topspin lobs, backspin lobs, between the legs shots, behind the leg shots, around the back shots. You don't have to succeed on those, just show her you're having a good time and wanna goof around a bit. You can't beat her anyway :)

wyutani
05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
it's a girl?

Radical97
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
if you win you may have to foot the bill for an expensive dinner afterwards...;)
have played 2 ladies inside WTA 700, 2 years after their highest ranking

lucky leprechaun
05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
she used to be pro, played in the tour mainly in Europe. Played a lot in the Juniors. Ranked as high as 700 in the world........I'm a 4.0 recreational player

You're going to get pummeled :p

LN_Dad
05-24-2006, 08:56 PM
You'll be lucky to win 1 point a game. No 4.0 player has enough variety and consistency to keep up with someone who played in the WTA no matter how low her ranking. She'll beat you 0 and 0 in about 20mns.

tennis_nerd22
05-25-2006, 12:22 PM
its ok though, admire the view ;)

marc
05-25-2006, 12:56 PM
listen, here is what you guys have to realize:
1. the level of a former tour player's game drops big-time when they are off the tour and no longer practicing and playing day-in and day-out with players at their level.

2. the level that a player used to reach in a match at the pro level is very difficult to reach when they are playing a 4.0 club player because of a)focus- there is no urgency in the situation (not playing for bread) and b)you aren't giving them anything decent to hit.

3. it is no fun for a former player to play with a club player if they are not getting paid. by play i mean actually play a set. because they have absolutely nothing to gain from it. they are SUPPOSED to win. just hitting is a different story. but still kinda similar; the pro will probably drag his/her feet, chase your balls down and miss some shots because his mind is so far from the court (trust me, this is what i do all the time when friends ask to hit). and then this leaves the club players with the impression that he can hang...

as to answer some other thoughts i read on this post--

yeah good D1 college guys can handle girls that are top 100. not super easy but not super difficult either. just requires some focus.

top 10 WTA is a different story. you better be in shape because these girls are fit and can hit all day. and you better bring your "A" game. but still, a very good college player playing in mid-season form can handle these girls. but not as easily as 5-10 years ago.

but measuring women's tennis by mens tennis is stupid and only for guys who are insecure. even without trying to do so it takes away from the womens game. these girls are world-class...its a totally different game.

and fyi- top 700 girls are like girls who are top 25-75 ncaa. womens circuit is still not THAT deep.

LN_Dad
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
listen, here is what you guys have to realize:
1. the level of a former tour player's game drops big-time when they are off the tour and no longer practicing and playing day-in and day-out with players at their level.

This chick could be lifting a racket for the first time in 6mos and still destroy a 4.0 guy 6-0. We're not talking about a DI player here; it's 4.0.

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
so did this guy lose or what?

lucky leprechaun
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm sure he lost, the question is by how much, and how much female sympathy was involved :mrgreen:

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm sure he lost, the question is by how much, and how much female sympathy was involved :mrgreen:

hmm girls can be brutal on the court too. plus the OP has a wifey so if he acted like a jerk to her and gave her any of that machismo bs, she woulda probably opened a can of whoopass on him.

Mike Danger
05-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey id let a Good girl player win. I figure even if she could beat me, well I let her win anyway, so we'll never know... ;-)

foetz
05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey id let a Good girl player win. I figure even if she could beat me, well I let her win anyway, so we'll never know... ;-)

gentlemen's way :p

Max G.
05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
So, what were the results? I'm curious!

kevhen
05-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I doubt you will be able to overpower her, but her volley might be her biggest weakness so bring her to net when possible.

When I played a formerly ranked D1 women's player from South Florida (still playing at a 4.5 men's level in her late 20's and winning the local women's Open level tournies), she could handle my power (110mph serves on a very fast surface). She struggled more with slice serve spins. I couldn't bring her to net on this fast surface where the ball skids forward but if I played her on slow hardcourt, I would be hitting lots of dropshots and short slice and then passing or lobbing her. She beat me 4 and 3 and I am a very strong 4.0.

You will likely lose badly like 1 and 1 as she may be nice and let you win a couple. This woman let me win the 3rd set we played in a tiebreaker, but even though I played well, I think she let up a little bit. Good luck, have fun, and maybe apologize now for any trashtalking before she hurts you.

Rickson
05-27-2006, 07:01 PM

A new girl started at work today, and somehow the topic of tennis came up. Turns out, according to her, she used to be pro, played in the tour mainly in Europe. Played a lot in the Juniors. Ranked as high as 700 in the world. Anyways, we're going to have a tennis date, and we've already started the trashtalking. I've told her I'm gonna run her silly. I'm a 4.0 recreational player, play 2 to 3 times a week during the summer.

The question is this:

Thanks.No need to stress too much. I once played a former European league female basketball pro and I whipped her. You had to see the look on her face when she thought she had blown by me for a layup, only to have me swat that ball from behind. Anyway, she was definitely good for a girl, but her pro basketball experience didn't help her beat a guy with a major vertical leap advantage over her. If you're more athletic than this girl, you have a good chance, but if she's still in good tennis shape, you might have a little reason to worry.

Andres
05-27-2006, 11:19 PM
No need to stress too much. I once played a former European league female basketball pro and I whipped her. You had to see the look on her face when she thought she had blown by me for a layup, only to have me swat that ball from behind. Anyway, she was definitely good for a girl, but her pro basketball experience didn't help her beat a guy with a major vertical leap advantage over her. If you're more athletic than this girl, you have a good chance, but if she's still in good tennis shape, you might have a little reason to worry.
There's no point of comparing both sports... rick... that doesn't make any sense!

lucky leprechaun
05-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Rickson! you are the greatest! is that really you in the avatar? I want your autograph :mrgreen:

sureshs
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
So what was the outcome?

kevhen
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah, basketball and tennis are quite different. I shut down two All American voted women in bball, one my sister 6' D3 player who led the nation in shooting percentage and another one at my university who was also 6' with hops. I am taller at 6'4 and could outjump both. I have played one ranked D1 college female in tennis and she beat me 4 and 3. Vertical leaping and physical strength don't mean too much in tennis so women can compete much closer than in tennis.

sureshs
05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I think he lost badly and quit tennis altogether.

nswelshman
05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Drop shot her, slice her, bring her to net....

All sounds really good in theory, based on the idea that she is probably an accomplished baseliner who is uncomfortable in these other situations.

But have many people taken into account how difficult it is to execute effective drops shots or slice off a ball that lands 2 feet inside the baseline and is skimming and speeding along at the level of your knees. People need to further realise how effective these players are off anything that lands short. Forget volleys, she will probably wont need to because she will break any ball that she can hit when she is inside the baseline.

shindemac
05-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, I'd be more motivated. How many chances does the average person get to play someone of this caliber? I'd play her as often as I could. On the other hand, she would probably not want to hit with him again cause it ain't fun playing scrubs.

Bungalo Bill
05-31-2006, 07:41 PM

The question is this:

Thanks.

YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED. BE VERY CONCERNED.

foetz
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
what's up here? did you play? :p

MasterTS
07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
what's up here? did you play? :p

No he chickened out.. Instead he called me up, and I beat her up 6-4, 6-1.. Then we played at her place afterwards. She likes a man that can spank her on and off the courts.

Ronnie7
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Is she cute?

Yeah, is she hot?

tennis_nerd22
07-06-2006, 05:32 PM
No he chickened out.. Instead he called me up, and I beat her up 6-4, 6-1.. Then we played at her place afterwards. She likes a man that can spank her on and off the courts.

LOLLLLLL

looseswing
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Why does this thread always randomly pop up?

LN_Dad
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Why does this thread always randomly pop up?
Because people want an update. Is that ok with you?

HyperHorse
07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Where's The Result!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?
I Want To Hear A Result!!!!!
*roar* :rolleyes: :mrgreen: :evil:

theartoftennis
07-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Isn't it obvious that the result wasn't very good? :P

topspin kid
07-07-2006, 08:55 PM
i seen the match it was this hot girl beating this old geezer 6-0 6-0. it was horrible i want to stop the match to help her from playing such a loser.
when he lost he said that he hate women and is never coming out of his g@y's roomate's house again.:(

sinatra161
07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I can't believe I just read through 7 pages of posts and never found out the ending of the story!I feel like I just read a book with the last chapter missing!

retroceso
07-18-2006, 11:55 PM
play it off!!!!!! just say i let you win. you know that stuff. overall be concerned

Discovery660
07-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Did she whip up on you or not? :)

rasajadad
07-19-2006, 04:11 AM
I think you'll probably be crying by the end of the warmup! (jk?)

Ano
07-19-2006, 04:37 AM
I can't wait for the result!!!

Tennisfreak, if she plays all out, my guess is that you will get no more than 2 games each set.

Ano
07-19-2006, 04:51 AM

Post the results.

No way...

In the late seventies or early eighties, Tennis magazine run an article titled " Can a good male club player beat a female pro?"

Tennis Magazine writer at that time (David Wiltze, who was a 5.5 NTRP) played a match with Beth Norton (who once ranked 27 in WTA Tour). In the first set they played evenly because each game started 15-0 in David favour.

In the second set they played normally, and Beth beat him badly.

In another article also in Tennis Magazine, David Wiltze played against Marthie Riesen ( A top male double player at that time), and David got a total of 2 games in 2 sets, under this conditions : each game started 30-0 in David favour, and Marthie Riesen wasn't allowed to hit a lob.

rasajadad
07-19-2006, 05:40 AM
No way...

In the late seventies or early eighties, Tennis magazine run an article titled " Can a good male club player beat a female pro?"

Tennis Magazine writer at that time (David Wiltze, who was a 5.5 NTRP) played a match with Beth Norton (who once ranked 27 in WTA Tour). In the first set they played evenly because each game started 15-0 in David favour.

In the second set they played normally, and Beth beat him badly.

In another article also in Tennis Magazine, David Wiltze played against Marthie Riesen ( A top male double player at that time), and David got a total of 2 games in 2 sets, under this conditions : each game started 30-0 in David favour, and Marthie Riesen wasn't allowed to hit a lob.

Ano - Do you recall the age differentials?

I do recall the Esquire article in the 90's where their editor (a guy I played with and a 5.0) played Agassi straight up. Agassi didn't lose more than 1 point in any game, nor did he lose 6 points in a two set match.

Ano
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Ano - Do you recall the age differentials?

I do recall the Esquire article in the 90's where their editor (a guy I played with and a 5.0) played Agassi straight up. Agassi didn't lose more than 1 point in any game, nor did he lose 6 points in a two set match.

I've just found the magazine, the article about David Wiltse playing Beth Norton was in Tennis magazine, December, 1979. And my memory serves me right. The First set was fairly even, because David got one point advantage every game. In the second set David dropped the advantage and played her straight, and she beat him badly.

David Wiltse didn't tell his age. His heigth was 5 feet 11 inches and weighed 175 pounds. (From his pictures that I saw in Tennis Magazines, I guess he was in the late thirties or early forties, but I'm not sure). :confused:

On the other hand, Beth Norton height was 5 feet 3 inches and weighed 115 pounds. She was National girls 18-and-under champion in 1975, and turned professional soon after that.

David and Beth played in 1979, so I guess Beth was around 21 years old at that time.

Before they played, at one point Beth had been ranked no. 20 in the world on the woman players' computer. And she stood at No. 29 when she left the tour temporarily to develop a two-handed backhand under the guidance of her brother and coach, Tim, who was him self an active satellite player.

So when they played, Beth had just been comeback to the tour with a new two-handed backhand.

David had a good serve that had been his weapon against superior player. But it was not a better serve than Beth was used to seeing.

After the match, Beth complimented David's serve, saying that a couple of girls on the tour have serves like David's.

David asked eagerly which girls on tour serves like his, figuring Beth would say Navtratilova or Pam Shriver or Virginia Wade.

But Beth answered that Kate Latham's second serve is lot like that.:mrgreen:

theartoftennis
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I remember Venus, at her prime, playing someone like the 100th in the world on the men's side, and the guy destroyed her like 0 and 1 or whatever.

decroo15
07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, be scared

Ano
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
I remember Venus, at her prime, playing someone like the 100th in the world on the men's side, and the guy destroyed her like 0 and 1 or whatever.

IF my memory serves me right again, Venus and Serena said that they could beat any man ranked outside the top 200 on ATP.

Karsten Brach, a German ranked 206 at the time ( This happened in 1999 Australian Open if I'm not mistaken) accepted their challenge.

In the morning of their matches, Karsten played golf and then smoked half a pack of ciggarettes, and then beat Venus 6-1, then beat Serena 6-2. :mrgreen:

He said he only hit his serves like he was only ranked no. 600 in the world.

batakdepores
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
In 1998 Serena jokingly challenged Karsten Braasch of Germany, then-ranked No. 200. Until that time, the pack-a-day smoker was best known as the impetus for the ban on smoking during changeovers. The match, played on a practice court with little fanfare, wasn't close. Mr. Brasch beat Serena 6-1, then turned around and beat Venus 6-2.

http://www.2blowhards.com/archives/2003/05/tennis_gals_vs_tennis_guys.html