PDA

View Full Version : locate a "mystery" player's history?

AR15
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I started playing tennis this year in a 3.0 league. I just finished playing intwo different spring 3.0 men's leagues. One was a USTA league, and the other was a local league. I think I have a good understanding of 3.0 level talent (or lack of).

Other days of the week, I sometimes practice with my clubs 3.5 and 4.0 players.

Last weekend, a local Summer 3.0 league started. Our opposing team had a "new" player who crushed everyone on our team in singles and doubles. The fellow was about 50 years old, in superb physical condition, and played what looked to be at least 4.0 level tennis. He was a serve and volley player with a powerful serve that rarely got returned. This fellow said he had never played any league tennis and just moved from across the country. I smell a rat.

I looked him up under USTA and couldn't find him.

Any ideas on how I might find out his tennis background?

devilish_duke
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Google him with "tennis league" in the search string as well? Maybe search ALTA's database if one exists.

AR15
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I tried that. Unfortunately, he has the same name as a popular major LEAGUE baseball player.

10ispro
05-23-2006, 05:43 PM
if its a big problem for everyone else in the league, one option for you is to talk to your friends on other teams and file a grievance against the player in question. USTA Leagues typically have a 3 strike rule, so if 3 verified team captains file a grievance and there is suffcient evidence in the form of matches and scores to support the case, the player will be bumped up, in some instances it can be immediate and all matches played that season will be voided and counted as a loss for him and a win for the team.

I have a friend in his mid 40s who self rated as a 4.0 and has won every singles match so far this season and was just DQ'd in mid season.So all his wins count as a loss.
so the team he was on was 6-1 and is now 3-4.

Self Rated players will be under more scrutiny than verifed players.due to the elite player rule.