PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shot Practice

Wtitanium
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Do any of you know of a good drill for working on drop shots? I always get run around the court, and alot of the time, I could easily close out the point with a drop shot, but mine are really inconsistent and so I tend not to use them. I usually end up winning the point but I get tired fast, so winning the set is really hard. Any tips would be appreciated.

ramseszerg
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
What I do is I hit against the wall. One of the things the wall is good for.

Midlife crisis
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Do any of you know of a good drill for working on drop shots? I always get run around the court, and alot of the time, I could easily close out the point with a drop shot, but mine are really inconsistent and so I tend not to use them. I usually end up winning the point but I get tired fast, so winning the set is really hard. Any tips would be appreciated.

I work on stuff like this all the time with my son. One drill we do is where I stand on the baseline, feed him a ball to his (lefty) backhand, he practices hitting it down the line, and then I hit it back crosscourt. You can modify this so that you feed someone a ball, they hit it to your backhand, and then you practice your drop shot. This goes much faster because both of you are getting practice in at the same time, and you have the variability of doing it again a variety of incoming shots.

Wtitanium
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a good drill, and I will try it with my hitting partner the next time that we practice.

Also, does anybody know how to hit a slice shot that doesn't lob up? I saw a video and the guy hit drop shots, but they went over the net as a normal forehand would, except for with backspin, and not nopsin. How do you do that?

takeuchi
05-23-2006, 03:36 PM
i watched one of those ustpa things on the tennis channel about the drop shot. The instructor talked about the segmented swing. You take a very short backswing (just like a slice bh except open the face a little bit more) and stop your follow through right as you hit the ball or just after. This way you still get a lot of spin and arch, but it doesn't pop up as high. If it is popping up too much, you may be swinging too hard.

jackson vile
05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
That sounds good, what I do is I cut down really hard, but some times I end up poping it up, perhaps I should try being lighter, but I am so used to super spin

Pomeranian
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
What makes a drop shot effective is dependant on a couple things.

1. When you use it, if you're opponent is well behind the baseline or off balance it's better.
2. How disguised your drop shot is, if they don't expect it, it's much better.
3. How high your drop shot is, too high over the net gives too much time for your opponent.
4. How much forward momentum it has, you want as little of this as possible.

Cutting the ball doesn't make a good drop shot, has a lot of backspin but too much forward momentum. You can use that short slice for drawing people to the net.

Try practicing your drop shots with the goal of having the ball not go too high over the net and bounce three times at least before going over the service line.