PDA

View Full Version : not your typical backhand thread

Rickson
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
After all those "should I switch to the 1 hander?" threads, I've decided to ask another question about backhands on this thread. OK, I made the switch 2 years ago and I'm happy, but the backhand is still my weaker side. If I work almost exclusively on backhands, will my forehand suffer? I want my backhand to improve, but I don't want to make my forehand worse in the process. Practice more backhands than forehands or just keep hitting from whichever side the ball lands in practice?

travlerajm
05-23-2006, 11:16 PM
I say it's time to build some muscle memories on your backhand. Run around forehands to hit backhands in practice matches. If your forehand's your better side, you're unlikely to forget how to hit it when you need it down the road, since your muscle memory is already well-etched on that wing.

chess9
05-24-2006, 12:09 AM
If your mechanics are sound, then walls, ball machine, or drills with a partner are best, IMHO. Playing is also necessary to put the shot under real pressure, though partner drills should do that as well. When I'm working on a stroke, I will often hit 10,000 to 20,000 balls with that new stroke before I play a single game using it. I did about 40,000 balls with my forehand change to topspin (I changed grips from Cont. to SW), but I'm getting ready to hit another segment of 10,000 balls because my pro says I'm not dropping the racquet head enough at the back of the swing. This forehand has been my nemesis regardless of how I hit it. My topspin backhand came along much quicker.

-Robert

jackson vile
05-24-2006, 12:09 PM
If your mechanics are sound, then walls, ball machine, or drills with a partner are best, IMHO. Playing is also necessary to put the shot under real pressure, though partner drills should do that as well. When I'm working on a stroke, I will often hit 10,000 to 20,000 balls with that new stroke before I play a single game using it. I did about 40,000 balls with my forehand change to topspin (I changed grips from Cont. to SW), but I'm getting ready to hit another segment of 10,000 balls because my pro says I'm not dropping the racquet head enough at the back of the swing. This forehand has been my nemesis regardless of how I hit it. My topspin backhand came along much quicker.

-Robert

Wow is that all in one day?

As for the question, I say practice both, just more the bachhand more.

IMO the 1hbh is easier anyways and hit like a forehand, but really sometimes you will be forced to use the 2hbh and the slice.

I really don't think one is better than the other, but rathere there is a place and time for each.

kevhen
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I have been working on my forehand the last year or so and my backhand eventually did start to suffer but now I am trying to balance them out and all are coming together much better again now.

Maybe hit 2/3 backhands and 1/3 forehands in practice but don't neglect the forehand much more than that as you work on the backhand.

Slazenger
05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
IMO the 1hbh is easier anyways and hit like a forehand, but really sometimes you will be forced to use the 2hbh and the slice.

The 1HBH is definitely not hit like a forehand. The 2HBH (both open and closed stance) is much more like the forehand than the 1hander in terms of footwork and actual stroke mechanics.

To the OP:
If you work exclusively on backhands, your forehand will suffer. How much it will suffer depends on how good your forehand is.
I agree that you should put in some forehand practise while focusing on the BH.
Don't forget the BH slice as well.

habib
05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
The 1HBH is definitely not hit like a forehand. The 2HBH (both open and closed stance) is much more like the forehand than the 1hander in terms of footwork and actual stroke mechanics.

The statement would perhaps be more accurate if one were to say that a 1HBH is similar to a continental/eastern grip, closed-stance forehand.

jackson vile
05-24-2006, 01:38 PM

To the OP:
If you work exclusively on backhands, your forehand will suffer. How much it will suffer depends on how good your forehand is.
I agree that you should put in some forehand practise while focusing on the BH.
Don't forget the BH slice as well.

I am talking about the speed and angles, it is like having two forehands, no defensive or weak side, kinda like Richard G.