PDA

View Full Version : Classic vs. Modern...

waves2ya
05-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Some pretty fascinating stuff (thank you guys) from Jeff, BB and others (including books cited) concerning 'old/classic' & 'new/modern' strokes.

Seems a cornerstone in this argument - the stroke most easily identified - is the forehand. Then the serve; can you discuss the degree to which other shots (1 hd topspin backhand, approach, volley) is also impacted by the 'classic/modern' analysis (and incredible video technology)?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

Duzza
05-24-2006, 04:09 AM
the question doesnt make sense to me... so you want us to compare a classic volley compared to a modern volley?

Ash Doyle
05-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Tennis technique has changed over the years, and people discuss the differences between the "classic" and "modern" styles. These discussions usually just involve the forehand. I think the OP is asking for someone to give a quick breakdown on how the other strokes (backhand, volley, serve) have progressed over the years. I'm curious to hear BB's input on this one too.

AngeloDS
05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Classic is really more about timing and technique. While modern tennis requires more on using your whole body to produce the shot (upper body rotation, legs etc.). You can hit very late and still make good shots, you can have poor technique and still make good shots.

But combining classic and modern together = good thing.

nViATi
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
You can hit very late and still make good shots, you can have poor technique and still make good shots.
I think that also has to do with the lighter more powerful racquets available now.

Amone
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
The point, though, nViATi, that many people make is that the lighter, more powerful racquets caused the change in styles, so I have to agree with you but at the same time say that you're begging the question.

waves2ya
06-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Interesting article in the IHT on the "modern" forehand...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/25/news/rwtechnic.php

What makes Federer unusual and devastating is that he makes use of the windshield wiper effect on his forehand with a much more neutral grip: more modified eastern, or classical, than semi-western